PDA

View Full Version : Resolution for HD on PAL format

gribble
08-16-2009, 08:14 AM
I have never put together a tvc in HD before (just the SD for PAL - 720 x 567px @ 25fps)

What resolution do I need to edit in? Will PAL Widescreen suffice?
And how many fps?

All the hd resolutions confuse me!

Midgardsormr
08-16-2009, 03:42 PM
From what I understand, PAL HD resolution is the same as NTSC, but there are several standards. In the US, there are two that are common right now: 720p is 1280 x 720 progressive (set your frame separation to "none") and 1080i is 1920 x 1080 interlaced, upper field first (reversed from SD, which is lower field first). I don't know what stations in other parts of the world are doing in terms of resolution, though.

PAL widescreen will actually reduce your working resolution—you'll be throwing away vertical pixels to get the aspect ratio. If you're working in HD, you need to get high-res footage from the beginning. If you don't have access to HD footage or a camera that shoots at least 1280 x 720, then just use your normal SD workflow and let the TV stations convert it. They're all set up to do that.

On the other hand, if your spot is completely CG, then I'd produce it at 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 progressive) and then downsample it as required. (To go from progressive to interlaced, try this out: http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/interlacing-progressive-footage )

Framerate is still different. Former NTSC stations use 30 fps, but former PAL stations use 25 fps.

I hope that helps!

sundialsvc4
08-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Always do all of your edits at high-resolution, and "mind the gap!" (That is, the aspect ratio and the area that will actually wind up on-screen.)

After the final mix-down is complete, you can produce "answer prints" in PAL and/or NTSC as required. This is an "extremely lossy" (of course) interpolation process, but it doesn't affect the highly-detailed "actual" renders. Any full-featured video editing tool can do these mix-down renders. (You need "considerably more" input-resolution to avoid Moire patterns in the final output, and always proof your answer-print DVDs on the crappiest actual hardware you can scare up...)

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2009, 03:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.