PDA

View Full Version : Best way to start sculpting

TheCheshireCat
08-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey all

I was wondering - How do you start sculpting your models? Especially heads.
Do you start with a low res sphere? Maybe a Zsphere model with Zspheres representing the ears, the nose, the hair etc... Do you maybe prepare a low res model in an external program like 3ds Max first?

Its just that I've been having problems starting out, I notice that in the case of low res sphere as a starting point (for instance) I have to start modeling in a very pre-determined way regardless of what I'm actually trying to create, and that the specific details of what I'm trying to create at the moment only start to unfold after several iterations of creating a normal-looked head shape.

So - How do you usually start sculpting? I'm mostly interested in fantasy sculpts (monsters and stuff)

Thanks

TheCheshireCat
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Now I know: The best way is with ZSpheres2 :P
Irrelevant for now, though.

wwswimming
08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
until you learn how to set up UV's in ZBrush, you might have more success starting a rough shape in Max or Maya, then opening up UV Unwrap (Max) or the UV Texture Editor to establish the UV's, THEN exporting an *.obj with UV's, into ZBrush.

then when you're done sculpting & go to generate a displacement or normal map, it will work right. you might need to take the ZBrush-generated maps and do one "flip vertical" step in Photoshop.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.