PDA

View Full Version : 'MudWalker' and 'ReLight' plugins for Mudbox 2010 are now available

DarthWayne
08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
'MudWalker' and 'ReLight' plugins for Mudbox 2010 are now available for download

http://www.mudboxhub.com/temp/mudwalkersplash.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK (http://www.mudboxhub.com/s/plugin)

As Mudbox 2010 is out to the sbscribers, both plugins are now live for download.

MudWalker supports the following applications:

Mudbox to Autodesk Softimage / XSI
*Mudbox to Autodesk 3ds Max 2010 design (FBX and OBJ)
*Mudbox to Autodesk 3ds Max 2010 (FBX and OBJ)
*Mudbox to Autodesk 3ds Max 2009 (FBX and OBJ)
*Mudbox to Autodesk Maya 2009 (FBX and OBJ)
*Mudbox to Autodesk Maya 2010 (FBX and OBJ)
Mudbox to Autodesk Softimage (FBX and OBJ)
Mudbox to Modo 401 (FBX and OBJ)
Nevercenter Silo 2 (OBJ)
Mudbox to Topogun
Headus UVLayout
Mudbox to Adobe After Effects
Mudbox to Adobe Photoshop CS4 64 bit
Mudbox to Adobe Photoshop CS4 32 bit
Mudbox to Adobe Photoshop CS3
Mudbox to Adobe Photoshop CS2
FBX Import to Mudbox 2010
OBJ Import to Mudbox 2010
*Works from both open and closed version's of the applications.

MudWalker is free to all artist and companies with less than 5 artists of any type.

Enjoy

Wayne...

SheepFactory
08-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Does mudwalker transfer topology changes between apps and automaticly apply the changes in mudbox like go z does?

DarthWayne
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Does mudwalker transfer topology changes between apps and automaticly apply the changes in mudbox like go z does?

mudbox >> create a disp map

1 click to host app of your choice.

retop or add edges however you like.

1 click back to mudbox2010

Use sculpt using displacement to recreate entire model and sculpting levels using existing shader and textures if required.

In version 2 the disp map baking and re-applying will be automated 100% (ran out of time, plus I'm only 1 guy programming this.) There's far more interstig stuff coming in version 2 and 3 that no one has similar stuff out for anywhere. :)

Wayne...

hanskloss
08-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Wayne you're a monster!!! You're doing what ADSK should have done. Thank you!!

DarthWayne
08-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Wayne you're a monster!!! You're doing what ADSK should have done. Thank you!!

To be fair, they could've done ages back but as they only own their apps and not everyone elses they would only have been able to add the autodesk ones. Then cue lots of people moaning about them excluding other apps etc lol. So in some ways something like MudWalker can only be created for Mudbox by someone outside of Autodesk.

Users asked for it at a masterclass I gave in the netherland earlier this year..the idea started back then... I just made it work.

Wayne...

a13xr3d
08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
You deserve an award. Or at least a pack of beer. Either way, you rock!

I'm not a programmer, so I wouldn't know, but as mudwalker gets developed more, is it possible that changes in mudbox, and another 3d app, would update in real-time (side by side)? It might be the laziness of pressing a single button speaking, but it would be very nice to have.

DarthWayne
08-13-2009, 12:36 AM
If a single click is too much for the 3d world then there is no hope lol.

A few reasons why I think that would be a bad idea are:

Firstly it's pointless to have data in 2 places when only one of them can be used at any one time.
It'd as a result be a massive resource hog
Someone would complain that they couldn't do it with a 50 million poly mesh without crashes lol (you can guarentee SOMEONE would try it lol)
Waste of time a development resources.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Wayne...

PS I'll take the beer unless of course the award could be sold on ebay for a wacom (mines screwed and wont work at all now.) :D:D

ChewyPixels
08-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks for putting in all the hard work into getting these into our grubby hands. :)

Now all I need is upgrading to 2010 someday.

vfx
08-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Wayne you are a star! I'll shoot across a donation as soon as I've saved my pennies for Mudbox 2010 :) when I have a reason to use your awesome powers. Look forward to auto applying displacement setups between apps ;)

P.S. Is Mudbox's SDK readily available - wouldn't mind having a gander myself.

Cheers

Not being a dick or anything, but you might want to check this sentence on your site, bold word is meant to say well:

MudWalker was beta tested at Pixar to assure it worked will in production pipelines

jasonhuang1115
08-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Thank you, Wayne. Can't wait to try this with Mudbox 2010. Really looking forward to the v2 and v3.....

DarthWayne
08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Wayne you are a star! I'll shoot across a donation as soon as I've saved my pennies for Mudbox 2010 :) when I have a reason to use your awesome powers. Look forward to auto applying displacement setups between apps ;)

P.S. Is Mudbox's SDK readily available - wouldn't mind having a gander myself.

The Mudbox SDK ships as part of Mudbox 2010. :) Oh I'm known for my typos..brains goes faster than hands can type lol. There have been some spectacular ones over the years so I'm not exaclty touchy about it lol.

Wayne...

DarthWayne
08-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks to all those who've said such nice stuff....it took a while to pull MudWalker and its supported app features together. (Some problems encountered would make your hair curl.....dealing with roads into and out of that many apps can get hairy.)

Wayne...

MasonDoran
08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I know people are asking about it supporting Topology changes.

Out of the box, Mud supports importing geometry based on UVs.

So if you model a full body character as a single mesh, give it proper UVs, you can then delete the body and leave just the head and make topological changes that keep UVs intact . Make blendshapes in your 3d app, then import these as layers within Mudbox. The changes will affect just the Head, and not the rest of the body.

This technique is great if you want to refine a pose, like just tweak the hand without affecting the rest of the body.

So the question is Darth, can you import based on UVs?

PaulAdams
08-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Is this literally just importing geo back and forth or is it more like a full alternative to GoZbrush? Does it do single click displacement setup with shaders etc? If so I'll donate right now good man.

DreamboxDigital
08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Thank you for this, Wayne! I also wanted to thank you for your helpful videos on Mudboxhub- I enjoyed watching them all the other night. Keep it up!

DarthWayne
08-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Is this literally just importing geo back and forth or is it more like a full alternative to GoZbrush? Does it do single click displacement setup with shaders etc? If so I'll donate right now good man.

Watch the videos on mudboxhub they'll give you a good idea...

geo, materials, textures, blend shapes for starters

disp set up is for version 2 on wards. After all I am only 1 guy and not a corporation with lots of coders....1 guy who last coded 8 years back and wrote this in just under 3 months and had to learn maxscript, vbscript and mel as well as the sdk . So all in all I think I did pretty well. ;)

Its free and people can use it or not..no one is twisting anyones arm.

Wayne...

eek
08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Looks awesome! wish you'd called it mudSlinger.. lol

SheepFactory
08-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Watch the videos on mudboxhub they'll give you a good idea...

geo, materials, textures, blend shapes for starters

disp set up is for version 2 on wards. After all I am only 1 guy and not a corporation with lots of coders....1 guy who last coded 8 years back and wrote this in just under 3 months and had to learn maxscript, vbscript and mel as well as the sdk . So all in all I think I did pretty well. ;)

Its free and people can use it or not..no one is twisting anyones arm.

Wayne...

I thought you said it is free only for individual users. What is the pricing for studios?

Why are you being so defensive anyway? people are asking valid questions about your plugin.

BrianD24
08-14-2009, 05:36 AM
He's not. I think he just wants people to read the info and give it a go, thats all.

MasonDoran
08-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Its the kind of response that comes from being overworked, sleep deprivation, and in need of a 2 week vacation before dealing with the public.

vfx
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
It would be great if you can get a disp relationship setup between mud and maya.. thats a feature worth paying for! As it stands, I think most of the things that mudwalker does can be done with import/export of the fbx format in mud2010.. correct me if I'm wrong :blush:

Keep at it mate - all appreciated :)

DarthWayne
08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
It would be great if you can get a disp relationship setup between mud and maya.. thats a feature worth paying for! As it stands, I think most of the things that mudwalker does can be done with import/export of the fbx format in mud2010.. correct me if I'm wrong :blush:

FBX is simply one of the transport formats used it doesn't handle the translation needed between apps etc. MudWalker is not fbx in a wrapper if thats what your asking lol.

Wayne...

DarthWayne
08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I thought you said it is free only for individual users. What is the pricing for studios?

Why are you being so defensive anyway? people are asking valid questions about your plugin.

Pricing is available to studios on request.

I dont see anything I said as defensive at all..simply pointing out facts. I dont think its being defensive to ask people to read the help files or watch the videos about it before making a judgement and not base one on nothing more than the feature list. Its down to a persons motivation.

Wayne...

MisterE
08-14-2009, 09:37 PM
I watched the videos and this does, indeed, seem bad ass w/ lots of time saving features. Sheep brought up an interesting question, in regards to being able to transfer topology back n' forth. So, Wayne, you're saying right now it relies on creating a displacement map, but that in the future it "will be automated 100%" Any idea on when to expect this new version? As it stands now it would seem, to me, that having to rely on creating a displacement map (and then having to update UV's everytime) when retopo'ing or adding edges is a bit cumbersome. And SINCE it relies on a displacement map, it wouldn't be a 100% accurate conversion, would it? I mean considering there might be minor issues with UVs like stretching, overlaps, and seems, etc..

This brings me to another question, or possibly request. Would it be possible to incorporate a de-subdividing feature in Mudbox? Or is this being worked on? For example, you would bring in a hi-poly mesh and could de-subdivide, or step DOWN levels to get back to your original base mesh (like "Reconstruct Subdiv" in Zbrush). Now, I know this was asked before, and I believe the response was something along the lines of "No this will NOT be incorporated as you can achieve the same results with using a displacement map." Well I call BS on that as that hi-poly mesh may not have UVs and all other traces of the mesh were lost/destroyed (say, a virus or Hard drive crash [and there were no backups!])? Of course, again like the issue I mention above, assuming there are UVs, they may not be perfect and thus may not bring you an accurate base mesh. Therefore, requiring additional tweaks. I'd love to see this feature eventually implemented and cannot imagine why it has yet to be.

DarthWayne
08-15-2009, 08:58 AM
I watched the videos and this does, indeed, seem bad ass w/ lots of time saving features. Sheep brought up an interesting question, in regards to being able to transfer topology back n' forth. So, Wayne, you're saying right now it relies on creating a displacement map, but that in the future it "will be automated 100%" Any idea on when to expect this new version?

lol I've only just released this version.:) I dont wall myself into timetables...with 2 kids under 5 that'd be REALLY stupid of me.

As it stands now it would seem, to me, that having to rely on creating a displacement map (and then having to update UV's everytime) when retopo'ing or adding edges is a bit cumbersome. And SINCE it relies on a displacement map, it wouldn't be a 100% accurate conversion, would it? I mean considering there might be minor issues with UVs like stretching, overlaps, and seems, etc..

Yes it can be a 100% accurate conversion, much of peoples problems with detail loss stems from misunderstanding how map size affects the final result. Once the autodesk masterclass vids are back up I'd recommend watching the part of my mudbox one that covers this. It basically comes down to a 'theoretical polygon count' a map size can accomodate and the actual polygon count in usage. 99% of problems are down to misunderstanding the theory behind it all.

But again People are expected to have basic sound knowledge of uving, as if they dont anyway you can be certian it'll bite them on the arse one day.

This brings me to another question, or possibly request. Would it be possible to incorporate a de-subdividing feature in Mudbox? Or is this being worked on? For example, you would bring in a hi-poly mesh and could de-subdivide, or step DOWN levels to get back to your original base mesh (like "Reconstruct Subdiv" in Zbrush). Now, I know this was asked before, and I believe the response was something along the lines of "No this will NOT be incorporated as you can achieve the same results with using a displacement map." Well I call BS on that as that hi-poly mesh may not have UVs and all other traces of the mesh were lost/destroyed.

When you baking from a high poly sculpt the high poly doesn't need any UV coordinates. Creatig a new low poly isn't hard to do and doens't take long. Being frank what you are on about is a niche market feature that isnt worth the time it would take to develope in my oppinion. But I'm sure others will disagree.

Wayne...

GaryHaus
08-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I just wish there was a OS X version :( Wayne, this is so great and I commend you for the massive effort, only so much one man can do. Great job sir!

Gary

BrianD24
08-15-2009, 09:41 PM
...with 2 kids under 5 that'd be REALLY stupid of me.

Hah remember this folks. Thanks for the time invested, not easy with kids (not like I have any, but I can imagine).

DarthWayne
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I just wish there was a OS X version :( Wayne, this is so great and I commend you for the massive effort, only so much one man can do. Great job sir!

Gary

There will be a mac version...I'm having to pull in a favour to get it tweaked and compiled for the mac as I dont own one.

Wayne...

MisterE
08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Just wanted to respond again to avoid any confusion on what I was trying at last time around.

lol I've only just released this version.:) I dont wall myself into timetables...with 2 kids under 5 that'd be REALLY stupid of me.

I think I speak for all Mudbox users when I say I'm grateful you've released this plugin. I realize, to my knowledge (of what you've said in the past), you've done this all on your own. It's funny, when you wrote that you're doing this as "1 guy and not a corporation with lots of coders." Being a product of Autodesk, a multi-million dollar corporation, one might assume they'd either be working on this sort of "plugin"/update themselves; Or if not, hopefully offer you some support. I mean, HAS Andrew or anyone from Mudbox, or Autodesk, chipped in to help you?

When you baking from a high poly sculpt the high poly doesn't need any UV coordinates. Creatig a new low poly isn't hard to do and doens't take long. Being frank what you are on about is a niche market feature that isnt worth the time it would take to develope in my oppinion. But I'm sure others will disagree.

No, creating a new low poly mesh isn't hard and doesn't take that long...depending on the requirements and complexity of your mesh. But, again for the sake of argument, assume the hi-res had UVs and if you simply could de-subdivide, as you can in Zbrush, you would not only have your original base mesh, but your original UVs as well. In this case you would also be able to re-use your original textures w/o having to reproject them, or worse, recreate them. Basically, you'd be saving valuable time in whatever workflow you're assigned. However, Mudbox simply doesn't have this feature.

Again, I'm not necessarily requesting this feature done solely by you, Wayne. I'm merely trying to understand, because to me, from my POV, it seems like a simple yet efficient task for Autodesk to implement (but then again I'm not a programmer). Is de-subdividing/re-egineering a mesh a hard thing to code? Is it harder now to write it in the current iteration of Mudbox than before?

My last question I had in mind, not necessarily relating directly to MudWalker, but to Mudbox 2010 is: Has the new Mudbox, and their respective plugins, been tested under Windows 7? If so, were the results more favorable over XP (specifically on 64-bit)?

DarthWayne
08-19-2009, 09:05 PM
It's funny, when you wrote that you're doing this as "1 guy and not a corporation with lots of coders." Being a product of Autodesk, a multi-million dollar corporation, one might assume they'd either be working on this sort of "plugin"/update themselves; Or if not, hopefully offer you some support. I mean, HAS Andrew or anyone from Mudbox, or Autodesk, chipped in to help you?

I've got the mudbox team on speed dial if I need them I can give them a shout...that is over and above the normal support I'd get as a member of the autodesk developers network. Andrew Camenisch is responsible for the maya mel code for MudWalker....his was more elegant than my solution, although both worked just as well.

Again, I'm not necessarily requesting this feature done solely by you, Wayne. I'm merely trying to understand, because to me, from my POV, it seems like a simple yet efficient task for Autodesk to implement (but then again I'm not a programmer). Is de-subdividing/re-egineering a mesh a hard thing to code? Is it harder now to write it in the current iteration of Mudbox than before?

There was no SDK for mudbox 2009 or version 1, so thats outside my area of knowledge. But you may be suprised to find that things are not always as straight forwards as they seem. When subdividing you only have the model itself to deal with and its next subd level..when un-subdividing (is that even a real word lol?), you have the high level mesh in memory before you even start any calculations.... Not impossibole to deal with but not simple as it may seem.

My last question I had in mind, not necessarily relating directly to MudWalker, but to Mudbox 2010 is: Has the new Mudbox, and their respective plugins, been tested under Windows 7? If so, were the results more favorable over XP (specifically on 64-bit)?

Windows 7 RC only became available fairly late on in the beta testing.... I know it was used by some beta testers, but I've no idea what percentage.

Wayne...

calilifestyle
08-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Since this now supports Modo does that mean the file type could also be opened in Lightwave, shoot and Messiah. right

DarthWayne
08-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Since this now supports Modo does that mean the file type could also be opened in Lightwave, shoot and Messiah. right

Theoriticaly yes.... but as I dont own those apps I can't add them easily. Or rather I could add them...but not test them at all.

Wayne...

ronaldomiranda
08-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Mr. Darth! really thanx for offer that special gift!

I am living in a small country city of Brazil, so believe me my internet connection inhere is EDGE, and i got a connection about average about 4kb and sometimes with luck a bit more :(
So i could not open the videos for now, cause on the most times, it doesnt load until the end!

So i would ask you some basic questions, about it:

1. the UAC you told before, only applies to WINDOWS VISTA , right? i didnt find it on windows xp 64 bits (which i am using now)

2. the only way i could make the plug-in to work is saving my mudox files into the folder C:\MudboxTemp nammed as OUTPUT.fbx.

Sorry if sound so dumb :(

any help on make this work will be very apreciated!

i really live very far from the 1st internet cafe! when i really need it, i go to the city! believe me :)

ronaldo

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2009, 03:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.