PDA

View Full Version : Game design schools: opinions?

Rapsheba555
08-19-2009, 05:26 AM
So, colleges. i'm looking at them. fun right? :D Okay, I'll get serious. I was wondering if anyone here has been through or knows significantly about the game design programs at the following schools:

-Pratt
-George Mason U
-RPI
-Carnegie-Mellon

Those are my top schools at this point, and the last 3 have shown real interest in my abilities and of course, SAT scores. i feel that i could easily get into any of the last 3, and the first one could be managed as well. So, does anyone have opinions on these? I've looked at Fullsail, but I've decided that I want a full-service college, though I plan on doing my masters at FullSail. I mean, you don't get much better than FullSail. Still, I want a college where I could actually get a GED as well.

So, begin! :P Thankies! :D

~Raps

Pandaren117
08-19-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm a highschool senior, but USC in California has an Interactive Media division under the School of Cinematic arts. You should look into it, maybe, and ask for a brochure. It's game design looks like.

Rebeccak
08-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Whoops, I didn't read your post carefully enough...GMU actually does have a decent reputation for CS.

B4C
08-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Carnegie-Mellon and USC are pretty much pioneering the interactive media major. Their programs have proven to be pretty much equal when comparing what students in their programs have produced. I am currently attending USC and I can provide a little background. As mentioned, Interactive Media is a very reputable program, but something to also look into is what I am studying, Computer Science (games) in the Viterbi School of Engineering. It's a hybrid major offering many of the Interactive Media classes, as well as programming classes. Basically, if your goal is to become a game designer, a computer science background will allow you to communicate better with your programmers and understand hardware and engine limitations that may change your intial game design. You are also introduced to modeling and animation which I believe the IM major does as well.

I think that even if you're aiming to become a game designer, you can and should branch out into other specializations of the video game industry. Realistically, not too many people are hired as game designers right out of school. Computer Science (games) provides you with a solid degree that has a nice starting salary and an option to fall back on. If you're more art-inclined, which it seems like it, the animation division in the School of Cinematic Arts is amazing as well.

I'm planning getting a BS in Computer Science (Games) and a minor in Animation. Then maybe a masters in Animation with an emphasis in lighting. Basically, I'll have reputable degrees to work in Interactive Media, CGI, or Computer Science, a packed portfolio, and the Trojan network. Networking is also something to take into strong consideration.

taxguy
08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I think that the schools that you mentioned such as RIT, RPI are great choices. However, CMU's entertainment technology major is graduate school only.

Have you check out Digipen in Edmonds, Washington. They are developing a strong reputation for game design.

Rapsheba555
08-20-2009, 01:00 AM
I was not aware that CMU's was graduate-only. Is it just a masters program or is basically an undergraduate program where you have to take the masters program to get the degree? I'll have to talk to them to confirm it, but thanks for tipping me off. :P

I forgot to mention I am already well-versed in 3D modeling (I've been doing it for several years now, and like to think I'm, well, decent, though still pretty noobish :lol: ) Three-dimensional modeling is my specialty, and what i really want to focus in, though I still want to be well-rounded and able to do a little of everything, just to make sure i don't get run out of the field by more well-rounded competitors.

I haven't looked at Digipen. Is it a full-service, 4-year college? Because i'm really not interested unless i can get other classes in things like science, psychology, the works. I'll look into it though. :D

I've heard that GMU was ranked #1 college to watch by some report (I forget the name as of now...).

I've looked at Cali, but it's just kinda impractical right now. From both the monetary viewpoint (Not only have I heard of sharp rises in tuition there, higher than average, but the whole state seems to be in a bit of a slump) and the 'it's just not a place i really want to go to right now' standpoint.

I've always wanted to work for Nintendo, so if that tips anyone off as to any other suggestions...

taxguy
08-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Digipen is a full service, 4 year university.

Rapsheba555
08-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Then I'll definitely have to look into it. :D Thanks for the info.

Pandaren117
08-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Carnegie-Mellon and USC are pretty much pioneering the interactive media major. Their programs have proven to be pretty much equal when comparing what students in their programs have produced. I am currently attending USC and I can provide a little background. As mentioned, Interactive Media is a very reputable program, but something to also look into is what I am studying, Computer Science (games) in the Viterbi School of Engineering. It's a hybrid major offering many of the Interactive Media classes, as well as programming classes. Basically, if your goal is to become a game designer, a computer science background will allow you to communicate better with your programmers and understand hardware and engine limitations that may change your intial game design. You are also introduced to modeling and animation which I believe the IM major does as well.

I think that even if you're aiming to become a game designer, you can and should branch out into other specializations of the video game industry. Realistically, not too many people are hired as game designers right out of school. Computer Science (games) provides you with a solid degree that has a nice starting salary and an option to fall back on. If you're more art-inclined, which it seems like it, the animation division in the School of Cinematic Arts is amazing as well.

I'm planning getting a BS in Computer Science (Games) and a minor in Animation. Then maybe a masters in Animation with an emphasis in lighting. Basically, I'll have reputable degrees to work in Interactive Media, CGI, or Computer Science, a packed portfolio, and the Trojan network. Networking is also something to take into strong consideration.

Does the INteractive Media at USC help with game art or digital artistry? I want to be a 2D concept /illustration artist for games or film. I talked to Matthew Lee, Alumni from there, and he's working at Konami, and he said the program was pretty good, but I don't know if it can cater to artists like me or how they do so.

B4C
08-21-2009, 09:15 AM
I can't really say except that it IS geared more towards game design than anything else. Most of the classes are game prototyping and such. I think animation would have more of that or maybe the art department. A core art education is probably more valuable. You could always do a minor in Interactive Media.

Pandaren117
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Is there someway to work with what I want to do, say somehow Major in Fine Arts and minor in interactive, or are there any special interdisciplinaries?

B4C
08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
That's totally possible. I would contact USC to find out more. I don't want to hi-jack this thread anymore than we have. =P

Rapsheba555
08-22-2009, 01:14 AM
well, the one thing that will surprise you about college (that I've already found out) is that everything is so flexible. You can mix and match various things to get what you want.

Anyway, so does anyone have any other good, well, known, 4 year colleges with a game design program? (Preferably on the east coast)

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2009, 01:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.