PDA

View Full Version : Applying Pre-existing Animations - BVH in LW ?

Kid-Mesh
08-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Animation Question:

Can I take a character that I created a walk cycle animation for and then export that animation into some type of file to be used on another character that has been rigged with the same skeletal structure? All done in LW of course.

Sort of how some applications have the ability to take advantage of BVH files.

Thanks in advance,

KM

Triple G
08-04-2003, 10:11 PM
This is exactly the sort of thing that Motion Mixer was designed for. You would define your character as an Actor within MM, and then make a motion clip out of your keyframed animation. Then you can save this clip, and later apply it to other characters as long as the items which define the Actor are named the same. You're supposed to be able to assign the motion to another Actor which is comprised of items with different names than the original, but I haven't had much success with that.

There's not a lot of documentation that comes with MM, and there's not a heck of a lot in the way of third-party tutorials, either. (At least, not that I've been able to find). Check out this page (http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/motion.htm) for a few tutorials that may help. From my use of it, MM can be a pretty powerful tool, but for my money I'd much rather go with Kaydara's Motionbuilder for non-linear animation and motion retargeting. It's much simpler to use, is more full-featured, and there's much better documentation. That being said, Motionbuilder is now $995 (unless you took advantage of the PE promotion they've been running the last few months), so that may or may not be practical, depending on your situation.

Kid-Mesh
08-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Triple G thanks for your reply because honestly I had no idea how it would have been done with LW. Im going to have to look more deeply into motion mixer.

I would like to ask you this though, is that the reason why you switched to Motion builder? and or because you feel that there is more documentation regarding the animation tools?

Thanks again

Triple G
08-05-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Kid Mesh
I would like to ask you this though, is that the reason why you switched to Motion builder? and or because you feel that there is more documentation regarding the animation tools?

I don't like to think of myself as having switched to Motionbuilder instead of Lightwave, but rather as having incorporated Motionbuilder into my Lightwave workflow. The two are definitely not mutually exclusive, and in fact work quite well together. Sometimes I'll animate in Lightwave, other times I'll animate in Motionbuilder and bring it back into Lightwave for rendering. It all depends on what the situation calls for. Having more options for getting the job done faster and better is a Good Thing™. :D And now with the new tools being introduced in both Motionbuilder 5 and Lightwave 8, I'm going to have even more tools at my disposal for getting the job done. :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.