PDA

View Full Version : Which Hardware 4 Which Media??

Animechx
08-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I am about to make a major purchase of a pc laptop, and I need to know something -

Is it prefered that you use certain laptops for certain media?:banghead:

For instance, do the pros use a different computer to do Animations? While they use an entirely different computer to do Video Editing & Productions?

I want to purchase a good laptop where I can use all my 3D Animation & Production software (would like blu-ray stuff too...) all on the same laptop. Any recommendations?

Thx

Remoth
08-12-2009, 05:36 AM
I believe that this belongs in the Technical & hardware section....

EDIT: HAHA this was moved as I was typing my reply... Great Job Mods!

But to answer your question, yes different divisions of production use different hardware. An animator does not need a Dual Quad Xeon workstation. Just a basic workstation for animating. The lighting/VFX/Compositing departments need powerful computers so they arent sitting around all day waiting for one render to complete. Simulations need all the CPU power/ram they can get. Modelling doesn't need much for resources, mostly a good graphics card for high poly counts if need be, but unless you are in the millions, a normal dual core machine will work wonders for a modeller.

I'm not a fan of using a laptop for all of your work. You really limit yourself that way. If you really want a laptop, I would suggest buying a good desktop and then getting a gaming laptop. If you want what I think you want, you are looking for a desktop replacement laptop. You can get these as quad cores, and I've even seen some i7 laptops. These are in no way cheap, some costing around $4000 US. i would suggest spending $1500 (assuming you dont have any PC parts already) or so on a good i7 Desktop and then spending around $1200-1500 on a good gaming laptop. you might save some money and get a lot more out of it. Use the laptop for modeling/animating/texturing, and use the desktop for heavy stuff like rendering, compositing, simulations.

In the end, its up to you.... but this is what I would suggest.

imashination
08-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I am about to make a major purchase of a pc laptop, and I need to know something -

Is it prefered that you use certain laptops for certain media?:banghead:

For instance, do the pros use a different computer to do Animations? While they use an entirely different computer to do Video Editing & Productions?

I want to purchase a good laptop where I can use all my 3D Animation & Production software (would like blu-ray stuff too...) all on the same laptop. Any recommendations?

Thx

If you were in a large company and you had a specific job then your machine might be more taylored to your use, but if youre asking if one person would have multiple machines for different tasks, then no, a computer is a computer.

Different tasks have different needs, so long as your computer has the bit it needs then it will work, you dotn need seperate machines with each item.

eg. video editing will ideally want a few harddrives strapped together in a raid. Getting everything you want in a laptop will make it expensive and heavy, do you actually need a laptop?

Animechx
08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I believe that this belongs in the Technical & hardware section....

EDIT: HAHA this was moved as I was typing my reply... Great Job Mods!

But to answer your question, yes different divisions of production use different hardware. An animator does not need a Dual Quad Xeon workstation. Just a basic workstation for animating. The lighting/VFX/Compositing departments need powerful computers so they arent sitting around all day waiting for one render to complete. Simulations need all the CPU power/ram they can get. Modelling doesn't need much for resources, mostly a good graphics card for high poly counts if need be, but unless you are in the millions, a normal dual core machine will work wonders for a modeller.

I'm not a fan of using a laptop for all of your work. You really limit yourself that way. If you really want a laptop, I would suggest buying a good desktop and then getting a gaming laptop. If you want what I think you want, you are looking for a desktop replacement laptop. You can get these as quad cores, and I've even seen some i7 laptops. These are in no way cheap, some costing around $4000 US. i would suggest spending $1500 (assuming you dont have any PC parts already) or so on a good i7 Desktop and then spending around $1200-1500 on a good gaming laptop. you might save some money and get a lot more out of it. Use the laptop for modeling/animating/texturing, and use the desktop for heavy stuff like rendering, compositing, simulations.

In the end, its up to you.... but this is what I would suggest.

I guess I really should have considered this a technical question-! my bad. grow & learn...:blush:

Remoth, i thank you very much for your suggestions. i was considering just that - getting a decent Desktop for Rendering, etc., & perhaps just a good graphics heavy laptop to work with in 3D! i was trying to get an 'All-N-One' deal to try & save money. but it seems good choices are better than good intentions here. i really appreciate the direction, and your suggestions make a lot of sense to me!:bowdown: i think i can find a fairly good DT for under $500 (i already have a 17" LCD & assessories) & i think i've found a really good HP or Alienware laptop i may choose from. again, thanks for the words.

Animechx
08-12-2009, 09:21 PM
If you were in a large company and you had a specific job then your machine might be more taylored to your use, but if youre asking if one person would have multiple machines for different tasks, then no, a computer is a computer.
ok. sounds practical. a few Meetings with Pixar, ILM & DreamWorks Reps did point those facts out. good reminder, imashination.

Different tasks have different needs, so long as your computer has the bit it needs then it will work, you dotn need seperate machines with each item.
.....go ooonnnnnn... *listening intently*

eg. video editing will ideally want a few harddrives strapped together in a raid.
Inquiry - What is a Raid??

Getting everything you want in a laptop will make it expensive and heavy, do you actually need a laptop?
i want a mobile unit, yes, but not necessarily an absolute requirement if it will be something of a burden financially & in practical terms. Remoth aforementioned recommendation of balancing the two needs with two units, thus leveling off some cost, is pretty good. but you have also made me realize that what i was asking for was a bit much. i thank you for your input.

imashination
08-12-2009, 10:14 PM
i want a mobile unit, yes, but not necessarily an absolute requirement if it will be something of a burden financially & in practical terms. Remoth aforementioned recommendation of balancing the two needs with two units, thus leveling off some cost, is pretty good. but you have also made me realize that what i was asking for was a bit much. i thank you for your input.

Buying two computers wont in any circumstance be cheaper.

I think if youre asking what a raid is, you need to go do some more general research first.

olson
08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
If the mobility is not an absolute necessity then don't get a laptop. If you want a laptop for email and things then get a netbook and use a workstation or desktop for CG work instead of trying to both with one system. Cheers!

Animechx
08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Buying two computers wont in any circumstance be cheaper.

I think if youre asking what a raid is, you need to go do some more general research first.

thing is, I have a MAC, & most of my 3D software is PC-based; it came as a pak with the main one (Maya 2009 Unlimited) for my MAC only; i was unaware of the additional programs that came with it, like Mudbox and such. i also just won as a gift, Softimage 7.5 for free recently, which is also PC-based. i have other things too. just circumstances that adds to my wish for a PC-laptop, while keeping my MBPro for other fav tasks.

funny thing is, i may not know the technical wits per name of a thiing, like a RAID, but i probably know what it is in use & practice; i have a gift of missing such details while having an entire portrait. still, i will do the research.

thanks

Animechx
08-12-2009, 10:59 PM
If the mobility is not an absolute necessity then don't get a laptop. If you want a laptop for email and things then get a netbook and use a workstation or desktop for CG work instead of trying to both with one system. Cheers!

hmmmm. i will take that under advisement, olson. thank you very much.

imashination
08-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Well tell us in a bit more detail what you want to do, what software you use, what resolutions you work with etc and we'll tell you what you need.

And yes, unless you really need it to be mobile, dont buy a laptop. Theyre expensive, very limited in upgrades, they dont like being left to render for weeks on end, small keyboards etc.

Animechx
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Well tell us in a bit more detail what you want to do, what software you use, what resolutions you work with etc and we'll tell you what you need.

And yes, unless you really need it to be mobile, dont buy a laptop. Theyre expensive, very limited in upgrades, they dont like being left to render for weeks on end, small keyboards etc.

what i am really wanting to do is make a Demo Reel - not only to feature my modeling skills, but also with a musical animated Short at the end (take selected music, put it to animation [or vice versa]; almost a music vid) to have as an extra feature; i could also put it before Faculty, family, friends & Groups to show that all this effort & sacrifice has not been for nothing.:thumbsup: i have the music & the storyboards, i just have to put it together for next year. i would like for it to be formatted for wide-screen HD viewing & high res screens, like 1280 x 1024 & higher...

the mobility & blu-ray would be icing on the cake for me personally, i suppose; while in Class, the Instructor is always using a PC laptop instead of a MAC, and when probs come along for me they are hard-pressed for answers because of the different formats, which has contributed to many frustrated Projects made more complicted for me. :banghead: just trying to make things even all around....
bad reason to get a PC laptop?:blush:

aglick
08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
general rules for modern motion graphics workstations for working professional artists:

-if you need to do a lot of rendering and dont have access to a renderfarm, get dual-quad CPUs (or carefully OC' an i7). They will pay for themselves.

-if you need to do any editing or VFX compositing with uncompressed HD (or higher resolution) frames, then be sure you have AT LEAST 3 sata drives in a RAID0 or RAID5 disc stripe. (If you are woking with compressed media, then a single drive or two may provide adequate bandwidth to maintain decent interactivity)

-ALWAYS buy the most recent computer (or components) you think you can afford. Saving a few bucks by buying outdated (or nearly outdated) hardware is almost never the wisest choice if you want you system to last you a while.

-ALWAYS go with a 64bit OS and AT LEAST 6GB of RAM -and use 64bit apps whenever possible.

-AND ALWAYS learn how to construct your scenes as efficiently as possible. "Fake" the effect whenever you can get away with it and be smart about how much resolution or "quality" you really need to dial into your scenes and settings.

Improperly constructed scenes, sloppy design methodologies and inefficient software settings/setup can bring even the fastest computer needlessly to a crawl.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.