PDA

View Full Version : Displacement map border artifacts

Knotter8
08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

I'm fairly newbie to Zbrush but sculpting is going well. However, I've got a border issue in
the final displacement map.

I'm using ZB3.1 to Maya 8.5. UV's are within 0 - 1. UVcheck shows no error. Problem occurs
both using the 16bit Disp map exporter as well as the MD3 exporter. I've already tried moving
the UV shells a bit and lowering the Border setting in the MD3 exporter to 0 ; all to no succes.

Here's the pics to illustrate the problem. Anyone plse have a possible solution ? :

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc167/knotje/Rough_Edges_04.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc167/knotje/Rough_Edges_02.jpg

wwswimming
08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Here's the pics to illustrate the problem. Anyone plse have a possible solution ?

i haven't found a ZBrush config. setting that fixes it. painting the edges of the disp. map in Photoshop, using a neutral gray, is the only reliable thing i've found so far.

Knotter8
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
i haven't found a ZBrush config. setting that fixes it. painting the edges of the disp. map in Photoshop, using a neutral gray, is the only reliable thing i've found so far.
Thanx for the suggestion ; already tried it ; but it means I have to downgrade the displacement map from 16bit ot 32bit to 8 bit, as I only have an old Photoshop version. Besides, it's a a workaround fix which...imho, should be fixable within Zbrush.

Ok, after some more frustration of not being able to solve the problem directly, I - more or less - found the cause of the issue : I was working on
this other skull model which also has slightly sharp bevels, just like the collar
of my model in the startpost : perhaps it has to do with scaling differences, but either way ... Zbrush seems to be very sensitive to that.

So, after a lot of testing ; widening the space between edge loops on that collar ; I have come more or less to a base mesh which doesn't have the
absurdly portruding artifacts.

This does mean though I have to start all over again ; also with skinning, as my start model was skinned already.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

wwswimming
08-14-2009, 09:30 PM
So, after a lot of testing ; widening the space between edge loops on that collar ; I have come more or less to a base mesh which doesn't have the
absurdly portruding artifacts.

This does mean though I have to start all over again ; also with skinning, as my start model was skinned already.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

that sounds really interesting. can you do a screen capture with "frame" on so we can see what mesh produces the artifacts & what mesh doesn't ?

i had accepted this aspect of ZBrush as ... well ... sort of like Cindy Crawford's mole.

there's one configuration table with a whole bunch of settings for a displacement map. is there a setting that will fix it ?

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2009, 09:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.