PDA

View Full Version : Graduate schools in Computer Science or hybrid CS + Art

gawl126
08-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm looking for graduate schools in Computer Science with a strong emphasis in Computer Graphics. Also hybrid programs that provide the best of both, computer science and art, would be preferred. If anyone has a great listing or can suggest schools, I would really appreciate it. I'm planning to apply for Fall 2010 enrollment. So far my list of schools are comprised of:

UCLA
UCSD
Stanford
University of Utah
Texas A&M
Arizona State
Clemson University
Ohio State

forsakendreams
08-10-2009, 12:24 PM
try:
UCB
RIT
UT A&M
Stanford
Brown

arcoraven
10-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Just following up on this thread. I'm in the same boat as you and will by applying to grad schools in the coming months. I'm aiming for a masters in Computer Science with an emphasis on some kind of art (computer graphics, digital art, interactive media, etc.).

Have you updated your list at all, gawl126? My list looks similar to yours. Some other school's I'm looking at are Carnegie Mellon, Univ of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign, and University of Washington.

forsakendreams
10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
From the original list I know UCLA doesn't offer much in terms of graphics in the computer science department. UCSD offers some but not as much as UC Berkeley does. UCB probably has the strongest and largest graphics area of all the UC's.

From what I've heard both Texas A&M and CMU have fairly good cs graphics programs.

RobertoOrtiz
10-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Look at the program at Carnegie Mellon.

Its is one of the best in the world.

-R

gawl126
10-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Just following up on this thread. I'm in the same boat as you and will by applying to grad schools in the coming months. I'm aiming for a masters in Computer Science with an emphasis on some kind of art (computer graphics, digital art, interactive media, etc.).

Have you updated your list at all, gawl126? My list looks similar to yours. Some other school's I'm looking at are Carnegie Mellon, Univ of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign, and University of Washington.

I did update my list of schools. A bunch of people (students, working professionals, and Professors) from a SIGGRAPH group suggested many different schools. I'll post a list of schools some time today, both CS and interdisciplinary programs. I think I had about 36-40 schools on my list at some point, then chopped it down to 14.

Your list so far is looking nice, I can make a few more suggestions. You should look into some of the following schools:

Computer Science
University of Maryland, College Park
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
University of Southern California
Canadian Schools, http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~van/cangraphics.html
SUNY, Stony Brook
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Georgia Tech

Computer Graphics
Cornell, http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/academic/graduate.html

Hope some of these suggestions help in some way.

Umpalumpa
10-19-2009, 04:21 AM
Figured Ide throw Purdue in there as well, although Ive heard good things about the other schools programs as well.

http://www.tech.purdue.edu/CG/academics/graduate/index.cfm

Hmooboi06
11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm a current NC resident and don't want to attend school out of state due to the tuition they have on out of state student. So I've been looking at NC State for the CS degree program, but I don't know if its a good school to attend. They do have a college of design there where they teach art, which is a plus for me, but as for CS I don't know.

Has anyone attended this school before? If so, it would greatly help my in my decision towards going for my bachelor.

gawl126
11-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm a current NC resident and don't want to attend school out of state due to the tuition they have on out of state student. So I've been looking at NC State for the CS degree program, but I don't know if its a good school to attend. They do have a college of design there where they teach art, which is a plus for me, but as for CS I don't know.

Has anyone attended this school before? If so, it would greatly help my in my decision towards going for my bachelor.

I would go to the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. They're one of the leading schools in computer graphics in computer science.

If you don't have much of a choice, then just attend NC State. They seem to have a good amount of graphics faculty. Although they seem to be limited in types of graphics classes available, but that shouldn't hinder you too much. They also seem to have ties to UNC-CH. If you're just worried about the school in general, I wouldn't worry too much. It is a tier 1 school. It's ranking in CS (grad school anyways) is top 50.

KangtheMad
11-16-2009, 06:12 PM
From what I've heard both Texas A&M and CMU have fairly good cs graphics programs.

FYI just in case, in addition to the computer science program at Texas A&M, there is also the Dept. of Visualization Sciences (http://www-viz.tamu.edu), which produces excellent lighting artists, technical directors, and others. It's an MS program.

gawl126
11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
FYI just in case, in addition to the computer science program at Texas A&M, there is also the Dept. of Visualization Sciences (http://www-viz.tamu.edu), which produces excellent lighting artists, technical directors, and others. It's an MS program.

This is actually the program at the top of my list of programs that I am applying to. Honestly, it is the only program that I want to attend for graduate school. The feedback I have received from their students and industry professionals concerning the program have all been positive. What I love about this school is that they also focus on research. I am actually about to send off my portfolio this week for the program. Here's hoping to being accepted into the program!

AWSUM
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Odd that no one mentioned NYU's ITP program (http://itp.nyu.edu/itp/) , it is a unique program combining technology and design, located in the heart of one of the world's top art & cultural centers. A lot of successful tech entrepreneurs have come out of this program such as the founder of Foursquare, OMGPOP, etc.

I would also recommend USC's Interactive Media and Cinematic Arts program that's where the creator of FlOw (http://jenovachen.com/flowingames/jenovachen.htm) studied.

taxguy
12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, NYU's ITP program does look VERY good...but it is very multimedia and web oriented. It is very coding/development oriented.It really isn't as 3D oriented for computer graphics and movies/ games and many would like. It seems also very programming oriented, if you want that. However , for what it has, it does look good.

By the way, I am NOT knocking this program since folks skilled in development and coding can get a lot of opportunities right now.

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.