PDA

View Full Version : V-Ray for Maya - The Countdown is over!

ChaosGroup
08-18-2009, 11:19 AM
V-Ray for Maya: The Countdown is over! One of the most eagerly expected products in the 3D world is officially released to turn over a new leaf in the rendering processes.

V-Ray for Maya revolutionizes rendering times, stability and ease of use to achieve remarkable pipeline efficiency.

Chaos Group team is excited to announce the official release of V-Ray for Maya (http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_maya.html). The comprehensive set of features provided by V-Ray for Maya includes true 3D Motion Blur, Sun & Sky procedural lighting system, Physical camera for matching life footage, Environment Fog, a set of Sub-Surface Scattering shaders and many others. V-Ray for Maya is supported on Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS X, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora operating systems in their 32-bit and 64-bit versions (other distributions also work). V-Ray runs with Autodesk Maya 2008, 2009 and 2010 versions.

Aimed at improving quality and efficiency in the production processes of the VFX and Film industry, V-Ray for Maya now enables the rendering of larger scenes with greater complexity while at the same time artists can rely on a faster rendering stage without compromising on the quality side of their work.

“Having used V-Ray in production for many years, and having been involved in large Maya centric pipelines, it was great to finally put the two together. Now that V-Ray can work inside Maya in virtually the same way that it operates in 3ds Max, it allows for a more flexible pipeline that would allow for the same high quality output that you expect from V-Ray. Being centered on a solid V-Ray Standalone pipeline allows you to use V-Ray within Maya, and have your whole renderfarm operate outside of Maya. It also operates nicely within a Windows or Linux or Mac pipeline which allows for even greater flexibility regardless of the size of your project” says Christopher Nichols – VFX Supervisor.

“I evaluated V-Ray for Maya by running it through the pipeline and with an intense VFX schedule where we are sometimes required to render hundreds of thousands of frames. V-Ray had proven itself to be most reliable, we had little to no issues with it during the productions, and when we did have challenges Chaos Group's Development Team was more than willing to help us out, which made us feel very much a part of the whole process” explained Dmitry Vinnik, Technical Director and founder of Silhouette Images Inc.

V-Ray for Maya Advantages and Key Features:

Faithful to its ultimate vision for extraordinary speed and quality, Chaos Group empowers users to improve render times by taking advantage of the V-Ray for Maya licensing. Each V-Ray for Maya license allows the usage of up to 10 additional render nodes, running either in Maya batch mode or as standalone render servers through the V-Ray Standalone application. The Standalone application allows rendering to occur independently of Maya and is considered as an outstanding option to boost the speed for both standard and distributed rendering.

Robert Nederhorst, VFX Supervisor at Radium/ReelFX in Santa Monica, explained his experience with V-Ray for Maya "Working V-Ray as a fully adaptive system allows our VFX team to deal with every glossy calculation as an antialiasing issue which makes setup so much easier and render times actually faster! It's the ease of setup and simple methods to deal with common problems that are great for VFX. All of us in the industry have less and less time to work on things these days so being able to rapidly get to our vision is important. V-Ray absolutely helps in that."

“I personally love the simplicity and some of the key factors in V-Ray which sets it apart from other renderers in Maya:

1. DMC sampler;
2. Easy to use and very well developed GI system;
3. True 3D motion blur, which works with transparencies (a key to fast rendering with accurate results without major headaches and cheats);
4. Very simple and powerful baking system;
5. Powerful multipass architecture,”

added Dmitry Vinnik, from Silhouette Images Inc.

The beta version of V-Ray for Maya has been used in numerous productions and VFX studios, and the feedback received during the development stages enabled Chaos Group to create a product focused on real needs and challenges in everyday rendering operations.

Pricing and availability

The suggested retail price(SRP) of V-Ray for Maya is USD 999 or EUR 719 per license, depending on the region of purchase. Purchasing one V-Ray for Maya license gives a lot more than just a single rendering license. It allows the rendering in interactive Maya environment of 1 computer and another 10 computers running as render nodes. These render nodes can run in Maya batch mode or as standalone render servers through the V-Ray Standalone application, independently of Maya. These can also be used for the simultaneous rendering of a single frame across 10 computers through the Distributed Rendering mode. If the users require having more than 10 rendering nodes – additional licenses can be purchased for V-Ray Standalone which can be used as standalone or through the Maya batch mode. It does not get any more flexible than that, does it?

And remember! We license full computers, not CPUs! The more CPUs you have per computer, the better you utilize our single license!

V-Ray for Maya is distributed through electronic download only. A hardware lock is required for the licensing system and is provided upon purchase.

Additional V-Ray Standalone licenses are available for purchase with suggested end user price of USD299 / EUR249 per computer. Outrageous volume discounts are applicable for all V-Ray products. Order prices in US Dollars or Euro is applied depending on specific country of order placement. For detailed pricing information please contact: sales.software@chaosgroup.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/sales.software@chaosgroup.com)

Trademarks and copyrights

V-Ray and the V-Ray logo are registered trademarks of Chaos Software Ltd. in Bulgaria and/or other countries. Autodesk and Maya are registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the USA and/or other countries. Microsoft, Windows and Windows XP are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Apple, Mac and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders.

Thank you all for being part of the V-Ray future!

T4D
08-18-2009, 11:41 AM
when is the Softimage version coming out :)

spurcell
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Awesome news. Time to start bugging the wife for the checkbook.

3dtutorial
08-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah, where is that Softimage version?

I will buy it if you will release it :-)

Regards,

J

aghill
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Super cool news!

Kel Solaar
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Good Job Guys ! :)

You did an impressive work, and it's a real pleasure to have VRay on Maya !

KS

nuke
08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Congratulations! Looking forward to purchase a licence very very soon. 719 Euros is reasonable!

Buexe
08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Great news! Hopefully there will be a demo soon to check this out! :drool:

EDIT: There is already a demo. VRAY, start the engine, here I come!

nuke
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Great news! Hopefully there will be a demo soon to check this out! :drool:

EDIT: There is already a demo. VRAY, start the engine, here I come!

Yep, downloading the demo...

lazzhar
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Yep, downloading the demo...
it's very very slow !
But hey, we can't complain !
Great news.

CiaranM
08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah, where is that Softimage version?
I will buy it if you will release it :-)

That's two of us, at least!

ferzone
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Finally!!! :....(
Fantastic news for Maya users!!

DuttyFoot
08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
finally its here, :buttrock:
on their website they have a link for xsibeta version, so i guess xsi is next.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray-xsi

mister3d
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm wondering if Maya users will run benchmarks comparing Mental ray and Vray speed or they simply know which is better.

dhath45
08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I'll buy it for Softimage as soon as it becomes available.

DuttyFoot
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm wondering if Maya users will run benchmarks comparing Mental ray and Vray speed or they simply know which is better.

any idea if there is such a benchmark for max

solagratia77
08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
wow 999 for ten computers licenses ?
Now that's just awesome !

so if you have 10 8core computers
you are getting 80 render licenses for 999

Awesome !

TwinSnakes
08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Vray Standalone is only $300 bucks! YES!

mister3d
08-18-2009, 02:31 PM
any idea if there is such a benchmark for max

Never seen one.

solagratia77
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Vray Standalone is only $300 bucks! YES!

How many computer licenses are in Vray Standalone ?

TwinSnakes
08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
How many computer licenses are in Vray Standalone ?

It looks like 10 licenses...but will have to wait til there's a webstore up to buy the standalone to know for sure.

solagratia77
08-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I think you are right

Integration with Maya

All features accessible from within Maya (no external applications required) Standalone version included (10 licenses)
Support for many of the standard Maya shaders, lights, materials, procedural and utility textures

Finally I can build a render farm without getting a divorce :)

TwinSnakes
08-18-2009, 03:27 PM
I think you are right
Finally I can build a render farm without getting a divorce :)

Dude I'm right along with you. Gonna have to squeeze this purchase into my Xmas budget somehow.

Curse you Recession!!!

solagratia77
08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes same here....

Correct me if I am wrong but vRay DOF isn't as fast as RFM right ?
But with this sensible pricing
I guess vRay wins speed/price wise !

(I am speaking about DOF because it's something I have to use in my future prj)

xsitar
08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Come on, VRay for Softimage!

Please Please Please!

We need a great alternative next to the dinosaur that is MentalRay.

Syndicate
08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
This is great news. One reason I was hesitant to create one of my latest projects in maya was the absence of V-ray. I'm actually rendering using Vray right now and I'm still amazed at its speed...

Has anyone else noticed that when you cancel a render... the response time is practically instant? I remember thinking that my scene has crashed when I did this before... not sure what magic has been done at Chaosgroup, but this is the best production renderer that I have ever used (renderman is powerful, but requires pixars renderfarm to be of any real use to me :P )

Thanks Vlado and the rest of Chaosgroup.

One request I have is would there be any chance of just a standalone renderer for OSX? I have a few mac pro's that I would like to make use of without booting into another os.
Now that it works in Maya - which is OSX compatible, if you managed to do this, I would be very greatful... along with thousands of other artists :)

thablanchh
08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
As far as I know, Vray for XSI is in the Beta stage, And Beta means they need beta testers....

For wich one is faster, or a Benchmark scene, it all comes down to the user and how he/she knows to optimize the settings.

brudney
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
that's great news for all mayans :thumbsup:

now, vray for xsi, please:] :bowdown:

PorkpieSamurai
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Excellent, been waiting for years for this!

ronaldomiranda
08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
i never saw vray been used in a big movie production.

Maybe is time for it now?

instinct-vfx
08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
It is and was...just not as shouted to the world...check GI Joe for example :)

Regards,
Thorsten

CornFielD
08-18-2009, 07:33 PM
awesome we have been waiting for this for quite some time :bounce:

This is like the missing ingredient from maya 2010 :DD I wouldn't mind of tossing out the mr and throwing some money to chaousgroups way to make pretty shit happen (w/o hassle). :arteest:

hanskloss
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Using the demo right now. Great, but seriously WTF is with the resolution limit? Are they kidding? 600X450??

aglick
08-18-2009, 08:50 PM
i never saw vray been used in a big movie production.

Maybe is time for it now?

VRAY is no longer just for Arch Viz.

It's clear to me that these guys have written a TON of new features directly aimed at cinematic rendering for M&E (media/entertainment).

Plus the integration with Maya seems nearly flawless to my eyes. -Especially considering this is a v.1.0 release!!!

I am 100% on-board with this. Nice job guys!

Adam
BOXXlabs

SheepFactory
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Great to see more alternatives to MR. I would like to never touch MR again if I can help it.

nuke
08-18-2009, 09:07 PM
This is unbelievable renderer! I've playing with the demo for hours now. FG comes right away, GI is so smooth like a peach with default settings, it renders big scenes without choking to death like MR (I'm not TD), and I can finally use lights in intuitive way.

If this baby can handle animation renders in good quality, then I won't look any further! Price is good and at least Chaos Software doesn't rip-off Europeans with 1:1 USD-EUR currency conversion!

mister3d
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Yes same here....

Correct me if I am wrong but vRay DOF isn't as fast as RFM right ?

I don't know what RFM is, but Vray's DOF is twice faster than mental ray's one (I know that's for sure).

Array
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I would like to never touch MR again if I can help it.

Aside from some stability issues, I've been pretty happy with MentalRay within the context of Softimage. I'm curious as to what benefits VRay for Softimage could offer over the built in renderer.

jasonhuang1115
08-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Just downloaded the demo. Is there a documentation for Maya users? I can only find doc. for Max on Chaos Group site.

-Jason

solagratia77
08-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't know what RFM is, but Vray's DOF is twice faster than mental ray's one (I know that's for sure).

sorry mister3d
I was referring to Renderman for Maya
I tried the Rednerman demo and I was blown away by
Renderman's DOF speed performance but
as I said even if vRay's DOF render speed is slower,
since it has a fantastic licensing price
in the end vRay wins big time !

for $999
Renderman you get 4 threads max
vRay you get 80 threads (if you have 10 8core machines)
vRay you get 160 threads (if you have 10 16core machines)

:)

DuttyFoot
08-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Just downloaded the demo. Is there a documentation for Maya users? I can only find doc. for Max on Chaos Group site.

there should be a pdf file in the zip file along with the vray exe.

Impact
08-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Great....!
Anyone know if there is a way to calculate GI only for moving objects like what VraySphereFade plugin do in 3dMax?

nuke
08-18-2009, 09:49 PM

It only refers to installation. I'll need a proper Maya doc too, although you can follow the Max V-Ray help for a certain point. There are some slight differences in parameters.

jasonhuang1115
08-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks, DuttyFoot. However, that PDF is only for installation guide as I checked. I am looking for documentation of using V-Ray. Maybe the implementation can be transferred easily from May to Maya as reading that online doc. for Max?

SheepFactory
08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
there is a documentation dl link at the website.

nuke
08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
there is a documentation dl link at the website.

Where? I can only find this online help

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/

And that's for Max.

SheepFactory
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Here it says:

If you wish to download only the documentation for a particular package without installing it - check out the documentation section (http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=documentation)

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=documentation

Cant load it from work though so if its not in there I have no idea.

mister3d
08-18-2009, 10:12 PM
sorry mister3d
I was referring to Renderman for Maya
I tried the Rednerman demo and I was blown away by
Renderman's DOF speed performance but
as I said even if vRay's DOF render speed is slower,
since it has a fantastic licensing price
in the end vRay wins big time !

for $999
Renderman you get 4 threads max
vRay you get 80 threads (if you have 10 8core machines)
vRay you get 160 threads (if you have 10 16core machines)

:)

Hmm, I remember reading about unlimited licences for renderman (or prman)? I could get something wrong as I never used renderman (and maya). Renderman cannot be compared equally to Vray I think, as well as mental ray. They are all a bit different. But the last implementations or renderman's point cloud effects are very interesting. Vray to me is very predictable, that's what I like about it. With mental ray it's a bit different as it's a more complex renderer. Vray has been used by archviz community for a decade (?) now, and the creator is always very carefully listens to the users and gives a direct feedback (that's a very important and nice thing about Vray). So it was polished pretty well, and GI is almost flawless and very fast.
There are some speed differences between Vray and Mental ray, but within several years they may become not important at all. Still, mental ray's shaders are more interesting to me, though they are more complex (and that's exactly what many users don't like at the beginning). But The Vray creator is working on a support of mental ray's shaders for Vray, as well as some fascinating hi-end features like object lighting, physical volumetrics, some SSS shaders with presets and so on. Those will be important choices within several years, so Vray has a bright future. Many those features are already available.
Mental ray's motion blur is still a problem to use in complex scenes...but Vray is less geared towards a movie production for now, so those expecting the equal features like in mental ray might be surprised. But it may change pretty soon I think.
So to me mental ray is a bit better for animations, and some more flexible shaders, but! those optimisations may become not important in the next several years, so there will no a big difference, mainly features. Will see though. Who knows, maybe in the next 6 years people will look for renderers like Maxwell, so both Vray amdn Mental ray will have to adjust.

Samuka3000
08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
my question is, will it blend? :surprised
I mean, can V-Ray handle complex shading networks like MR 'eventually' does?

solagratia77
08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Hmm, I remember reading about unlimited licences for renderman (or prman)? I could get something wrong as I never used renderman (and maya).

Yes I think they announced @ SIG user group
RFM with unlimited license for a single computer
so you get 1 Computer license (whereas you get 10 with vRay)

I know you can't really compare MR RfM and vRay
but for me license cost is a big concern too

TwinSnakes
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Great....!
Anyone know if there is a way to calculate GI only for moving objects like what VraySphereFade plugin do in 3dMax?

Not in the initial release of Vray for Maya

Buexe
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I guess it is clear that Vray and RfM play in different fields of the rendering realm. It is great to have a choice, especially since both offer licenses for nodes and not threads! Thats`s the good news for me as a Maya user these days. At least some people (not working for AD) actually understand what people do with this software (do stuff and then render it).

TAVO
08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
But The Vray creator is working on a support of mental ray's shaders for Vray

i think it would be better if they work in something similar for Vray, where you can wright some shaders like MentalRay. I don´t know how it´s done or even if vray can do it, but i think that´s other point why MentalRay and PRman are used more in heavy productions.

Vray has a brilliant future and maybe it could be used more and more in production with faster raytraicing calculations. :buttrock:

thev
08-18-2009, 11:40 PM
The help index for V-Ray for Maya is located here:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/

Best regards,
Vlado

jasonhuang1115
08-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Thank you, Vlado....will check that out! :thumbsup:

The help index for V-Ray for Maya is located here:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/

Best regards,
Vlado

AdanVC
08-18-2009, 11:58 PM
That's a pretty good news!!, V-ray is the coolest renderer :applause:

DuttyFoot
08-19-2009, 12:14 AM
It only refers to installation. I'll need a proper Maya doc too, although you can follow the Max V-Ray help for a certain point. There are some slight differences in parameters.

ok i see. well, i just got home and now i am ready to try the demo out.

I just did a test render of a old scene i was working on. there is a bridge, with a bunch of trees, grass, water, rocks, etc. when i hit render i was told that i cannot render more than 200 objects with the demo version.

Airflow
08-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Id just like to say.
I told you so :P
Good one Vlad.

vlad
08-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Chaos are definitely on a roll these days :buttrock:
So Vlado, when are you guys gonna pick up Aura and Simcloth? ;)

beaker
08-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I mean, can V-Ray handle complex shading networks like MR 'eventually' does?As far as I know Vray shaders all have to be written in C. It doesn't have it's own shading language.

Maybe this has changed, please correct me if I'm wrong.

nuke
08-19-2009, 05:17 AM
ok i see. well, i just got home and now i am ready to try the demo out.

I just did a test render of a old scene i was working on. there is a bridge, with a bunch of trees, grass, water, rocks, etc. when i hit render i was told that i cannot render more than 200 objects with the demo version.

Vlado gave a new link to V-Ray for Maya doc. I had some troubles to use Maya basic shaders, but I think they are now explained in that Maya specific V-Ray doc :)

I was testing with a old scene too and because that 200 objects limitation, I just combined objects.

SheepFactory
08-19-2009, 06:13 AM
I cant manage to install the demo on osx. It gives me errors.

I think having to use terminal to install a demo is damn ridiculous.

TwinSnakes
08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Just wanted to clarify an earlier post.

I'd asked ChaosGroup if Vray Standalone could be purchased separately from Vray for Maya. The answer is yes: Vray Standalone cost $299 and includes 1 license (plus $35 for the dongle).

AJ
08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Using the demo right now. Great, but seriously WTF is with the resolution limit? Are they kidding? 600X450??Yeah, it's like some sort of demo...

ace63
08-19-2009, 08:31 PM
It's about time they release the Softimage version :(

nsb
08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Would love to hear abit about vrays SSS shaders - quality, speed, are they suitable for skin etc? Even though mray drives me crazy more then happy the fastsss shader keeps me there.

Really important feature for me.

mecha
08-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Cant find he OSX demo? Any help?

EDIT : Never mind...Darwin...dooh!

katox
08-20-2009, 01:44 PM
anyone know where is the physical camera?

reading vray for maya help files, i found where the camera should be, but it is not in the demo

i´m agree?

nuke
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
anyone know where is the physical camera?

reading vray for maya help files, i found where the camera should be, but it is not in the demo

i´m agree?

Camera Attributes

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/maya/150R1/camera_extr_attrib.htm

In Shader Attributes same thing. For example you could add V-Ray Glossiness Controls to a Blinn shader to get fast glossy reflections.

katox
08-20-2009, 01:54 PM
thanks nuke, i read this info, but in my camera attributes it doesn´t appear v-ray tab, and in the extra attributes tab of the camera neither

nuke
08-20-2009, 02:09 PM
thanks nuke, i read this info, but in my camera attributes it doesn´t appear v-ray tab, and in the extra attributes tab of the camera neither

You have to select the camera and then go to an Attribute Editor (not to a Channel Editor) and in menu bar you select Attributes and drop-down menu there is VRay and in there you can find Physical Camera and Camera Settings. You just mark them and they appear down the Attributes list.

katox
08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
thanks nuke, but i´m serarching in the attribute editor, and i cannot find the vray tab

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r419/culebrax/vray.jpg

nuke
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Strange. I've Maya 2008 x64, but it can't be the reason?

katox
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
i in the demo version is not available i think, but i´m not sure of this, but thanks anyway

Samuka3000
08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
beaker
I couldn't find much info about the SDK, but looks like it has it's own thing now.

nuke
08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
i in the demo version is not available i think, but i´m not sure of this, but thanks anyway

I'm doing tests with the demo version right now. I don't have a full version, yet. Everything works fine expect limitations in objects (200), lights (5) and render resolution with watermark.

katox
08-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm doing tests with the demo version right now. I don't have a full version, yet. Everything works fine expect limitations in objects (200), lights (5) and render resolution with watermark.

thanks nuke, but i don´t know the reason, anyone is using demo version and have the same problem?

Nothingness
08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
thanks nuke, but i don´t know the reason, anyone is using demo version and have the same problem?

It's a demo after all. All demo's have these limits.

But now something else:

for those who got to download the demo for osx, how the heck did ya do it? I downloaded the darwin version from chaosgroup and when expanding it, I got a bloody EXE file in a zip.

this is just way too strange.

Ptichat
08-20-2009, 05:40 PM
No no,

you're just searching in the wrong place.

Go to the render setting ( ex render global ).
VRay tab ( second one )
then Camera menu, all of them works.

lazzhar
08-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok, if the 200 object limitation is bothering you guys, just combine all of them in one object then render. Well of course, assuming they are all made polygons.

sacslacker
08-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Not to state the obvious but you do have to enable vray in the plug-in manager. If you've done that, it should show up in the render globals.

EDIT: weird, this response was to the post below me. I have no clue how I ended up above that post.

Autarkis
08-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I get the strangest problem, i do not get the VRAY tab in the render globals. Using maya 2009 x64? I thought it was strange, but then i thought maybe it was because of the demo, but after reading this thread it's definitely not! Thoughts on this guys?

Autarkis
08-20-2009, 08:19 PM
That is quite weird!

Heh. Anyway, yes it is enabled in the plug in manager. However, it just does not want to show up in the render globals, i have to select it in the preview window drop down menu in order to be able to render it as a VRAY scene file. I thought it was just a bad call on the demo restriction!

I guess i'll reinstall that demo and see where it gets me.

solagratia77
08-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I am testing the demo and I have to say
except DOF, vRay's performance is incredible especially GI

nuke
08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I am testing the demo and I have to say
except DOF, vRay's performance is incredible especially GI

Yeah, and glossy reflections render fast.

About the demo, you guys are using Maya 2009 x64 and having problems with the demo? I have Maya 2008 x64 and I got no problems with it.

ristopuukko
08-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Nothingness,

please read the manual: it's EXE allright but when you shell it with
root rights (sudo, or however you'd do it), it'll install and works just
fine, in OSX.

/risto

DuttyFoot
08-21-2009, 01:06 AM
About the demo, you guys are using Maya 2009 x64 and having problems with the demo?

it actually crashed on me a few times, but its working ok now.

vfx
08-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Playing with the demo now and I have to say very nice so far. Love the SSS shader and the Color Mapping tools!

Nothingness
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Nothingness,

please read the manual: it's EXE allright but when you shell it with
root rights (sudo, or however you'd do it), it'll install and works just
fine, in OSX.

/risto

Ok thanks,

i read something in the manual about a dmg file so i didn't read any more.
Will try asap.

cheers

mthemelis
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi, all!

glad to see another useful tool implemented in the Maya pipeline!

...but i can't find the vRayFur...(macOsX) can someone help a bit?

thanks in advance

cheebamonkey
08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
so far not that impressed with non-GI scenes. I tried swapping out mia-x shaders with Vray Mtl's and tweaking the settings to match and it's about 3x as slow as Mental Ray. Also, Normal Maps look wonky in Vray compared to MR. They look more like bad bump maps than anything. I'll keep chugging away..

mister3d
08-22-2009, 01:03 PM
so far not that impressed with non-GI scenes. I tried swapping out mia-x shaders with Vray Mtl's and tweaking the settings to match and it's about 3x as slow as Mental Ray. Also, Normal Maps look wonky in Vray compared to MR. They look more like bad bump maps than anything. I'll keep chugging away..

What sampler are you using? For glossy effects the best sampler is adaptive DMC, not adaptive subdivision or fixed. It's very important. Try something like min1 max 8(12,16) and the noise level 0,005. Uncheck the box "use dmc sampler thresh" and set the 0,005 value there.
Vray has problems with normal maps and GI, as far as I know, yes.

ulb
08-22-2009, 01:18 PM
so far not that impressed with non-GI scenes. I tried swapping out mia-x shaders with Vray Mtl's and tweaking the settings to match and it's about 3x as slow as Mental Ray. Also, Normal Maps look wonky in Vray compared to MR. They look more like bad bump maps than anything. I'll keep chugging away..I know V-Ray is easy to use, but that's not like if you did'nt have to learn how to be efficient with it...

bluemagicuk
08-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Doesnt work with transparency on a maya layered shader.

It sure is a sweet bit of kit tho.

Nothingness
08-22-2009, 05:20 PM
so far as i tested, it's a killer renderer for the standard mental ray.
When using a few 8k x 8k texture maps, it doesn't choke at loading them like maya's and mental ray's renderer. Also has a huge sweet displacement speed. So much better than MR.
And the reflections are the best part.

Mental Ray is a very capable and great renderer, but at the cost of speed and ease of use. So they should start to get worried here.

vfx
08-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Mental Ray is a very capable and great renderer, but at the cost of speed and ease of use. So they should start to get worried here.

I have to agree.. lets hope this forces Autodesk to put more effort into streamlining their built in renderers. New competition is always a good thing to push technology forward. My biggest gripe with MR is how in regards to shaders it always seems to be a hack approach to get anything to work.

kiranreloaded007
08-28-2009, 07:24 AM
we need some tutorials for the maya version

aglick
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
The VRAY tutorials for 3dsMAX will be very close - and should be useable to start with. You may have to poke around for the location of the right settings in some cases, but almost everything seems to work the same as it does in 3dsMAX for the most part.

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.