PDA

View Full Version : inFamous :: Game Review

PaulHellard
08-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Hey there,

This game took us all by the throat. I thought I'd begin with a good old-fashioned game review showing the product from the angle of the punter and later follow up with a deeper view of how they created the final result. Click the image for the story.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/infamous_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5224)

TyroneMaddams
08-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah this game is actually very good, i was impressed !!

My brother and i finished it as both good and evil ;)

- Ty

DruG
08-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Since when is CGSociety reviewing games? :>

inFamous sucked me in for a couple of hours, but after clearing 60% of it I found the game booooriiiing ;)

Visually it was very nice tho. I haven`t found any single thing I would call "bug" :)

electrique
08-18-2009, 08:31 AM
i really dig inFamous.... if it had Prototypes city that would be rockin! It does get a little repetitive at times.

Killzone 2 is a great game also and well worth buying a PS3 for aswell! The multiplay is totally addictive.

undoz
08-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Haven't got the chance to play it yet, but loved the art in the article.

LosPescados
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Great article! Can't wait to read the making of!

JCAddy
08-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Played the demo a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty cool. I played it all the way through and wanted more, but replay on the demo itself wasn't very high for me.

08-18-2009, 06:06 PM
since when we start reviewing games?

usually the next thing happens is fanboys jump into the wagon :-s

DuttyFoot
08-19-2009, 04:55 PM
this game does look good, now that the ps3 price is going to drop to 299 i can try it out. the ps3 slim is coming out on sept 1st. thank you sony for finally lowering the price of the ps3.

Geta-Ve
08-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I have to echo a few of the thoughts here. When did CGS start reviewing games? and why?

That being said, the review itself was pretty poorly written. It almost feels like there was no editor involved, or even any afterthought put in to the reviews structure.

I liked the fact that the review was very CG/art centric, given that it is from a CG oriented site but I would have also liked if the review could have mixed in some factual notes from the developers and maybe some inside tidbits.

Apoclypse
08-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Well now that PS3 slim is out and cheaper, I'm definitely getting this game one I get the console.

PaulHellard
08-19-2009, 10:37 PM
I decided to let a game review onto CGSociety because I had been having requests to do so. I knew there might be a little backlash, but decided I'd give it a go in any case.
I like to present features that are unexpected and cover all areas. I mean ALL areas. Films, Games, Artists, Technologies, Events and Studios.

Don't worry. The ground hasn't moved under your feet. We now go back to your regular scheduled program. :-)

DuttyFoot
08-19-2009, 10:44 PM
didn't you do the same thing for terminator salvation? If so, that was a really nice review and the art for the game was really fantastic.

SheepFactory
08-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Infamous was an awesome game indeed. One of the few games I replayed as soon as I finished it.

Geta-Ve
08-20-2009, 01:17 AM
I decided to let a game review onto CGSociety because I had been having requests to do so. I knew there might be a little backlash, but decided I'd give it a go in any case.
I like to present features that are unexpected and cover all areas. I mean ALL areas. Films, Games, Artists, Technologies, Events and Studios.

Don't worry. The ground hasn't moved under your feet. We now go back to your regular scheduled program. :-)

No worries, the fact that you are 'reviewing' games isn't really any issue to me personally, but I just thought it could have been handled slightly better/differently, content and writing wise.

:)

LosPescados
08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I like the idea of reviewing games (the game industry is still the mayor 3D area).
However I would really like to know how they did actually make parts of the game.
Like for example how they made his lightening attacks/skills...

JCork
08-27-2009, 06:28 PM
For the past 2 weeks, I have watched my friends play this game over and over again, both god and evil. Just from watching it makes me want to play it. Still have yet to pick up the controller since I've pretty much seen the whole game be played. It's awesome seeing a breakdown like this so I can show those guys (who are not tech savy) this article to read.

Thanks!

Kion
08-27-2009, 07:10 PM
First of all Im so happy that you guys are doing game reviews! I understand that this is the first review and it will only get better with time. My critique is that I wish the article had more depth. I would leave the gameplay review to the game magazines and blogs that already do that and concentrate on the art and technology side. Except for maybe Ars Technica ,no one is covering this. In games there are so many interesting techniques that we do realtime motion blur, global ill, sss, etc its all cheats but are really cool and no one is talking about it. For Infamaous you wrote about their facial animations. How does that work ? It is key framed, audio driven, how does that get propagated to all their characters. They are running real time crowd sims, that change dynamically based on whether your character is good or bad how does that work? This is all very interesting stuff that no one is writing about. Just my 2 cents

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2009, 07:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.