PDA

View Full Version : car paint phen color probs..

phix314
08-12-2009, 11:24 PM
maya 2k9, mental ray.

I'm building a barbie car, and I cant seem to get the mi_car_paint_phen_x parameters down. Everything's "stock" except the edge color and base color, in which I have either a projection of a ramp or a layered texture.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/roaphotosharing/Maya/what.jpg

As you can see, there's barely any color.

I made a new scene and futzed with the parameters, and it doesn't seem to be anything really advanced, all the parameters do what I figured they would, but my car just doesn't want to have color. Only thing I can think is the scale, it's fairly large (the grid is about half the size of the rim).

Any thoughts?

B4C
08-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Is it that you have your lit color set to a silver when what you want is pink?

phix314
08-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I tried that. Didn't help.

One thing I thought was strange is it's just fine if I light it with FG only. With the area lights though, the color doesn't show. I have a physical light node in em too, if that means anything to this shader.

phix314
08-15-2009, 06:45 PM
So it would seem none of the paint shaders are working. Even at their default settings.

Surely there's something I'm missing... ?

B4C
08-15-2009, 08:01 PM
It may be the physical light. I just tried area lights and had no problem.

phix314
08-16-2009, 12:55 AM
I thought so too.. I took the physical out and still the same thing. Only thing left is the scale (doubtful) or some unseen problem with the geometry (normals are good, btw).

Reed5point0
08-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I had a problem like this, and this my not be the issue you got, but please check this.

in the Mental Ray render options go make sure "Pass Custom Alpha Channel" is checked in the "Custom Entities" options dropdown.

...just a guess lol.

CGNotebook
12-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Heya -

If it helps at all, here's a complete rundown of the car paint phen and all of its associated attributes:

http://cgnotebook.com/wiki/Mental_ray_for_Maya_mi_car_paint_phen

See if there are any clues in there, if not the problem must lie somewhere else???

JeffPatton
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Everything's "stock" except the edge color and base color, in which I have either a projection of a ramp or a layered texture.If everything is stock except those two items, which are the main controls for the color...then I'd say your problem is with either the "projection of a ramp" item you mention or the layered texture. Remove both of those and use the color swatches to see if that 'fixes' the color problem. If so, then dig into those two maps to see why they aren't working properly in the car paint material.

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.