PDA

View Full Version : Large Scene not rendering

TaKIKO
08-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Hey guys, I buddy of mine has modeled the Disney Castle for our finals at our school. He is currently unable to render his scene in mental ray. At first we thought it was because he heavily depened on the sub D preview mode(3 key) so we put everything on ones. Now the scene can translate the geometry but when mental ray takes over it say memory too slow and cancels the render. The scene is currently over 2 millions polygons unsmoothed.

Now I know mental ray can handle alot more geometry ,ive brought denser meshes from zbrush to maya and it rendered quick. So my question is how to optimize it scene so we can possible render the enitre scene with camera animation. Also i went through his outliner and saw that there were many groups and none of the objects were combined. So just for test I ungrouped everything and combined all the objects and I stil had memory issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heres a render he was able to obtain through a very "ghetto" method.

https://media.fullsail.com/gallery411/2009/08/images/38254_lg_Castle_hires2.jpg

cbamber85
08-15-2009, 09:12 AM
You're right, 2M polys is not a lot at all. Tell us the spec on your rendering machine and paste in any mr error messages.

scarface1
08-15-2009, 11:43 AM
first of all i suggest you hide thin objects like arrows or decoration because sometimes antialialiasing such geometries can increase rendertime even make it impossible.
in my experience mr doesnt crash on dense geometries if the geometry isn't unclean.
also it crashes on shadows.maybe playing with BSP attributes can help.
are you going to render the castle plain white or its tuxtured? because textures can easily fill memory.

InfernalDarkness
08-15-2009, 05:23 PM
2 million polys isn't a lot at all, unless you're using Windows 32-bit. Even with 4GB of RAM installed on your machine, Maya can only use up to 1.5GB. Since you're not using instanced geometry or assemblies, 2 million polys is generally too much for mental ray.

You may be able to cram a 2 megapoly mudbox or zbrush .obj into mental ray and render it. But the real solution is to install a 64-bit Windows along with 64-bit Maya. Even if you only have 4GB of RAM, Win7 x64 for example will then at least let you hit the 3 GB mark, so you'd double your effective RAM for Maya.

Running out of memory with 2 megapolys is typical under x86 Windows.

royter
08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
i did alot of tests and i found that on a 32 bit system you can render upt 2.5 / 3 millions polygons max (wit the 3 gb switch enabled in windoes xp)

Even if you only have 4GB of RAM, Win7 x64 for example will then at least let you hit the 3 GB mark, so you'd double your effective RAM for Maya.

is that right? i heard that with a win 64 bit system, u can use as much rams as you want , up to 20 GB?

Cheesestraws
08-15-2009, 08:29 PM
is that right? i heard that with a win 64 bit system, u can use as much rams as you want , up to 20 GB?

128GB, or if you are using one of the server versions up to 2TB. I think some of the Home versions limit to 16GB.

InfernalDarkness
08-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
Even if you only have 4GB of RAM, Win7 x64 for example will then at least let you hit the 3 GB mark, so you'd double your effective RAM for Maya.

You're right about "as much rams as you want", as is Cheesestraws.

What I meant in my previous post was that if you still kept your 4GB from a 32-bit OS setup, you would be able to use 3 or more GB for Maya instead of the 1.5GB it's limited to under the 32-bit OS.

So it wouldn't cost you a penny to effectively double Maya's usable RAM, so long as you also had the proper software too. You wouldn't have to purchase more RAM right off to get more out of your current setup.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2009, 08:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.