PDA

View Full Version : Need more information about Lighting and Rendering!

sweetdevil142
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I have no information about this field at all. I just tried to do it for fun while i was modeling a scene. We haven't been taught much about the lighting part in our institute yet. So i have no knowledge about what all it includes. I guess it is a separate field of specialization but i am confused because i hardly find any one talking about it.

I really want to learn about it because i really enjoy it, and i cant wait to be taught about it at the institute. I love it so much sometimes i leave the actual assignment in the middle (i don't know how this sounds.. http://www.cgtantra.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif ).

I want to know more about this field and also want to know where i can get tutorials to learn the basics.

mister3d
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
What software are you using?

sweetdevil142
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
i m using maya.

mister3d
08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
i m using maya.

Hi, Learn Mental ray, buy some gnomonworkshop videos about mental ray and read the manual. Buy Jeremy Birn's book "Lighting and rendering" and maybe "Matters of light and depth".

bezzeler2000
08-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I have no information about this field at all. I just tried to do it for fun while i was modeling a scene. We haven't been taught much about the lighting part in our institute yet. So i have no knowledge about what all it includes. I guess it is a separate field of specialization but i am confused because i hardly find any one talking about it.

I really want to learn about it because i really enjoy it, and i cant wait to be taught about it at the institute. I love it so much sometimes i leave the actual assignment in the middle (i don't know how this sounds.. http://www.cgtantra.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif ).

I want to know more about this field and also want to know where i can get tutorials to learn the basics.

Start here:

www.3drender.com

sweetdevil142
08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi, Learn Mental ray, buy some gnomonworkshop videos about mental ray and read the manual. Buy Jeremy Birn's book "Lighting and rendering" and maybe "Matters of light and depth".

thanks for telling me about the book. I'll surely read it. :)

sundialsvc4
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Also get a copy of Ansel Adams' definitive works on large-format photography. (He's the inventor of the "Zone System.")

You see, when you "light a scene," whether you're doing it in the real world or in the computer, you've got to think very carefully about the mediums that you are using. You've got to consider the physical characteristics of film (maybe...), of computer video screens, of various printing processes (maybe...), and even the crappiest cheapest analog TV set that your paying-customer might have in his double-wide trailer in the middle of god-knows-where. :rolleyes:

Our eyes are wondrous things than can see more than 22 f-stops worth of detail from bright to dark. Any sort of physical medium you can think of can manage, say, five or six.

You need to think about the fact that the border of the web-page you're right now looking at looks "solid black," even though if you turned-off the monitor right now (go ahead, try it...) the screen would look dull gray. (How can what is quite obviously a gray object look black? You need to know why.)

Lighting, in whatever medium, is the magical and very-difficult art of making an image on the screen look like "what's in the viewer's mind's-eye." And, perhaps, of making an image that can actually be printed ... on paper, on film, on video, or all-of-the-above. An image that "looks right," which means that you need to know why an image "looks wrong, when you can't quite put your finger on it..."

Yes, you can learn a lot from "bellows jockeys."

sweetdevil142
08-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Thank you for telling me about this. I know, this important as had such problems while lighting a scene!!:banghead:

pankajkaintura43
08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Well Yes shalini, this is different field & really a most creative field.............Lighting is not only about illuminating a scene..........infact lighting is the thing which brings emotions & passion to to a scene...........So, if you want to learn about lighting, first of you shld learn about the basics of lighting & colours.............just learning how to use & place the lights in a software is not going to help you.............to be a good lighting artist firstly you have to understand the concepts of lighting.............I hope this liitle post of mine has somewhat helped u..........as mister3d suggested go for those stuffs they will really gonna help u a lot.

sweetdevil142
08-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Well Yes shalini, this is different field & really a most creative field.............Lighting is not only about illuminating a scene..........infact lighting is the thing which brings emotions & passion to to a scene...........So, if you want to learn about lighting, first of you shld learn about the basics of lighting & colours.............just learning how to use & place the lights in a software is not going to help you.............to be a good lighting artist firstly you have to understand the concepts of lighting.............I hope this liitle post of mine has somewhat helped u..........as mister3d suggested go for those stuffs they will really gonna help u a lot.

infact lighting is the thing which brings emotions & passion to to a scene
i guess that is what attracts me to this field. Even with so little effort the scene looks so much better than just a model. It makes me feel good to see the difference i can make if i perfect this art. :)

mister3d
08-15-2009, 05:38 PM
infact lighting is the thing which brings emotions & passion to to a scene
i guess that is what attracts me to this field.

If so, you will definitely enjoy the learning. I suggest you trying the lighting challenges http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185

TBart
08-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Jeremy Birn's book is great, as is the DVD Practical Light and Color by Jeremy Vickery. Lighting is a very fun area, and studying painting will also be invaluable.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2009, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.