PDA

View Full Version : First still from "Avatar"

Tri-State
08-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Here is da link
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/08/16/the-first-avatar-still-hits-the-internet-features-sam-worthington-and-a-thundercat/

enjoy:thumbsup:

PorkpieSamurai
08-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Im wondering if this is 100% render or cg mix with live action.
I think i read that avatar is totally cg but I could be wrong.

Nemoid
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Avatar is CG plus live action, btw. aliens and avatars and planet landscapes are mainly CG . I think there is tons of CG inside the movie, and they say very believable too.
Tho, this is the worst still could expect for such a movie...

bluemagicuk
08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
high res version

http://media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/images/avatartank.jpg (http://media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/images/avatartank.jpg)

TJFrame
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
So.. in the future when mankind has interstellar travel and such mastery of the human genome that we can splice humans with aliens we still cant repair a spinal injury or outfit someone with artificial implants? Can someone explain this to me?

SheepFactory
08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
So.. in the future when mankind has interstellar travel and such mastery of the human genome that we can splice humans with aliens we still cant repair a spinal injury or outfit someone with artificial implants? Can someone explain this to me?

it will be hard but I will try.

science fiction
n. A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.
sci'ence-fic'tion (sī'əns-fĭk'shən) adj.

danshewan
08-16-2009, 11:43 PM

science fiction
n. A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

It's all well and good quoting dictionary definitions of the term science fiction, but I think what TJFrame was talking about was the plausibility of that fiction in the wider scope of the universe it's supposed to represent. Not something I'd personally bother critiquing, but a valid concern - surely the 'success' of creating an imaginary world hinges on attempts to realistically portray science as it might be in such a universe?

blipper
08-16-2009, 11:44 PM
There is good science fiction and there is bad science fiction. The good kind plays within it's established conventions. I think TJFrame raises a good point.

Chris
08-16-2009, 11:45 PM

science fiction

lol! pwned

MisfitAnimator
08-17-2009, 12:32 AM
That gets explained in the film :)

The movie is 60% Cg, 40% live action, and yet again the boys at WETA do a kick @ss job!

earlyworm
08-17-2009, 12:50 AM

Let's pretend for a moment that it's possible to fix a spinal injury today - in the here and now. Do you think that everyone with a spinal injury would be now be walking around all-brand-new?

Or would there still be a huge number of people still in a wheelchair because they can't afford the fix, don't have access to the fix, the fix goes against their beliefs, the fix goes against someone else's beliefs, the fix is dangerous to perform, the fix can sometimes go wrong, the fix isn't possible in a few situations, the fix is only available to people of a certain social/political/economic standing.

SheepFactory
08-17-2009, 04:26 AM
There is good science fiction and there is bad science fiction. The good kind plays within it's established conventions. I think TJFrame raises a good point.

I guess I am one of the few who go to movies to switch the brain off and have fun.

TJFrame
08-17-2009, 05:10 AM

science fiction

Wow that's brilliant.

Yea youre right, nothing should make any sense at all - golly gee whiz it's science fiction!!

Sorry but cute quotes don't answer the question. Cameron goes to great lengths to make his movies "plausible" in the sense that things look like they could actually work. People don't fly and machines don't work on fairy dust. I know that a lot of effort went into designing the starship in Avatar to operate in a believable way. As someone with an industrial design degree that's one of the things I usually really respect about him.

We have ALREADY repaired severed spinal injuries with stem cells in early tests. So much for your "speculative scientific discoveries" crap. In 100+ years such advancements will likely be as common and cheap as getting a flu shot today if we are to believe that alien/human DNA splicing and starships are possible. That's not even counting robotics and cybernetics.

Repairing ANY spinal injuries would be child's play compared to splicing our DNA with ALIENS lol.. So I guess the Nav'i use double helix DNA like we do? No problem - piece of cake!

Now if there is some *other" explanation such as moral or religious or psychological reasons then I could buy it.

I have great respect for Cameron's abilities that's why I raised the point. I'm curious to see what the movie explanation is.

Shletten
08-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Yes, the avatars and Na'vi aliens are fully CGI.

Little info about the picture:It is a composite, generated from from 2 different scenes. profesionally done. You did not see this exact shot at CC09 because it simply does not exist within the film as it is shown. Yes that is David Joel Moore`s meat sack not Sam Worthington`s.I think it looks good! You should definitely see the avatar vertically because it makes it look even more real. http://www.surrealaward.com/avatar/imagesvavatarfilmstills.shtml

patfour
08-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Yea youre right, nothing should make any sense at all - golly gee whiz it's science fiction!!

Sorry but cute quotes don't answer the question. Cameron goes to great lengths to make his movies "plausible"...

I know that first line was meant sarcastically, but it's more or less how I put up with the time-traveling paradox(es) raised in Cameron's Terminator films. When there's enough to like about a story overall, I'm willing to accept a plothole or two - if the story of Avatar can only be told in a future where not all paralysis can be easily cured, I can accept that.

On the other hand, if the entire story ends up being trash, I'll probably include that plothole in my list of complaints. But I'm optimistic...

[EDIT: Back on the topic of the still and the film's CG - it looks pretty! I'm hoping an IMAX theater within driving distance participates in "Avatar Day" on the 21st, because I'm excited to see the effects in motion.]

Pyke
08-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Now if there is some *other" explanation such as moral or religious or psychological reasons then I could buy it.

I have great respect for Cameron's abilities that's why I raised the point. I'm curious to see what the movie explanation is.

From the scriptment, the world of AVATAR (on earth at least), is basically a huge industrial slum. While I'm sure there is medical care, and the ability to fix spinal injuries, the main character is one of the poorest of the poor, and probably cant afford it. The opening scenes go to great length to show this.
If you think of Vietnam veterans...there was medical technology back then for artificial limbs and other prosthesis, but many of them were left with their injuries untreated.

The fact that the 'human' world has basically turned their backs on him plays a very important role in explaining WHY he joins the Na'Vi to fight for them.

TJFrame
08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I know that first line was meant sarcastically, but it's more or less how I put up with the time-traveling paradox(es) raised in Cameron's Terminator films. When there's enough to like about a story overall, I'm willing to accept a plothole or two - if the story of Avatar can only be told in a future where not all paralysis can be easily cured, I can accept that.

Yes sure.. obviously I'm not saying that Avatar = stupid just because of the paralysis thing. Of course you have to give the filmmaker creative slack to even make an interesting story in the first place.

It was initially just meant as a minor "huh" moment from me. But it does make me wonder why the protagonist HAS to be paralized in the first place. It almost makes me think that Cameron was hell bent on making a vietnam/iraq war-vet polemic first and foremost for that character, logical implications be damned.

Not to get too far off topic, but I think the issue raises an even more interesting question to my mind - namely do current science fiction movie makers really take into account emerging scientific, technological, and social advancements or have they been strapping 80's and 90's thinking onto "the future" by adding a few mechs or spaceships here and there.

The next hundred+ years will result in huge paradigm shifts for everything from simple baldness and obesity to human lifespan to robotics etc. The merger of strong AI and human minds is likely in 100+ years. The replacement of human parts for artificial ones or synthetic organs might change our understanding of what it means to be and look "human" Instrumentality may vanish as technology is controlled via neural interfaces. Throw in nanotechnology etc and you have a world incredibly different than the one we know of.

I'm thinking of Ray Kurzweil's singularity concept of accelerating exponential change. It just seems like no one has really effectively given us a world with starships in it that remotely implies what humanity would be like in that world. I think Star Trek falls prey to that syndrome a lot. It's a 60's world with a few gadgets. Apparently 250 years from now is "pretty much like today" for humanity except for warp drive, transporters and phasers.

I'd like to see some sci-fi that really tries to project and extrapolate these paradigm shifts more accurately. Anyone know of movies that do that without going down the AI wipes out/enslaves humans route like Terminator or the Matrix. 2001 was so far ahead of its time in that respect of trying to envision a world where space travel is realistic and widespread but Earth is not overrun by apes or mutants.

TJFrame
08-17-2009, 07:39 AM
From the scriptment, the world of AVATAR (on earth at least), is basically a huge industrial slum. While I'm sure there is medical care, and the ability to fix spinal injuries, the main character is one of the poorest of the poor, and probably cant afford it. The opening scenes go to great length to show this.
If you think of Vietnam veterans...there was medical technology back then for artificial limbs and other prosthesis, but many of them were left with their injuries untreated.

The fact that the 'human' world has basically turned their backs on him plays a very important role in explaining WHY he joins the Na'Vi to fight for them.

Cool thanks for the useful info :) I've been trying to get ahold of that original treatment online but have had no luck.

Shletten
08-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Also, just in case you don't already know, Apple.com/trailers has a countdown to the Avatar trailer. According to the clock, it will go online Thursday morning at 7:00 AM PST.

Pyke
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
It was initially just meant as a minor "huh" moment from me. But it does make me wonder why the protagonist HAS to be paralized in the first place. It almost makes me think that Cameron was hell bent on making a vietnam/iraq war-vet polemic first and foremost for that character, logical implications be damned.

**********SPOILERS**********

His brother is an identical twin, who was involved in the AVATAR program. He is killed in a subway fire, and the government approaches Jake, because his AVATAR has already been grown (or started), and because of his genetic similarity to his brother, he will be able to use the AVATAR (they have to be grown specifically for that person).

The paralysis angle is important, because being able to walk again is the one thing that makes him join the program...the government uses that as a 'hook' to get him to agree to it. He hates the military, and all it stands for-and if it wasn't for the promise if walking again, he wouldn't join up at all.

**********SPOILERS**********

I think its also done as a means for us to feel sorry for the character. If he was this Adonis like good looking burley guy, who becomes this Adonis like burley athletic creature, we don't get to share in the joy of this transformation. It just becomes 'oh'.

I suppose he could have had any disability really....blindness, paralysis, basically something that limited him, but that the Avatar could give him.

Shletten
08-17-2009, 08:05 AM
The first act of the scriptment is brilliant. Well maybe not but I love it.

TJFrame
08-17-2009, 08:14 AM
I suppose he could have had any disability really....blindness, paralysis, basically something that limited him, but that the Avatar could give him.

Thanks Pyke.. that makes SO much more sense than what I had assumed initially. His motivation to travel to Pandora makes more sense.

Having just read the script treatment.. I gotta say aside from the Dances with Wolves/Quigley Down Under + Ewoks on Endor similarities, Cameron has a depressingly fatalistic view of mankind and the future.

He's never been one for Utopian fantasies.. but man that script was a real downer.

Perhaps part of me is worried it might be too close to a possible reality one day. Let's hope not. Who the hell wants to live in THAT future?

blipper
08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I guess I am one of the few who go to movies to switch the brain off and have fun.

You're not in the minority. These days it seems there's a large number of undemanding film goers.

mystery00
08-17-2009, 11:04 AM

I think there's a difference between switching it off and taking it out; then letting the script writer/director smack it around with a crowbar. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm referring to this film in particular....

unchikun
08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
"The First 'Avatar' Still Hits The Internet, Features Sam Worthington And A ThunderCat"

LOL Thundercat

TJFrame
08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
"The First 'Avatar' Still Hits The Internet, Features Sam Worthington And A ThunderCat"

LOL Thundercat

he he.. Thundercats.. he he.. ouch.

PS: unchikun I love your avatar since I broke a blood vessel in my eye lifting weights the day before that episode aired. I looked like a freakin demon in that eye for a week. Scared small children and such.

unchikun
08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
PS: unchikun I love your avatar since I broke a blood vessel in my eye lifting weights

Stewie got that from passing gass XD

Toddski
08-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, the avatars and Na'vi aliens are fully CGI.
Little info about the picture: Quote:
It is a composite, generated from from 2 different scenes. profesionally done. You did not see this exact shot at CC09 because it simply does not exist within the film as it is shown. Yes that is David Joel Moore`s meat sack not Sam Worthington`s.

That's not correct. It's Jake Sully's Avatar. Norm's is in the background.

ZCtrl
08-18-2009, 11:45 PM
I came, I saw, I meh...

it's the first image we have and it's not even a still from the movie? cmon, that shot looks bad, look at the lighting inconsistencies and weird disconnect between the two characters. After hearing all this stuff about lush rainforests and butterflies, all we get is Sam with a dumb look on his face pasted in front of a giant blue test-tube cat thing.

I'm as exited for this movie as the next guy, but seriously, after D9, let's just say the bar has been raised, I do hope Cameron pulls it off though.

Toddski
08-18-2009, 11:58 PM
I came, I saw, I meh...

it's the first image we have and it's not even a still from the movie? cmon, that shot looks bad, look at the lighting inconsistencies and weird disconnect between the two characters. After hearing all this stuff about lush rainforests and butterflies, all we get is Sam with a dumb look on his face pasted in front of a giant blue test-tube cat thing.

I'm as exited for this movie as the next guy, but seriously, after D9, let's just say the bar has been raised, I do hope Cameron pulls it off though.

it IS a still from the movie. Well, in fact it's TWO. In the original still, Sam Worthington is sat in a wheelchair with his back to camera looking into the tube with his avatar inside. Fox comped a closeup of his face from another shot in the sequence over this, obscuring Jake in the wheelchair, hence the inconsistency in the lighting, the fact that he's looking the wrong way and is too big in frame...

Trust me, in the actual shot, it looks great. at 2k in 3D, it will look awesome.

ZCtrl
08-19-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm sure the movie looks great, there must be tons of screens that would make for a better first look image. I guess it's just a marketing fail, as marketing usually is.

not ripping the movie though, just that comped screen, stills never do a movie like this justice anyways.

Laa-Yosh
08-19-2009, 12:47 AM

Trailer's out within 1.5 days. Then there's the 15 minute preview on friday (got my ticket ;) )

So let's get back to the topic after that... from what I hear, it's really something.

Shletten
08-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I say ''wait for the trailer if you want great marketing!''. The trailer is PG and lasts 2 minutes and 8 seconds (still don't know if the teaser on Apple is the real trailer).

ice-boy
08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
you mean its PG13?

Nemoid
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
If i know Cameron the movie should be actually great and compelling. He usually breaks the rules (and also deadlines and budgets) but ends up making good movies, even screenplay wise. They usually work well.
And also, visually should be great, even if this first image is not that great.

Shletten
08-20-2009, 02:30 AM
you mean its PG13?I hope you're not one of those to expect this movie to be R rated... I mean, PG like 8+.

jogshy
08-20-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm excited about Avatar... but I was too when I watched SW: Episode 1. I'm scared about the new Cg Naboos... oh, pardon... Na'vis ! :p

Shletten
08-20-2009, 05:20 AM
They're going to be better characters. Rest assured. But expect 10 feet tall blue-skinned beings with long hair and large yellow eyes. Once you get used to the design you accept them as characters.

Nemoid
08-20-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm excited about Avatar... but I was too when I watched SW: Episode 1. I'm scared about the new Cg Naboos... oh, pardon... Na'vis ! :p

LOL terrifik! the names sound just too similar !!! I didn't notice this before! aaaargh!! :hmm:

TheMadArtist
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
So I went and saw District 9 last night at the Alamo Drafthouse theater here in Houston and I think they screwed up because they showed the trailer before the movie. :D Pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be attached to it yet. But wow does it look good. The Na'vi have kind of a disturbing, freakish but serene and beautiful look to them all at the same time. Looks amazing though.

Polarprod
08-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey, I just saw a 17minute preview of the move and it looks awesome, really something to look forward to. The 3d-effect is also really cool, have never seen that good 3d-film before, so i recommend watching the 3d-edition of the movie to all of you:D

- Bjørn

Shletten
08-22-2009, 03:27 AM
So does that mean you enjoyed the extended footage way more than the trailer?

Wiro
08-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Hey, whaddyaknow. We already got a huge thread about Avatar in GD.
Go here instead
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=797396

Wiro