PDA

View Full Version : 3dmax- vertices on mesh change position after turning off physique (urgent project)

Piotrek255
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi

I recently rigged with biped and skinned with physique 8 characters (It had to be done in physique for this project).

Now i noticed that when i turn off the physique, the vertecis on characters models change position slightly and sometimes the whole model shifts in random direction... i dunno if it will be visible after exporting to engine, but the client wants this bug removed...

How to fix that without having to do the skinning again?

PEN
08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Well first off get rid of Physique and use skin. If you can't do that well you are just going to have to deal with Physique and it's limitations.

I'm going to guess that you mesh has been scaled or the rig has been scaled. If it is the mesh then you need to use the reset xform tool on it. How ever I don't know that you can reset Physique without just starting from scratch. If you have to start from scratch then use Skin.

If you have scaled the rig then you are in for a world of pain as you just shouldn't do it.

Piotrek255
08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I didnt scale the rig, but i dont know if the models i got had xform applied to them, the verticis dont deform the mesh so much but in some of the characters the whole mesh shifts(without some strange deformations on the character's general look), in some of them only some vertices move very little, it does not deform the mesh so much that it's ugly, but the client asks to remove this bug.... unfortunately i have to stick with physique, it's was the first and the last time i had to use it for sure.

PEN
08-14-2009, 02:41 AM
Well then you need to reset the xform on the model.

timothyc
08-14-2009, 07:12 AM
It's been a whle since I used Physique, but there is a "reinitialize" button you could try. So long as you haven't hand weighted any of the verts (i.e. they are weighted by envelopes only) this might work.

Also, in the Vertices subobject mode there is a way of locking the vertices. If they aren't locked already (I think they will already be locked if someone went in and handweighted them) you can try locking them manually. (My guess is that this won't help).

Physiquw has a few of these "quirks" (which may or may not be bugs; possibly they're more like design flaws in the workflow that encourages these quirks to occur, so technically you could call them user errors) and I recall a few times in the past where I just had to bite the bullet and start over. OTOH, I recall other times where I just ignored the slight displacement since it didn't have any visible detrimental effect on the finished animation and it was only my anal-retentive nature that felt disturbed. It's unfortunate that anal-retentive might also be a good description of your client ;-(

TC

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2009, 07:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.