PDA

View Full Version : Fur/Hair Vray rendering

mistasix
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Appologies if this has been done to death, had quite a search on the subject and found a few scene files, but no clear cut instructions on how to actually do it.

Anyways, I've added fur to a surface, which appears in the editor all fine and dandy, but does not appear when rendered with the Vray bridge turned on, even if I apply a Vray material to the fur, so not sure what to do to get this to render. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

telnoi-c4d
08-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Compositing,
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=706991&highlight=hair+vray
or generate geometry (generate tab of hair object).

mistasix
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Compositing,
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=706991&highlight=hair+vray
or generate geometry (generate tab of hair object).

Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated. I tried using the render settings outlined in that thread, but unfortunately no joy (although my knowledge of compositing is very limited), and I tried using the hair module instead of fur and browsed the generate tab, when you refer to generate geometry, do you mean the options for 'Flat' 'Triangular' etc? If so I tried these settings too, but again, no luck I'm afraid.

telnoi-c4d
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
when you refer to generate geometry, do you mean the options for 'Flat' 'Triangular' etc? If so I tried these settings too, but again, no luck I'm afraid.

Yes. It should work, as it generates geometry. Surely, Vray can render that ;)

mistasix
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes. It should work, as it generates geometry. Surely, Vray can render that ;)

You're right, sorry, my computer having a wobble, managing to render it now, just looks a bit aweful though given that it's Vray, sure that can be fixed with a bit of play with the hair module and materials though. Thanks a bunch for your help. :bowdown:

lllab
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
vray renders hair fine when you set in one of the modes where real geometry is produced.
you can adjust its shape nicely via the c4d hair material and use all hair settings. you can also use custome objects to replace the normal hair (wheat field ect)

this works nice, also good for grass fields, but we recommend a 64bit machine as this does take some ram of course. vray renders them fast as it does not slow down much with many polygons.

you then add in addition a vray brdf material to the hairs to give them nice speculars, you can deal with them just like normal other c4d objects. you need vray 1.1 for using hair.

cheers
stefan

mistasix
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Chaps, thanks very much for your help on this, I am now getting to grips with it and making realistic looking grass.

On a related note, I'm a bit stuck on one thing, basically, I've added hair to a plane and I have tried two approaches, one using the hair module and one using the DPIT Nature Spirit module, basically with both, I am unable to create uniform looking grass, even if I set the gravity so that effectively everything is pointing dead straight upwards, it still appears patchy when rendered. I've noticed though that this does not happen when I apply hair or grass (DPIT) to a solid object like a cube or sphere, and is far more controlable. Obviously for my purposes this is a bit obsolete as I want to make it look like there is some very well kept grass on the floor, as opposed to wrapped around a ball or box. Any suggestions welcome, sorry if I'm sounding like a inquisitive 5-year old or something!

Tangster
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Without trying to figure out why it's not working on a plane, I'd suggest just using a large box of the hair, instead of a plane, just make sure it's converted to geometry and then select the polys you want the hair to appear on. Should work fine.
I'll post a scene file for you to look at in a little bit, I'm just rendering atm.
Okay, I just tried a plane, pretty simple:
-create plane and convert to geometry.
-Select the polys to put grass on (in mine I just selected all of them.)
-Create grass by adding the hair and then fiddle with the settings.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/dudquitter/Greengrass.jpg
I've included the c4d file as well for you to look at, it just uses my standard settings for a basic grass using the HAIR module.
I hope this helps. ;)

mistasix
08-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Tangster, many thanks, you are a gent! That's been very helpful indeed, didn't think to select the polygons rather than the plane itself, and it's worked a treat, I now have the finest looking lawn for my scene, which I'll pop on here when I'm done.

Thanks to all 3 of you again, this really has been a voyage of discovery for me and I can't thank you all enough for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2009, 09:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.