PDA

View Full Version : particle instancer

sporktine
08-04-2003, 09:24 AM
hi there, more particle questions. i'm trying to use the particle replacement/instancer thing to make a flock of butterflies, and they look to generic, being that they all have the same animation and texture. is there a good free script or method of making them randomize their animation loop start times and textures? i seem to remember that this isn't a trivial procedure.

-spork

mycs
08-04-2003, 10:00 AM
"flock of butterflies, and they look to generic, being that they all have the same animation and texture"

U need diffrent butterflies, with different texture and animation.

"method of making them randomize their animation loop start times and textures"

write a runtime expression for particles.
About randomize textures - :shame: i don't know if that's possible . One way is to have diffrent butterflies. :wavey:

alexx
08-04-2003, 10:12 AM
unfortunately it is not possible having a runtime expression to change the shader.. you will really need different objects..

mayas particle instancer is anyway near to useless when it comes to animated objects, since you have to have them like in the dragonfly tutorial (see in the maya manuals).. all poses seperately.
that brings up a lot of hassles and e.g. can not be motion blurred...

:/

cheers

alexx

sporktine
08-04-2003, 10:58 AM
hmm. i guess this is why the big guys write their own plugins for this. oh well, was hoping i could get some love from this feature. i guess is good for some things but not others.

i suppose the solution is to make several area emitters all with different instancers and geometry.

thanks!

alexx
08-04-2003, 11:07 AM
having several particle systems and instancers should work..
you can have them being different size with runtime expressions and so on.. that helps visually..

only one kind, but have a look: (7MB DIVX)
http://home.arcor.de/alexander.bigott/anmod_355_glad_comped_07.avi

cheers

alexx

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.