PDA

View Full Version : character:jawHead

zeebit
08-02-2003, 11:32 PM
oi.
ihave been running parrallel to those crazy weta guys apparently, and were working on modeling high detail and extracting displacements for said mesh. but i have been using maya's artisan and nurbs.
damn those weta guys for finding a solution with much less overhead. he he
so i am gunna go learn zbrush by tomorrow so i can join the band wagon i was working parallel to.
anyway, this guy has been done for a while, just had to extract the displacement , this is were the overhead came in, so that took a bit...

http://pete.cardboardboxstudios.com/summer2003/jawHead.jpg http://pete.cardboardboxstudios.com/summer2003/jawHeadProcess.jpg

Rivendale
08-03-2003, 12:29 AM
Looks very good, I especially like the neck area. I think you could work more on the displacement of the spine though and maybe add some more definition to the butt:) .

Great work!

shmegegge
08-03-2003, 03:26 PM
that's a really interesting process... Can I ask though, how do you create the map that's shows the difference between the high-detail NURBS model and the low detail subdivision surface?

Aldaryn
08-03-2003, 08:22 PM
The head definately looks really cool, and *lifelike*, but the rest of the body still seems to be just a lower poly model, with displacement. Some more strength on the displacement might be good. But I dunno.

The technique seems to be getting more and more space among other modelling solutions... Dispacement can kick ass, if used properly, like U did it.

Cool.

- A.

lynyrd
08-03-2003, 09:49 PM
really great detail, especially on the head, very cool indeed. I am sure very soon, you will have the phone ringing off the hook in response to your reel. Good luck and keep up the great work.:applause: :applause:

sonicstrawbery
08-03-2003, 11:12 PM
WOW :buttrock: :buttrock:

r2d3
08-03-2003, 11:20 PM
the head looks great but the rest of the body is to squary i think

btw witch software do you use for extracting the normal and displacement map ?

The Magic Pen
08-04-2003, 01:01 AM
awesome !:applause:

Yoshua
08-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Amazing work!

Looking at the screen shots, it seems like your using 3D Studio Max, but I can't be sure.

I really love your technique, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm hoping you used 3D Studio Max so I know it can be done with it. In 3D Studio Max 5 you can render your model to a Texture, so that will give me the displacement map, I think.

So did you model every little detail first, such as all the little lumps on him? or did you use a bump map for them or something?

If you used Max, did you just model the basic geonometry, make a copy of it for later use with displacement map. Then add the mesh smooth modifier and then increase the iterations. Then did you convert it into a mesh? or add a mesh edit modifier? Then did you go crazy with the details?

Then you would render your Model into a texture for the displacement map, you would probably have to setup the UV's first, but I don't know cause I've never used the Render Model to Texture function in Max.

Also when you place the diplacement map on the Basic Model, you have to add a mesh smooth modifier to it and increase the iterations right?

I hope I make sence. :thumbsup:

basselito
08-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Well he said he used Maya's artisan so I think that says he used maya.;)

basselito
08-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Ohh...btw...REALLY cool model!:buttrock:

wahahaha
08-04-2003, 09:43 AM
mmmmmmmmm nice model!! but should have look better if u change the leg design!! not suitable in my opinion!!

:wip: :wip:

Morphecy
08-04-2003, 11:57 AM
neat :D

Yoshua
08-04-2003, 02:01 PM
It's me again. I had a feeling in the back of my mind that he used Maya, I must have read it and then instantly forgot. :shrug:

I read up on Maya's Artisan, and I hear it's like zBrush. So is it now possible to import models into zBrush and add detail and export it again? or export it into a texture for a displacement map? it would be pretty cool if that was possible, I must read more about it. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Kel Solaar
08-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Excellent! :buttrock:

zeebit
08-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Hey,
thanks for the crits and comments everyone.
they will be most helpful in my upcoming modeling attempts.

genesis... make a low rez model in max, export to zbrush, then sculpt the detail, then you have 2 models, a high rez and a low rez. then find a way to get a displacement map from the difference of those 2. i believe ati has a way to do it that you can d/l from their site, but i am not certain. look around, you will find something.

thanks again everyone
-pete

Draco-84
08-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Cool!
Looks like something straight out of Doom III!
Very well done and original! I love the placement of its eyes!
Great Job!

Yoshua
08-07-2003, 02:37 AM
To zeebit

I just got zBrush and I must say it rocks. I imported one of my older, low res models and sculptured away and added so much detail and realism. I was really impressed with zBrush, and it took only a few hours to learn.

I downloaded the ATI Normal Mapper and the UI for Max. Now I'm a tad confused about how to use the Normal map, do I use it as a Displacement Map? (that's what I thought you said) I have not got up to this stage yet, but I should have time to do so tonight.

Not sure how I will go importing my Ultra High Res model into Max to export to a NMF file, hope it don't crash.

Thanks again ^_^

zeebit
08-07-2003, 02:53 AM
good luck, hehe

yeah, i think you wanna use that as a disp map.
is best to render with renderman. Not sure how max's default renderer will do with displacements.
honestly tho, you don't have to set that up unless you plan on animating. And it does help render times in PRman. But it isn't entirely necessary if you are just modeling to model. The important thing is that you /can/ do the displacement technique.

-pete

ElKrullo
08-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Pretty cool!
But I don't like the butt! :P

Lifthz
08-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Nice. Reminds me of Normal Mapping techniques. Well actually, yeah, it's pretty much teh same thing except with Displacement instead.

JZA
08-07-2003, 06:41 AM
Rather than something 'straight out of Doom III', it reminds me of something straight out of Lovecrafts work... great stuff, love the details! Keep it up!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.