PDA

View Full Version : CryEngine 3 info and footage from SIGGRAPH 2009

-SD-
08-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Original article on Crytek's presentations page: Kaplanyan, A.: Light Propagation Volumes in CryEngine 3 (http://www.crytek.com/technology/presentations/)

This is a SIGGRAPH 2009 talk from "Advanced Real-time Rendering Course" about new ligting technique in CryEngine 3. The new technique called "Light Propagation Volumes" is used for Global Illumination and Massive Lighting, which significantly improves the lighting quality. The concept and its implementation are explained in the paper. Slides from the talk with talk notes as well as the video are provided.
News story with embedded videos and screens extracted from the paper and the slides:

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=812&Itemid=1

Real-time Global Illumination on CryEngine 3
http://www.incrysis.com/images/stories/other/cryengine3_siggraph_2009_01.jpg

Skamierski
08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
it was about time for that

the new unreal engine uses Gi too,,but as far as i know its baked in the uengine

let s take this a step further,, gi with 2 or 3 bounces :D

nice work Crytek :cool:

warpy
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
awesome stuff.

JML
08-11-2009, 05:42 PM
They need to make a cry renderer for max now, That will kill VrayRT :)

z3phon
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
That would be awesome! :D

robodesign
08-11-2009, 06:13 PM
VrayRT is something else and I believe they can't be compared. Given the purpose of CG community, VrayRT is much more better than CryEngine 3. One should be very careful when reading Crytek pages: they don't use terms as global illumination and such. They call it Light Propagation Volumes.

Besides this, VrayRT handles blurry reflections and refractions, area lights, physical sky and real G.I. I doubt CryEngine 3 handles all these.

Anyways, back to the topic: lovely to see games going more advanced ;). I always look forward to see photorealism in games.

mustique
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Wondering what Cryengine 3's sandbox editor will look like.
I picked up the limited edition of Unreal, just for the 20 hours long video training of UnrealEd
and it was well worth it.

Hopefully Crytek will someday publish something similar to make the sandbox editor more popular for the mod community. Or maybe eat3D like companies come up with decent training material.

JML
08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
robodesign, of course it's not a competitor for VrayRT or other high-end renderers.

Although some crysis 1 screenshot looks the same or better than those rendered
on high-end renderers for 40 minutes.
And if they can do that 120f/secs with a 1.5million scene, imagine what it could do
in 1 second or 5 minutes if they wanted to.

-SD-
08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Although some crysis 2 screenshot looks the same or better than those rendered
on high-end renderers for 40 minutes.
Except for the fact that no Crysis 2 screenshots have been released yet :)

BColbourn
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
thats pretty gosh darn impressive

DrBalthar
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Hmm that cornell box scene looks really wrong there are no soft shadows coming from the GI for example. So that looks more like a reflective shadow map approach. Looks worse than imperfect shadow maps. (Which would probably be inveasible in a game context where you need to hit 50fps anyway).

JML
08-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Except for the fact that no Crysis 2 screenshots have been released yet :)

I meant cryengine 2 or crysis 1 or crysis warhead

JML
08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Hmm that cornell box scene looks really wrong there are no soft shadows coming from the GI for example. So that looks more like a reflective shadow map approach. Looks worse than imperfect shadow maps. (Which would probably be inveasible in a game context where you need to hit 50fps anyway).

Yes, it's best with exteriors where the GI does not need to be as precise.
It's just rough GI and the occlusion on top of it. but with textures on, it looks great I think.
it's not for clean interiors though.

CHRiTTeR
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM

That would be in no way kill vrayRT, because vrayRT gives results that look the same as the production/final render will spit out, which is far from the case with the cryengine.

The realtime GI from the cryengine3 looks cool but it clearly still has this 'gaming' quality to it.
It is in no way an accurate GI solution.

Comparing something like vrayRT with this is (for now) kind of pointless.
Both are great at what they were designed for but computers still arent powerfull enoug to let cryengine handle heavy production scenes with tons of reflections etc or let vrayRT handle the visuals of a game at +30fps

JML
08-11-2009, 08:06 PM
sigh, I was joking when I wrote that.

read the other posts !

Shletten
08-11-2009, 10:07 PM
You got to love Crytek! I do, they did exactly what I wanted a developper to do, add realtime ''GI'' in-game. Frankly, it's almost the most noticeable thing that CE2 lacked.

Darknon
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I just want to see it working in a game. I can't really care about all that commercial talk.

Skamierski
08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
every drop of tech crytek has shown in the last past 2 years was implementated in games, so lets just wait for the next game

grafikimon
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Games rendering engines are growing up. Hell I remember the hard time they had with just real time lighting. Now its common. GI is just on the edge of leaving those early stages.

This was really impressive. Love to see what they do with it.

Jay

mister3d
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Games rendering engines are growing up. Hell I remember the hard time they had with just real time lighting. Now its common. GI is just on the edge of leaving those early stages.

This was really impressive. Love to see what they do with it.

Jay

Yeah, the Splinter cell with reytraced shadows looked unbeliebable. Now it's GI. :)

cheebamonkey
08-13-2009, 09:57 PM
wooooo cornel box... woooo fly throughs of buildings with columns *finger twirl* They're not showing off the new engine unless they're showing guns, explosions and blood! BRING IT CRYTEK!

eek
08-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Besides this, VrayRT handles blurry reflections

Crytek does too..

http://www.incrysis.com/images/stories/other/cryengine3_siggraph_2009_06c.jpg

Stinkfist
08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
The X-Ray engine used in S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl also supports GI, and thats from 2007. I suspect CryEngine will do it better though.

CHRiTTeR
08-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Crytek does too..

http://www.incrysis.com/images/stories/other/cryengine3_siggraph_2009_06c.jpg
Hmm, blurred reflections on flat surfaces arent that impressive to be honnest.

Now throw a more complex object in there, like a torus knot, with correct blurry reflections (with a quality close to raytraced ones) and i'll be impressed.

Do those reflections behave like real reflections (more blurry as distance increases)?

Swahn
08-14-2009, 02:04 PM
The X-Ray engine used in S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl also supports GI, and thats from 2007. I suspect CryEngine will do it better though.

Yeah, some form off GI is in there, disabled as default though. Even on a fast computers it's very demanding and doesn't look good, flickers and stuff. But there is a third party rendering application that can overlay a pass SSAO/colour bleeding effect as well as some other things to the X-Ray engine. It's called ENB Series and there are enhancers for other games as well. Some works smooths and others still need alot of tweaking before blending into the game unoticed.

eek
08-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Hmm, blurred reflections on flat surfaces arent that impressive to be honnest.

Now throw a more complex object in there, like a torus knot, with correct blurry reflections (with a quality close to raytraced ones) and i'll be impressed.

Do those reflections behave like real reflections (more blurry as distance increases)?

Im not sure

TheANIMAL
08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Blurry reflections in CE3 are very, very approximate. They do give a good effect though.

Skamierski
08-23-2009, 07:58 PM
sure that stalker had realtime gi thats not baked?
because the cry tech demo doesnt show baked gi, but real time computed
i dont care if the blurry reflect is correct, as long u get the right feeling they may fake as much effects as they love

thank to turtle many games like mirrors edge used baked GI

CrazyMatt
08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Everything in Stalker is pre-bake rendered out of X-Ray upon finishing any level. Before properly loaded up ingame.

Which their compiling system tools were the reason the community couldn't pump out any content.

CHRiTTeR
08-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Everything in Stalker is pre-bake rendered out of X-Ray upon finishing any level. Before properly loaded up ingame.

Which their compiling system tools were the reason the community couldn't pump out any content.

I seem to remember you could enable real time GI in it by typing a command in the console (it was off by default), but it was verry flickery.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2009, 11:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.