PDA

View Full Version : Spline IK forearm rig for Maya?

ntmonkey
08-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a forearm rig simulating the ulna/radius rotation. All I know is that it uses a spline IK from the elbow to the wrist so the geometry will have less of a chance to collapse. Also, it involves detaching the curve shape in the hypergraph and smoothing binding it to a control joint. I thought this was a unique way of getting a decent rotation on the forearm, but I can't find a tutorial to help out.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm talking about? I was wondering if there's a published tutorial online or something.

Thanks,

Lu

loked
08-03-2003, 08:54 PM
There's been some discussion here:
Forearm Setup (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78254)

I'm not sure if it'll help you, but it seems to be similar to what you asking for.

Hope it helps:thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

ntmonkey
08-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the tip there.

It sorta helped. But I don't think it involved a script (well, I'm sure it did under the hood but not like that).

I'll ask around and post up what I find. I think some of you might find it interesting.

peace,

Lu

john_homer
08-05-2003, 06:01 AM
I think I have seen the setup you are refering too..

I'm pretty sure it was a SIGGRAPH or AWGUA paper written by jason... in 2001..
actually, just had a look.. its on the A|W rigging in a production pipline DVD. (by jason (of course):)

which is well worth the purchase... even though the price is well steep ;)

.j

john_homer
08-05-2003, 06:07 AM
ps. there is no spline IK, its 2 parallel SC ik's...

buy the DVD dude. its good.. and jason makes some funny jokes too ;^P

haha
.j

loked
08-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Okay, I was a little confused, cause I had no idea how an ikspline would be used in a forearm:)

Anyway, as John mentioned, the DVD is definitely well worth the purchase and the forearm setup is probably the least impressive of all the things in the DVD, so you definitely getting your money's worth.

There is a very similar setup here at this link, go check it out:

Forearm Tutorial (http://www.electronicgaming.com/tutorials/)

hope this helps :thumbsup:
loked

ntmonkey
08-05-2003, 09:14 AM
You guys have a link to where I buy that DVD?

Thanks,

Lu

loked
08-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Yeah,

You can go order it here :

Jason Schleifer's DVD (http://store.aliaswavefront.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry16?SP=10024&PN=29&xid=41107&V1=30012311&V2=30012311&V3=1&V5=11000161&V4=10&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0)

It's really a good buy:thumbsup:

loked

jschleifer
08-07-2003, 01:26 AM
wow.. thanks guys! :)

loked
08-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Hey Jason,

Now you need to bring out that new one you've been talking about for so long:)

I saw the new rigging DVD on Alias|Wavefront's website, have you had a chance to check it out yet? It's done by a guy from Disney. I'd like to hear what people think of it.

It's kinda like buying nike, as long as it's got the tick you'll buy it. In CG if it's got Jason Schleifer written somewhere, you buy it just as quickly. So now, I'm a little unsure about buying this new rigging DVD, they should have just put your name somewhere:)

Later:wavey:
loked

jschleifer
08-07-2003, 07:20 AM
I'd be interested in hearing more about jayme's dvd, too! If it's the jayme I knew from Alias|Wavefront, he's a really nice guy.

as for the one I've been thinking about doing.. probably won't be for a while. :) Gotta finish up Return of the King, gotta figure out what's happening next, and gotta plan a wedding (woo hoo!)

-jason

bentllama
08-07-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by jschleifer
gotta plan a wedding (woo hoo!)

congrats bro! all the best! :beer:

marco
08-07-2003, 09:57 AM
congrats jason!! :thumbsup:

Scandell
08-08-2003, 03:49 AM
Congrats on the wedding!

Marriage is a wonderful instituion...I HIGHLY recommend it.

I hope all goes well, and i wish you the best!

(I have been married for 3 years now.) Every year gets better and better!)

Cheers!

ntmonkey
08-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Hey,

Geeze, I leave for a couple of days and Jason Schleifer show up announcing his wedding? :scream:

Congrats man!

Its nice to see nerds all over snagging babes. Best of luck, dude. And make sure you put down the toilet seat!

Anyway, I sorta figured it out with the spline IK, but its not nearly as practical as the traditional ulna/radius rig. To an extent, the geometry will still collapse on itself if it turns too far. Go fig.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Lu

jschleifer
08-09-2003, 10:57 PM
heh :) thanks all!

yeah, pretty exciting.. however we've been living together for over a year, so I already know 'bout the toilet seat! (learned that one quickly.. whew!)

My lady's now tellin all her friends.. "go geek" :)

Matt Leishman
08-10-2003, 05:31 AM
great work on the wedding man!! I'm like Scandell on this one - I highly recommend it. So its like an open invite for all us travellers here at cgtalk to be at the wedding? Ya, that's what I thought . . .;) Oh ya, I recommend handing out free copies of your dvd's at the reception as party gifts - big hit!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.