PDA

View Full Version : Render Layers for Compositing

Seshi
08-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm sorta new to the compositing realm of Maya 2009. I have a few questions as to how Render Layers should look in my RGB and Alpha Channels. I made a basic scene with a ball on a plane and a spot light. The ball has a blinn shader and the ball itself is casting a shadow on the plane. So far I've figured out how to only show specular, occlusion, and normals in the RGB channel. I got my shadow layer to show up in the alpha channel. My composite layer is giving me a black halo around my plane and my specular, dirt, and normals layer gives me a white plane and a black background. The halo might be a premult issue that I'll look into. As for the luminance, and diffuse layer, which channel should they appear in?

Edit: My main question: Which layers should appear in my RGB Channel and which should appear in my Alpha Channel?

I'm not sure if this is correct or if I need to do more to the settings. I plan on exporting these layers out as exr's and importing them into After Effects. I feel like there are a million ways to produce these layers which is why it has been difficult to wrap my brain around the workflow from production application > post production application. In the mean time, I'm just going to have some fun with the other methods, but I could really use some immediate and helpful feedback.

regards,

Gary

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2009, 11:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.