PDA

View Full Version : The Foundry - Rolling Shutter plugin

biliousfrog
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
RollingShutter is a brand new plug-in tool for After Effects and Nuke which tackles image-distortion problems often experienced by users of CMOS cameras.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/pkg_overview.aspx?ui=47C4AB50-4636-4326-87D1-FB380B2119EF

$500 seems a bit steep but when you consider the cost of a RED I guess it's a small price to pay.

flipnap
08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
am i completely crazy and uninformed about these matters, cuz i thought this type of distortion was from lack of frame buffer? something the red camera should surely be light years ahead of

instinct-vfx
08-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Rolling Shutter is commonly used in most (all ?) CMOS Cameras. and the RED is a CMOS camera and no exception.

The plugin does a pretty damn impressive Job too!

Regards,
Thorsten

Stimpy
08-10-2009, 04:38 PM
http://vimeo.com/4041788

flipnap
08-10-2009, 05:02 PM
ahh stimpy, thanks for the video.. so im used to seeing this effect only in the more prononced stage on cheap small sensors (ie, the waving flag syndrome) on the entire picture when the camera moves.. i guess i never saw it at that level. wow i never wouldve guessed that effect was completely due to cmos. i need to do my homework here jeez. I dont understand why a camera as expensive as a red wouldnt employ a 3ccd sensor then.. i dunno, i dont wanna hijack the thread becase getting back to it, now that i understand, that is a VERY cool filter.. but oddly it seems our technology should be enough where we dont suffer that problem in the first place (hey, how bout put the filter 'in camera'-i smell a partnership)

beaker
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Red's rolling shutter is very subtle, especially compared to examples from dslr camera jello.

instinct-vfx
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Red's rolling shutter is very subtle, especially compared to examples from dslr camera jello.

Visually yes. When Matchmoving and comparing before/after with the plugin it gets pretty noticable.

Regards,
Thorsten

biliousfrog
08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Visually yes. When Matchmoving and comparing before/after with the plugin it gets pretty noticable.

Regards,
Thorsten

That's the big issue. I've got a 500d, which is an amazing video camera despite being just a gimmick slapped on a DSLR, but it isn't until you try tracking footage that you hit a major roadblock.

There is a free alternative in the form of 'deshaker' for virtualdub. I've had a quick play with it but I've got a lot of stability issues with it on XP64 and the process of finding a format that vdub can open is proving frustrating to say the least.

berniebernie
08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
http://vimeo.com/4041788

it's not a bug, it's a feature !

Quite impressive video, and nice plugin.

How does it fare when vertical objects (pillars etc...) go in and out of the safe frame/image border ?

aglick
08-12-2009, 09:19 PM
That's the big issue. I've got a 500d, which is an amazing video camera despite being just a gimmick slapped on a DSLR, but it isn't until you try tracking footage that you hit a major roadblock.

There is a free alternative in the form of 'deshaker' for virtualdub. I've had a quick play with it but I've got a lot of stability issues with it on XP64 and the process of finding a format that vdub can open is proving frustrating to say the least.

*****edit****sorry for the off-topic posting** I should know better!**

Hey Steve -

I'm considering buying this camera. Do you know if anybody is close to releasing a fix (hack) for achieving 24fps recording ? It's the only thing holding me back at this point....and the Mk II is just way out of my price range...

biliousfrog
08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I heard that a 24fps mode is being tested for the 5d, no word on the 500d though.

Someone is hacking the 5d firmware but hasn't been able to adjust the fps yet, hopefully they can reverse engineer it for the 500d but it seems that it's very much trial and error without any documentation. There are also rumours that Canon are rushing their own firmware updates to prevent hacking but it seems to be just rumours at this point.

This thread might throw some more light: http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2396&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.