PDA

View Full Version : Looking into Art Universities: Highschool senior

Pandaren117
08-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Are there any colleges or universities I should look into and/or apply to for college applications?

From the rundown, after about 5 years of studying and going to school, seemingly bulking up for what seemed to be a path on the math and sciences, last year i decided to act upon my life long hobby in art. From Junior summer until now, I invested into doing amateur digital illustrations in photoshop, attending iD Gaming Academy for Modeling with Maya at Stanford University, and learning in a private art studio/academy in drawing and painting and graphic design (typography, etc.) Any significant portfolio making process began at the near beginning of this summer.

A lot of what is happening seems rushed, and I regret for not starting sooner, but I'm doing what I can. From the get go, I grew up in an environment of academic competitiveness, grabbing the A's, getting 5's, and scoring a 2400 on the SAT. I'm sure there are many kids like me across the world, but I think this sort of sets me up in a wrong direction when thinking about the world of "art." After my junior year, it felt like I had a lot of time to invest into non-academically concentrated extra cirriculars. Now, it seems like I'm rushing to make a portfolio, something that seems like I should have worked on for the past couple years at least. I'm starting 2-D art at my school this year.

When I originally, and maybe even now, think about college and universities, what pops into my mind is mostly USC, Carnegie Mellon, the Universities of California (UCLA, etc.), Full Sail University, Ivies, Dartmouth, and other major names. Its a strange list, and I understand it would be in my interest to expand it. So now all of a sudden, I have to research into art universities or colleges and figure out which one is the right one to go to (both in terms of best fit and "good")

My official transcript contains as follows (generally)

-3.92 GPA unweighted
-2190 SAT I composite
-32 ACT (probably have to send in just one)
-3 AP tests (5)
-activities and such.

Concerning art, I found myself interested in 3D modeling, a little bit of 3D Animation, digital illustration. Graphic Design is a very thin interest for me, unfortunately, even if I do respect the cool stuff they do. I wouldn't mind doing abstract things but if its overly done or super concentrated one, I will find it extremely boring. (Modern art,etc. not that that isn't legitamate or cool, but it is just not me.) I think I personally view art as yes, a great thematic and symbolic medium we can work on, but I find myself more interested in aesthetically pleasing pieces and/or straight to the point, not super abstract pieces. Its hard to put into words how this exactly turns out to be. I don't attribute much super subtle or underlying reasons to my art, like the Great Gatsby.

At the art studio that I'm going to, it seems the whole place is mostly concerned with getting a portfolio done rather than learning better skills, something I regret. Kind of feels like a factory, but at the same time it feels like its better than doing nothing. On top of that, I'm getting random suggestions of good art schools or programs to go to from the studio's teacher (who are Korean, which I am, but there's a language barrier to a point where I can't pick up any subtleties while speaking Korean, only the gist, and when they speak English, its enough to get the word across, but not enough for fluency.), like the Pasadena Art School, Brown university. It's rather confusing because I'm getting no real explanation about the program, because I can imagine the college of fine arts, or any art program, varies in multiple areas and what they do specifically. I'm looking into the USC's Interactive Media school under the School of Cinematic Arts, and on top of the regular admissions process, they ask for a creative portfolio, but the nature of the program I do not know what it is exactly (especially from an artist's, not a game designer or programmer) and what the creative portfolio should contain.

For career goals, I'd like to work as an artist (3D or 2D) in the games industry and/or film.

And I have questions regarding the portfolio, the basic set up for the undergraduate, what needs to be i there any subtleties, because no one has explained to me in fluent English what it is about.

I have some amateur pieces done from the iD Gaming Academy Modeling with Maya summer camp, several animations and models, but very amateur and simple.

So in general, with the lengthy description of me and my situation, does anyone have any suggestions and explanation, personal experiences, regarding good art programs at universities, colleges, and an indepth explanation of what a portfolio should mean for a highschool senior for an amateur?

I've talked to Jay Vales and Will Howard concerning this, and they did help, but I would love to learn more. (I hope its okay if I revealed their names.)

Thank you for your time and God Bless.

Rebeccak
08-15-2009, 03:06 PM
If you're an academically oriented person, look into Brown / RISD. I think you would be academically / mentally bored at a pure art school (I was).

Brown in notoriously difficult to get into, as is RISD. You'd probably stand a better chance of getting into Brown than RISD, depending on what your portfolio looks like right now. But if you are accepted to either school, I believe they have a program that allows you to take courses at the other school. (Bear in mind RISD doesn't have much of a computer graphics focus so far as I know...but I think they'd give you a good foundation).

I think you might be the kind of person that needs to be fed both academically, and, for the time being, artistically on the traditional side of things. You might also be drawn toward programming and the like which makes having some connection to a university more logical than going to a pure art school, where nothing of the sort will be on offer.

Given your age and academic focus, and relatively new starting point with respect to art, I'd suggest going to a university that has a decent art program for fundamentals - such as Boston University, or the University of Michigan. I believe Stanford has a good art program, about which you would know more than I at this point since you have taken summer coursework there. Sadly there are few universities that have a focus within their art programs on the basics / fundamentals. You might also check into UCLA or USC.

Art Center is the wrong school for someone coming out of high school. And in recent years, they have drastically declined in terms of the quality of their foundation program, which is what you probably need most. ACCD is more about finish. You need to be in your mid twenties before you consider it.

Bottom line is, you need to visit the schools in which you are interested. You can't tell everything you need to know about a school without doing so.

Also be sure to attend this:

http://www.portfolioday.net/content/view/100/51/

There's a mix of pure art schools and universities which have art programs represented.

KrzysztofFus
08-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I think you need to decide whether you want to join an art program at an art college and get a BFA. Or if you want to join a regular college that has art, and get a BA.

Pandaren117
08-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Considering that it seems that, in the job field, the portfolio becomes a critical piece of the puzzle, do the subtleties and nuances between a BA or a BFA become critical depending if I go to a regular 4 year university with an art program or a school with just an art program?

I would love to hear more suggestions of what schools I should look into, or universities with programs.

KrzysztofFus
08-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Portfolio basically becomes 99% of the puzzle. The rest is probably personality.

If you decide to go get a BA you will most likely focus on academics over a portfolio regardless of the program.

In a BFA, you take 1/3 the amount of humanities as you do in a BA. The rest is filed with studio classes focusing on technique and creating a portfolio.

In the end, school does not matter when applying for the jobs you want in this field. Its what you know and how well you do it.

Pandaren117
08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
So any college or universities to start looking into?

KrzysztofFus
08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
The ones I would recommend that are "Prestigious" art schools and have a reputation of getting students into this industry are

SCAD
SVA
NYU's CADA
RINGLING

Some good "tech schools"

Fullsail
Gnomon
DAVE School
VFS

SCAD RINGLING and SVA will require you to submit a portfolio.
Fullsail Gnomon VFS and The DAVE School will take anyone with the money.

I personally suggest you pick a school out of SVA, SCAD, NYU's CADA and RINGLING. They are a good mix of art and academics. SVA has a fantastic internship program. I'm entering my third year, I was lead modeler ona few commercials and now I work for a game company. You get what you put into the school. You seem like the type of person who's gonna work his butt off.

forsakendreams
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey Brian,

let me throw a wrench into all this for you.
First off you should attempt to make an honest assessment at how good your current art skills are, what your potential for art is and how interested or passionate you are about really going through the tough process of solidifying your foundational skills.

Ignore how skilled you think you are at rendering/finishing, or color, or photoshop and take a look at how good you are at perspective, sketching still life, judging value, edges, and draftsmanship. If you set up a bunch of objects on a table, how accurate are you at sketching/drawing/painting that still life, how good are you at rendering circles, cylinders and curves in perspective. And then there's figure drawing from life (live models not photographs), same thing as still life objects but more complex. How quickly can you grasp new foundational concepts, and are you willing to keep erasing and redoing for hours until you get it right? How good is your eye basically when you draw from life.. we all go, aw shit, that looks nothing like what I was looking at.. but how shitty is it.

If you decide to pursue art school, they will be most interested in your foundational skills, the strength in your accuracy of translating the shapes and values of what you see to what you draw with your hand. Life drawing done well (beyond most typical high school abilities) is always an added plus. Beyond that, use and understanding of color, composition and your creativity and imagination. Probably no elves, dragons and warrior princesses.. what everyone at that age often loves to draw. Unless they're are draw as well as top spectrum illustrators.. but it really depends on the program you are looking at.

But that is art school, BFA and all that, only token exposure to liberal arts, and unlikely to offer many other subjects if you have a wide variety of interests. You will likely find the required math, English and science classes a ridiculous waste of time and hardly challenging. But you're likely to waive out of those anyway with your AP scores, unless the schools really want your money bad =)

Then there are the UC's which would offer a wider and more rounded selection of courses which would challenge and stimulate you intellectually in every aspect, but I would highly recommend you avoid their art programs. Their foundational training would severely cripple you in respect to your peers going to most art schools, and while you will come out with a wide range of exposure to drawing, metalworking, sculpture, jewelry, clay, etc, their programs focus primarily on self-expression and "installations". Check out their senior/student exhibits on the campus galleries at any UC to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The final consideration I would put forward is that of more technical path. I don't know what your original intentions were regarding math and science, if it's just the typical path desired by most Asian parents (UC's and Stanford being the primary aim), or if you have a strong interest and skill in those areas as well. Depending on your interests, a computer graphics specialization in computer science may be a good option, and there are a few top universities with excellent connections to the industry. Stanford, UC Berkeley, Brown, Carnegie Mellon, RIT and Texas A&M all have fairly strong graphic programs that are connected to the industry. If you're interested in research into graphics and next generation vfx, new techniques and pipelines for what basically forms the technical backbone of the industry, this would be a good choice.

You say you're interested in 3D modeling, and there are many, many modellers out there. To set yourself apart from the other modellers, get a strong grounding in sculpture, anatomy, life and animal drawing. If you are so inclined, cadaver and disection labs would be great as well.
To set yourself apart even more, obtain a more technical background (eg. computer programming/graphics) and you may find yourself indispensible to a studio with your procedural modeling skills. In essence you would be coding the procedual algorithms to create whatever is needed, hundreds of buildlings for a city (everyone different and procedurally generated), jungles of vegetation, an entire population of alien creatures to populate that jungle, etc. Things that would take an army of modellers month to create can be simplified into a program that takes common shared parts and permutates them into hundreds of unique models.
These are the types of technical artists that are highly desired by studios and are often at the forefront of vfx/cg techniques.

Of course if you are interested in modeling lead creatures then buff up on those anatomy and sculpture skills. Modelling can be a very technical area so your technical background will only aid you.

If you find yourself much more interested in 2D art, then definitely only consider art schools if you are serious. The vast, vast majority of 4 years universities (from UCs to Ivys) will not give you the adequate training you will need to succeed in the ever more competitive field. Also keep in mind that you may very well have to supplement your education with additional vocational training from some place like Gnomon.

Lastly, some of those portfolio generating art studios for high schoolers can be quite the money sink ($1000+ / month) so make sure you are getting the pieces that art schools are looking for. Many kids post their portfolios online these days, so be sure to check out the ones of those who got in to give you a better idea of the schools you are aiming for.

Pandaren117
08-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Who and where are these kids, and how do I know they are using those particular pieces for the application portfolio?

And regarding math and sciences, I like keeping things rounded off academically so I don't seem ignorant and I keep knowledgable as a scholar, but I don't really plan on say going to more advanced math classes or science classes past GEs.

Meloncov
08-15-2009, 11:59 PM
If you're an academically oriented person, look into Brown / RISD. I think you would be academically / mentally bored at a pure art school (I was).

I was considering that, until I looked at the animations coming out of RISD. They are, to put it nicely, very conceptual. To put it more bluntly, they really suck.

I come from a fairly similar background, and will be attending California College of the Arts next year. They have a somewhat stronger academic focus than most art schools (50 liberal arts and science credits to seventy five studio credits; eighty/forty is more common), and an animation faculty drawn almost exclusively from Pixar. They also tend to be vary generous with scholarships for those with good grades and test scores.

If you want to combine an artistic and technical focus, CMU and (I think) Yale are both worth looking at. They combine excellent technical training with good art programs, and and have at least some classes focused on combining the two.

forsakendreams
08-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Who and where are these kids, and how do I know they are using those particular pieces for the application portfolio?

You'll have to do a bit of digging, but the best repositories I know of are at ca:
accepted portfolios: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128605
ringling: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134784
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102409
art center: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24843
ccad: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45792

Just search for portfolio at ca, and you will turn up hundreds of thread such as these: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153633

Google the name of your school of choice + portfolio and there are many, many blogs out there that post work of both students who did and did not get in.

You should be able to get a good idea of what your competition will be like

Meloncov
08-16-2009, 01:08 AM
You'll have to do a bit of digging, but the best repositories I know of are at ca:
accepted portfolios: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128605
ringling: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134784
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102409
art center: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24843
ccad: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45792

Just search for portfolio at ca, and you will turn up hundreds of thread such as these: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153633

Google the name of your school of choice + portfolio and there are many, many blogs out there that post work of both students who did and did not get in.

You should be able to get a good idea of what your competition will be like

While those are good recourses (and I'm not just saying that because I started one of them), they can be excessively intimidating. Generally speaking, the people who post on CA.org are among the best applicants to a school. This year, every single person who posted a portfolio on CA was accepted.

So, if your portfolio isn't quite up to the level of those posted on CA.org, I wouldn't despair; you still have a very decent chance of getting in, especially with your grades. Still, it's a good mark to aim for.

Rebeccak
08-16-2009, 01:16 AM
I was considering that, until I looked at the animations coming out of RISD. They are, to put it nicely, very conceptual. To put it more bluntly, they really suck.
I would agree that RISD is not a top choice school for 3D related subject matter - it is, however, a good place for foundations, which the OP might need to establish. It's always hard to decide on the perfect school - in point of fact, one doesn't exist.

LA is a good place to be because there are so many options for schooling here. In the end it's down to a personal choice.

Pandaren117
08-16-2009, 04:56 AM
The Southern Cali, or LA area would bea good choice for me since I live there. Any suggestions and explanation of the local schools?

I heard from razorbc that Carnegie's CFA was a lot of abstract, not what I;m looking for kind of art. I don't know what that exactly entails. It looks like ag ood school though, and I'm thinking about joining the bagpipe program there.

Any thoughts on USC? I'm really interested in their Interactive Media section, but still unclear as to what it is really. It alked to an alumni who's from my highschool and from the USC's Interactive Media and he said its good, but he went there in its infancy.

And am I wasting my time learning Graphic Design? (Package designs, buisness card designs, logos, etc.)

Rebeccak
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
There are many threads with discussions that are similar to this one - I'd recommend trying a search using Google:

site:conceptart.org (http://conceptart.org/) + Ringling (for example)
site:conceptart.org (http://conceptart.org/) + Savannah College of Art (for example)
site:conceptart.org (http://conceptart.org/) + USC

site:cgsociety.org (http://cgsociety.org/) + Ringling(for example)
site:cgsociety.org (http://cgsociety.org/) + Savannah College of Art (for example)
site:cgsociety.org (http://cgsociety.org/) + USC

I'd recommend using this search method in general but in this case there are many, many threads with school related questions and you can glean a ton of information by running some simple searches.

Pandaren117
08-19-2009, 04:18 AM
In regard's to what I'm doing now, here's the full list of quick pix from what I did until now in the drawing and painting portion of the art studio I'm going.to. In general, most of this is rushed since I have only 5 months to get any portfolio going. A lot of the work is taken from looking at already done stuff and copying, mixing it up here and there.

All in roughly chronological order.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00220.jpg A pumpkin, in a bowl, not Like a Boss Practice
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00220.jpg A can and apple. Practice
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00232.jpg Still Life Drawing (had teacher to help out with touch ups.)
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00231.jpg Still Life 2 ditto above
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00222.jpg Ear, noses, eyes practice
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00226.jpg Bottom body, arm practice
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00228.jpg Legs torso practice
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00223.jpg Copy practice from another source
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00224.jpg Face practice ditto above, not done
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00225.jpg A face (practice, I don't know if this is portfolio material.)
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00227.jpg Female nude (copied from another source.)
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00229.jpg Male figure
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00230.jpg Female figure (nudity)
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00218.jpg Painting practice 1. First time with acrylics as a teenager in learning environment. The pumpkin didn't turn out as good as I wanted it to.
http://http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/DSC00219.jpg Painting practice 2 Day Two. Got better, but used wrong brush, and I'm still unused to the painting as opposed to me using photoshop to paint.

The Maya work I did at iD Gaming Academy (not in any chronological order)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/CharacterWalkCycleFinal105.jpg Character walk cycle
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/CharacterCombatSequenceFinal075.jpg Character combat sequence frame
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/GlassVaseTurntable008.jpg Glass vase
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/BrickWalldynamics060.jpg Brick Wall dynamics frame
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/PhatPanda117/Spaceship136.jpgSpace ships animation

I'm doing Graphic design too at the art studio, but I feel like its a direction I really am not liking.

It would be great too if I can get some school suggestions and explanations of their programs to look into since I have no idea where to look and WHAT to really look for in colleges or universities.

Pandaren117
08-25-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm looking into taking night classes at the Art Center in Pasadena, CA. Are there any courses that could help ground me in basic skills in art? I found Intro to figure drawing, among other things.

Pandaren117
10-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Is there any significant difference or information I should be aware about regarding university/colleges that offer foundation classes, like Savannah College of Art and Design or Art Academy in San Francisco? Would it be better if I take the time to go through a regular 4 year college/university and either get a bachelor's or transfer out midway to art school?

bstout
10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
two schools not listed yet. Rutgers has a pretty strong art program with a traditional focus, as well as an animation program.

also the New York Film Academy has an animation program.
It is a tech/ vocational school and might be a great way for you to get deep into animation before or after attending a 4 year liberal arts.

my own two cents is go to a 4 year liberal arts and supplement your art training elsewhere. the liberal arts prepares you for life and its winding curves. it gives you a better chance at navigating career changes and makes adults more capable of continuing to learn new things which is crucial with each new technology development (or software upgrade). If you are smart enough on paper to consider the Ivies, go that route. learn to think in the full depth that liberal arts gives you.

the strongest students i teach (at NYFA) have a technical background plus art skills. yes computer art demands the return of the rennaisance artist. the romantic artists tend to have troubles with the very technical side of computer art. i think the balance of disciplines you get you get from teh 4 year liberal arts give you more choices in life overall.

Jettatore
10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd take a step back and return the Math and Science path you were formerly on if I were you. Art degrees don't allow for any sort of fallback employment during rough economies or even if your struggling to get in the door at an art job. A four year BFA degree, isn't going to qualify you in any other industry for higher employment. However, with a Math/Science degree (or a liberal arts degree as suggested above) or no degree at all, you could surely find employment in the art field if you had a talent for it. Honestly, unless you get a full scholarship your throwing your money away at an art school. I'm not discouraging you from persuing art, or a career in the arts, just that full time art school is not a sound investment, and not even necessary. There are obvious exceptions, as I mentioned previously, if you get a full scholarship to a notable art university. Otherwise I'd really re-think the entire decision, even if that meant taking a year off after High School to contemplate your future, which is actually quite a wise idea.

On a side note. It's always cheaper to affirm residency in the city/state your college is located, a year prior to enrolling. Out of state students usually pay more, even at private Universities. This will give you the opportunity to learn the location, establish housing and even scope out and acquire part time employment before studies start which will be useful to return to during the summers/holidays or if the school allows it, part time in between classes. Not to mention, establishing residency, it will likely lower your tuition by a good amount.

Pandaren117
10-29-2009, 05:42 AM
I actually live in California.

Jettatore, regarding the math and science path I was referring to mostly that I worked myself over on the more academic side of my secondary school stuff. I think I would fare better in liberal arts.

Badru
11-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Hey Brian,

I had a similar experience -- going to a school that focused me into humanities and sciences, I decided I wanted to learn CG and go to an art school. Like you, its not that liberal arts scares me (If I weren't here I'd be studying either english or engineering).

Well, I've only been at art school for 2 or 3 months, but I've already put significant time into trying to figure out where to transfer to. I had a conversation with my Art History teacher a few nights ago in which she explained to me in depth the reasons why I will never find the intellectual stimulation here at art school that I want and, I now realize, very much need.

Art schools do not accept students based on academic rigor, writing skills, critical thinking abilities, etc. They focus entirely on portfolio. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it becomes a problem. Any non-art classes in the curriculum are usually there only because to get a BFA program certified, there needs to be a certain number of humanities/science programs. So the kids in these classes become not people who are interested in the subject matter, but people who need the credits and don't really care whatsoever about the course. The teacher will have to lower the course's content dramatically in order to make it teachable to an excruciatingly broad audience.

When I was in high school, I was surrounded by people who cared, people who wanted to learn, and people who participated in and were thrilled by open class discussion. I didn't put much credit in this because it was always there. Well, theres a lot of merit to that.

Another thing that has happened since I got here is that I have arguably learned more from books and tutorials that I find on the servers than I have from my teachers. I can't speak for all schools, but, at least here, the environment is absolutely not one of conducive learning and improving. The feeling is that we are all artists, but some are better than others and some are worse. It is a really de-humanizing feeling. Art school feels less like a place people go to learn art, and more like a place that young artists go to do art and maintain their current skill levels.

I am currently across the country, but am originally from Seattle. My interest in CG stems from my desire to work on videogames. I am planning on dropping out next year and applying to Digipen. This may seem backwards, since they are a school completely focused on gaming, rather than on a broader, more liberal arts approach, like I crave. However, they are one of very few schools that I know of that have very strong physics, math, and engineering departments (as well as an english minor :) ) and that will completely cater to my desire to make art for games.

I know I might not have the most experience on the matter. However, my advice is this: do not choose a college based primarily on what you want to do in the future. Choose a college based on the kinds of classes you really are interested in taking. If you enjoy psychology and writing, but want to do VFX in hollywood, don't discard you academic interests for a career oriented one. Find a school that will teach you all three.

KrzysztofFus
11-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Kevin,
Of course you're gonna learn more from tutorials and books than from teachers.
Why? Because you can personally spend hours upon hours doing it. A teacher has an entire class to manage and can not entirely cater to every persons needs in one class period.

I know you feel that SVA focuses entirely on artistic ability and not academics but thats what it is man. If you're an artist and you come to this school. THIS is your DREAM. No one here is here for the academics, hence why they don't even look at your SAT's. I'm sorry you're so disappointed that there aren't any hardcore writing and psycology classes, but no one in art school is gung ho for either. You're a freshman. Since you are a computer art student, your English and Art History classes are bullshit filler classes. If you were an Art History student, your Art History class would be challenging. The school plans around your major.

There are teachers at SVA who went to Harvard, who teach humanities, and are serious about what they do, and they challenge you and assign you tons of homework. But that's not what the average art student wants when they have a thesis to make, or 20 illustrations to draw, or 300 pages of inbetweens to animate. You come to find that you're art is more important and will get you the job, not some 20 page paper on "Candide".

If you want to go to Digipen then be my guest. But do not expect some magical place where they do art and humanities at the same level. Remember, Digipen is not an art school. Instead of art, its game programming and scripting. Sure, they have a game art program but it is completely inferior to the game art program you can do at SVA.

You need to step back and think to yourself. Do I want to make art for games. (Modeling, Level Design, Texturing) or do I want to code games.

Also, I have a question. Where the heck did you go to Highschool?

"When I was in high school, I was surrounded by people who cared, people who wanted to learn, and people who participated in and were thrilled by open class discussion. I didn't put much credit in this because it was always there. Well, theres a lot of merit to that."

I wish I could have had that experience but at SVA you still get that exact experience but with art. Im sorry that there are not many people at SVA as thrilled about learning humanities as you but those people are everywhere and it's not like going to Digipen will change that. You have to focus at being the best artist you can be here. No one will do it for you. At Digipen im sure a majority of your classes will be filled with kids disregarding their humanities classes and focusing on their coding and programming homework.

If you want to be an artist then be an artist. If you wanna go to school for psychology then go do that. You can not expect to be an expert in both fields.

You haven't even hit your second semester yet. You haven't taken any "real" classes.
Do not feel so underwhelmed when your schooling hasn't even really begun.

Badru
11-07-2009, 06:23 PM
If you're an artist and you come to this school. THIS is your DREAM.

This isn't "my dream." It is one of my interests that I've chosen to pursue.

You come to find that you're art is more important and will get you the job, not some 20 page paper on "Candide".

I don't want to pigeonhole myself into being a less rounded person just to get a certain job. 2 years ago I would have told you I wanted to be a writer more than anything else in the world. 4 years ago I might have told you that I wanted to study high level physics. I no longer know if I am interested in going to school to learn a specific trade.

If you want to go to Digipen then be my guest. But do not expect some magical place where they do art and humanities at the same level. Remember, Digipen is not an art school. Instead of art, its game programming and scripting. Sure, they have a game art program but it is completely inferior to the game art program you can do at SVA.

The point of bringing up Digipen was not to compare it's artistic merit to that of SVA. I left out the name of my school intentionally to avoid this discussion. However, Digipen is not exclusively a game programming and scripting school. Also, SVA does not have a game art program. SVA's program apparently caters to the film and animation industries. This isn't a bad thing necessarily, since it translates over, but I'm just saying.

One of my complaints about SVA is that I am no longer sure I want to be at an art school whatsoever. This isn't something that you can relate to yourself, I'm sure, and it's possible that for most people on this forum, the fact that I would trade a BFA for a BA makes no sense. However, for the Original Poster, I think this topic has merit.

Also, I have a question. Where the heck did you go to Highschool?

International Community School. It was a very small 7-12 charter school with a very focused humanities/sciences curriculum and stellar teachers (as well as 5 years of mandatory art classes).

If you want to be an artist then be an artist. If you wanna go to school for psychology then go do that. You can not expect to be an expert in both fields.

I am 18 years old, and fresh out of high school. I have had very minimal experience with life in general, and have no real way of knowing what I want. And that's what this discussion, for me, essentially breaks down to.

KrzysztofFus
11-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Your argument is totally valid. Its an argument that comes up time and time again.
I mean when I applied to colleges I applied to many high end robotics programs. I got into every single school I applied to.

What I gathered from working in the last year and listening from a lot of great teachers I had. In this industry, there is no room to breath in a way. You have to either go big or go home. Its too competitive of a field to not give 100% of your energy into making a great demo reel.

The point is, if you want to be a game ARTIST. Your art has to be at production level when you graduate to get a job.

The question you should ask yourself isn't whether or not you want to go to an art school. It should be whether or not you want to be a Game Artist.
If you crave sciences and physics then you should go to Digipen. But not for content creation. Go there for programing.

Badru
11-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Well, there are a lot of different positions for game artists, and they each require very different skills from a wide swath of areas. Really, to find my way in life the way you suggest, I should find a position in a specific company's workflow and focus entirely on fulfilling that position so that I can take that specific person's job. My point is that what you are saying is, I think, a bit absurd and over-focused.

How can you know what you want to do already? How can you be willing to spend 4 years driving yourself nuts spending 80 hours a week doing whatever it takes to do that one thing? I feel like the scenario you are setting up is one that may apply to some people, but only a relatively small portion of the young-adult population -- those who actually do have a very specific dream, and one that they know they will enjoy pursuing.

There are most definitely times to focus and times to learn trade skills. I am not arguing against that.

What I am suggesting to the Original Poster is that by taking a broader course, you will get the chance to explore your interests. Moreover, by focusing on learning the things that really deeply interest you, instead of focusing on learning the things that will get you a certain job, you will find out what job is really right for you (what job will make you happy). Additionally, you will be training yourself in your interests as you find your way towards that end goal.

And honestly, if you are under-trained in specific skills for that job (example: 3d modeller) you can pursue those trade skills in much more focused ways, at schools with shorter programs (example: gnomon or VFS).

It might cost more and take longer, and is definitely a trade off (by no means always the best choice), but I think that, for me at least, it seems like a much better way to go.

On that note, with both of our arguments presented, I really think we should avoid turning this into a one-on-one conversation. Can we get back to the Original Post now?

Paul McLaughlin
11-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Go to school to learn the craft, get some academic instruction, and get life experience. You can learn everything else at the cost of a couple late fees at your local library.

Pandaren117
11-09-2009, 03:55 AM
If anything, right now College apply list looks like this:

CSULB

UCI

UCSD

UCLA

USC

Chapman

SCAD

Carnegie Mellon University

And I want to posit that I am coming from a high school filled with above-average (mostly Asians, and this is demographically) academic achievers (this includes the gangsters who aren't really gangsters and cheerleaders and nerds and everyone else), so I am not entirely opposed to a broad education on top of said art education. and that I do not have a portfolio, and that I feel I do better with intimate classroom environments with an involved teacher rather than just words on a page. I think sometimes some tutorials do miss something that I cannot see.

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2009, 03:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.