PDA

View Full Version : perspective problem

alpha
05-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Hi
This is more of a traditional art question, but here goes -

For some of the perspective drawings I have been working on I need to place the vanishing points more than one metre from my page. This is a real problem as my rulers are not long enough and it makes drawing difficult. Is there a way to overcome this, but still be precise?

I hope this question makes sense.
Thanks.

jeroentje
05-13-2002, 02:32 PM
1. Draw a grid first and lay that one under your actual sketching paper so, taht you can see through.

2. If you want to use the vanashing points anyway, push a pin with a piece of string attached into your vanashing point.

3. Draw everything from hand without using rulers, and just imagine all the vanashingpoints in your head.

Maybe nr 3 sounds insane to you, but once you have good insight in perspective, it's the most practical and fastest way.

Good luck, jeroentje

alchoi
05-13-2002, 04:06 PM
Before I started to visualize the stuff a bit better ... what I'd do is thumbnail out my perspective at half the size, so the vanishing points would fit on the page ....

Do your thumbnail really quick ...

Then blow it up via scanner or photocopier and then draw crop marks of where your actual composition is on the page ...

And I agree with jeroentje .... turf the rulers and get used to whipping off perspective guidlines by hand ...

You won't regret it ...

Cheers

Gilgamesh
05-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Well, at the risk of sounding American, just buy a bigger one.

jeroentje
05-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Gilgamesh
Well, at the risk of sounding American, just buy a bigger one.

LOL :)

alpha
05-14-2002, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm practicing now
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.