PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on the best learning environment?

EYEINVISION
08-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I just recently came upon an article in a magazine, 3D artist. I was wondering if anyone is attending or knows any information on the school, out side of what a recruiter might give me. Also I am currently under the ITT bachelors degree for Digital Entertainment & Game Design. However, not to brag but have surpassed most of my teachers in skill set and technical know how. I decided to go into school with the practice of ( You get what you put in. ), seriously. At any rate knowing what other schools are doing and seeing what the students pump out, makes me sick to my stomach knowing what I pay for in tuition costs for the experience that I get out of it.

I am kinda wondering what would be a better resume or portfolio in the eyes of the employer. A certificate from GNOMON or a degree from the University, Cumbria or Full Sail, or should I just stick it through with ITT and then move on to another? I hate wasting time and money. I have a lot to learn and at 30 years old. ALOT of catching up to do with the professionals that I see.

I don't necessarily want to be stuck with just the skill set for video games, as I would like to be more versed with CG work as a whole (becoming dynamic). Though I will get the degree I will not be satisfied with the final result of this education. I've seen other graduates work here at ITT and have been told that some of my final projects for quarters have been more impressive than most capstone projects by my teachers. (no intention of bragging, just giving examples of my experience as a whole here at ITT.) My classmates are at best struggling with basic art principles and it is in my opinion that the recruiters here give a vibe to people that they can teach art as a left side skill set. Not only that but I hate having only 11 weeks to play around and encompass an entire program. Then moving on to something entirely different. Ex. Flash to 3DS MAX ( I Donít like accelerated classes) In reality the Networking abilities hear are sub par at best. I have found a total of 3 students that I could say, Yes I would do a group project with you. Not that I hold my head higher. More so that I trust their dedication to a project. I understand that I could learn on my own and not spend my money or rack up debt for that matter. But I love the group learning environment and would love to be surrounded by more artistic and like minded students to fine tune my own skill sets. (LOVE THE CHALLENGE). I have a tendency to learn and hold more of the information I gather from this type of inner competition interaction.

In short, lol Where would someone recommend I look for this type of learning experience?

Thank you,
EYEINVISION

Airflow
08-13-2009, 01:31 AM
I think you just have to look about on the forums. Training comes in many guises.

EYEINVISION
08-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Yeah I get you there. Thanks for the link. Iíll be sure to check it out. I guess what I was really looking for was not so much as advice on what people think as I was looking for students or professionals in these schools taking these courses and letting me know how itís working or not working for them. A poll if you will.

Thanks again,

EYEINVISION

KThnxBye
08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Here's a full sail dude's vlog of his experience there... I don't endorse full sail or anything, I just think this is a good resource for people looking for schools. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreativeItch

I am kinda wondering what would be a better resume or portfolio in the eyes of the employer.
Yeah, I always hear that the portfolio is the number one thing employers look at. If you think you have enough motivation to crank a decent one out yourself, make sure you post wips for all of us to see! Participating in competitions is also a fun way to motivate yourself to get your portfolio ready ;).

Also if you want to add to your list of possible schools, I've heard a lot of good things about SCAD.

solidslade
08-14-2009, 12:25 AM
A bit of a biased response, but here goes :

Find a set of developers who wish to compete in the independent games festivals. Producing art assets for the team saves them a lot of time. Hacker types usually are not well versed in art production, and an onboard artist can greatly increase the time to develop.

There are many institutions in academia that have Game Design programs, but lack an artist component. UC Santa Cruz's game design program, which focuses on game production and programming, could use all artists who want to develop and learn game design.

My current project has a roster of 7 artists, all working via forums.

Exposure to any development environment, whether be it academia, or independent games, can give you a lot of experience.

zbaby
08-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Not to jack his thread but I'm curious on his question:
What would look better on your resume a certificate from gnomon, or BA from ITT?

I'm assuming studios and companies find the gnomon certificate more appealing, or it doesn't even matter where you got the degree and mostly depends on portfolio?

Airflow
08-16-2009, 02:14 AM
To be totally honest, I think the portfolio is the dealbreaker, it dont matter if you studied or not, if it was with Escape or Evan your buddy down the road. If your reel is good and you dont turn out to be a recluse in the interview you show your capability and are likely to walk away employed..

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2009, 02:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.