PDA

View Full Version : Image-based Facial Animation for “The Matrix Reloaded”

alphatron
08-03-2003, 11:01 PM
http://www.deathfall.com/article.php?sid=2726

The shot of Agent Smith without the hair is frickin' creepy.

j00st81
08-04-2003, 12:38 AM
:eek:

jeezus christ!

ceql
08-04-2003, 09:45 AM
lol whoa, that's freakin' awesome! :applause:

Thanks for the link!

SirLankyIII
08-04-2003, 10:32 AM
God damn

A bald Hugo Weaving... thats the scariest thing i've seen in a long time:surprised

aurora
08-04-2003, 03:18 PM
A blad Hugo, heck the top middle pic of Lawerence Fishburne is the one that freaks me out! I would love to get more details of the BRDF est's and SSS approx's they used.

Gentle Fury
08-04-2003, 04:10 PM
wow, simply amazing......i would love to see keanu's digi-double. I still say that movie was incredible!

Neil
08-04-2003, 04:35 PM
What i don't understand is that i don't remember the faces looking that good in the movie.

RobertoOrtiz
08-04-2003, 04:58 PM
The problem is that the faces were rarely shown upclose.
-R

cgwolf
08-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Actually the models and texturing looks good there. The problems I noticed with the actor models was mostly related to animation flaws. not the models themselves.

Good info though

PiledotNET
08-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Hi guys.

I didn't understand the quality of Neo's face when hi's up the clouds, looking down to the city.

I would like to see some wires of virtual Morpheus head, or maybe a 360º render of that shaded head. Guess I will be waiting this forever, right? :D

phyle
08-05-2003, 04:12 AM
Yeh those pics look great.
I know a lot of people have talked about neos digital double not quite looking right in the face, I wonder if they used the techniques on that webpage with him? theres no pictures of him there...

Gilgamesh
08-05-2003, 04:21 AM
Yeah, they used the same technique with Neo, as well as trinity. The one that was the most amazing to me was when trinity jumps out of the window. The closeup where she passes the camera is an entirely digital shot.

PiledotNET
08-05-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Gilgamesh
Yeah, they used the same technique with Neo, as well as trinity. The one that was the most amazing to me was when trinity jumps out of the window. The closeup where she passes the camera is an entirely digital shot.

Nooooo, dont belive! I didn't know it!!! :buttrock:

Really, I thought (is this the word?) just the gun was CG!

Is there any screenshot of that cene showing some "computer information"?

Neil
08-05-2003, 06:03 AM
I'm sure there are a lot more CG shots that we didn't notice.
But you'll always remember the bad shots... but hey, that's just how it works, unfortunately.

PiledotNET
08-05-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Neil
I'm sure there are a lot more CG shots that we didn't notice.
But you'll always remember the bad shots...

I'm sure I will remeber trinity gun shot more than anything else now! For sure!!! :D

But I just dont understand, how an "easyer" shot end worst than a "harder" shot.

SheepFactory
08-05-2003, 06:34 AM
wish you guys seen the matrix shot breakdowns at the Siggraph electronic theatre. It showed the hard work ESC has put into this movie. There were some incredible shots there.

playmesumch00ns
08-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Couple of colleagues who went said they were very, very impressed.

Not sure if it's on the same page as linked here but there's another couple of papers to do with their facial things, with a shot of Neo in them. In both he really looks a bit off (they're side-by-side with a plate from the film), like his facial proportions aren't quite right, but it's probably just the prespective.

The cloth shader was one of the things that really stood out for me in all the shots where there was a CG Neo or agents. But looking at the sketch concerning it they actually measured the reflectance from cloth samples with some hi-tech Lockheed kit... yet it looked crap! Don't get that...

aurora: If you read some of the other papers: the reflectance of the actors' faces was measured under different lighting conditions and stored in a lightmap. For SSS it sounds like they just burred the irradiance in UV-space and did a bit of raytracing only where needed, e.g. for the ears.

Airflow
08-05-2003, 01:15 PM
The window jump looked green screen to me mate....... Untill I see wireframes, thats what it was.....

Leonard
08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
I was at this SIGGRAPH session, and it was absolutely amazing to see the lengths that ESC went to in order to attain physically accurate 3D models of the actors heads for digital doubles. Make sure that you get hold of the PDF's on George's site.

George Borshukov's website is here:
http://www.virtualcinematography.org/

Leo

Gentle Fury
08-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by phyle
Yeh those pics look great.
I know a lot of people have talked about neos digital double not quite looking right in the face, I wonder if they used the techniques on that webpage with him? theres no pictures of him there...

http://www.virtualcinematography.org/publications/acrobat/Face-s2003.pdf

if you can actually tell the difference between the real neo and his digital other you get a cookie ;)

See i think the biggest problem was not in the models, or the animation......i think the biggest problem is the suspension of disbelief..............you see 100 smiths fighting neo and your brain says.....ok, that can't happen........which in turn allows you to nit pick all the inaccuracies..........i'm positive there were scenes in that movie that looked so real you never had a clue it wasnt.....and of course your not going to doubt it, because it could be real.......but 100 smiths couldnt be. The only problems i noticed was in the distant shots when smiths were being thrown into the air......they kinda had that ragdoll feel to them......but again, i've never seen a man thrown 30 feet in the air at such force....maybe it was perfect.

btw, thanks for that link leo........awesome papers!!!

omg, how much would we all want this as a resume.....lol

http://www.virtualcinematography.org/resume.html

JA-forreal
08-05-2003, 09:52 PM
AweMazing!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.