PDA

View Full Version : Songs Under The Apple Tree, Enayla (2D)

Enayla
08-02-2003, 09:59 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/45074/songs_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/45074/songs.jpg)

Hey everyone :) I thought that, just maybe, it's time that I join in on this forum :) Some might recognise me from here and there - I'm a little bit all over the place, in fact.

At any rate, this picture is commissioned work, though the only 'guideline' was to draw a fairy. I've had... hell, I suppose, for several days trying to get it right, but finally it clicked :)

More of my images can be found, as always, on furiae.com :)

chot
08-02-2003, 11:19 PM
WOW this is great work!!! how did you get that grass so realistic, and the shadows and everything. realy good work :thumbsup:

phoenix2k
08-02-2003, 11:21 PM
wow!! :eek:

i don't know why noone has replied yet, this is amazing!!!

i also really dig the reflections.

5/5 from me! :thumbsup: :D

the only crit i hvae would be the shadows on the fairy, they dont quite look as "real" as the rest of the image.

Menge
08-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Very good!!!

this is some great work! does this have any matte stuff? or just hand-drawn? either way, impressive!!!

congrats!

Slippery
08-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Amazing work....its ppl like u who give ppl like me complexes :P

The shadows on the fairy seem ok to me....they add a nice touch i think

Anyways really nice work keep it up :beer:

CGmonkey
08-02-2003, 11:46 PM
You're from Sweden, right?

Awesome job, I really admire your skills and this is a really awesome improvement towards ultra-realism! Love it :love:

Goro
08-03-2003, 12:17 AM
My God!! This is really awesome!
It is a digital painting right? What software did you use?
I'm wondering why it isn't plugged yet!

The clothe is really great. I have still a lot to practice....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shaykai
08-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Great piece, love the color scheme. Maybe add some motion blur to the bird?

Shaykai

dimitrios_c
08-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Somebody put this on the front page NOW!!! Pardon my language but this is friggin awesome. Looks so original and on a technical level is fantastic... Now this, is art! :beer: :drool: :applause:

Wolfmoonct
08-03-2003, 08:39 AM
That is some great work. Very cool.

y u s s p
08-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Welcome!
we love ya

Kirt
08-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Linda - I love your illustrations!
Breathtaking beauty in this one - I'm floored!

Not much to critique other than the (already mentioned) shadows on her face and chest. I think they're too sharp and could use a little bit of blurring on the edges.

I'm running off to plug this one on the front page before someone else gets to it ... hehehehe.

the_real_cabal
08-03-2003, 09:21 AM
Wow, this is beautyful :applause: It's a breath-taking picture with a warm atmosphere....

greetings Cabal

Twincruiser
08-03-2003, 09:25 AM
One word comes into mind in your work: BEAUTY

Truly inspirational work...and congratz on winning the Exposé Grand Master Award.

mv
08-03-2003, 09:30 AM
:applause:
magnificent.

(I love your work)
just one question : how much reference is involved in your creation process? do you use photos/models or do you get all this directly out of your brain?

thanks

kiaran
08-03-2003, 09:41 AM
This reminds me of a painting in my late grandmothers home. Simply, beautifull. I love the impressionistic background contrasting with the clean, soft figure.

Is it wrong to want to visit this place and give that fairy a kiss?

... hmmm I may have drank too much.

Trurl
08-03-2003, 10:00 AM
It is amazing work! ar:eek:

Congrats!

FranckSitbon
08-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Really splendid
I believed that it was a photography, it is so realistic.
Cheer

John Keates
08-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Oh my good god! I have seen some pretty amazing stuff on this forum but nothing that looks so... so damn beautiful.

I love the way that it has such a natural look. It is like something between a watercolour and oil painting.

Please tell us how you did it.

ZVAN
08-03-2003, 10:38 AM
............. :thumbsup:

spm
08-03-2003, 10:39 AM
underbart att se sann talang komma från sverige och för en gång skull från en tjej som håller på med digital grafik!

Rotamus
08-03-2003, 11:05 AM
wow very very nice ... i love the cloth .. and the whole image is truly wonderful :applause:

Levitateme
08-03-2003, 11:15 AM
so much of that is photoreal looking. its amazing .

shuwan
08-03-2003, 11:21 AM
wow!! It's great work. You paint this in Photoshop or Painter???
It's looks real. Nice colour and feel.

Fitharn
08-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Is that website down? I can't seem to view the image nor the furiae.com :(

spm
08-03-2003, 11:41 AM
it actually looks like you used a photo for some parts of the pic and hand painted others.

ShinChanPu
08-03-2003, 12:07 PM
I have no doubt: this is a MASTERPIECE!!!!:eek:
Everything in this picture is plenty of love and tenderness. Colour, composition, posing, surface treatments, small details... are not only talking about your impressive skills but your sensitivity to art and your strong classic painting knowledge (very unusual in this forums, by the way).
I can´t stop wondering how this piece would look, painted with oil on canvas and hung from a great museum´s walls....

Go on this way, Linda. We love & need you.

Nighthawk
08-03-2003, 12:10 PM
:eek: :eek:
Omg thats awesome!!!

olijosman
08-03-2003, 12:19 PM
precious! wreat work!:thumbsup: :applause:

Fitharn
08-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Argh someone please post a mirror, I wanna see this piece of art :)

Hydra
08-03-2003, 12:38 PM
for us who can't see the pic in the original post here's a mirror (I think, I still don't know what it should look like, but i guess its this image judging by the thumb :) )

http://images.gfxartist.com/images/EliteGalleryItem/full/26499.jpg

behzad
08-03-2003, 01:05 PM
I wish there was a section when the artists post their work that described what media they used. Please tell us is this done on canvas or painted using a digital paint program?

Enayla
08-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Oi, oh dear, thank you so much, everyone :}

Answering a few questions about the painting:
As with nearly all of my work, this is part Painter 7, and part Photoshop 7. There are some things I can't seem to be able to paint in one program, and some I can't paint in the other, so I always find myself shifting. The resolution is pretty big - if you check the eye I attached, then you'll see how big the image actually is :)

The grass, is painted partly by using a small brush set on opacity - part by opening another document and painting strands of grass using the marquee tool and a brush, and then shrinking them to size - it was quite the task.

I have used a model for this one - my good friend Ulrika who posed for the pictures right outside my flat, with a playground in the background. She's asked me not to display the photos online so I won't - but I might as well say that the foot is pretty highly referenced because I suck at painting feet and the main reason I took references at all was to learn the feet thing, whereas her face isn't referenced at all, and her body is partly referenced. It varies throughout the image :)

Lessee... were there any more questions? I'll try to soften the shadow of the leaves, I promise I will :) Tonight sometime when I'm feeling a little better, if I have the time :) I'm sorry about my host being stubborn and the picture not showing for everyone - and thank you so much for mirroring it (mwah to you!).

And, yes - I'm from Sweden. I'm a girl. I turn 26 the fifth of September so send me a birthday card ;D (just kidding).

Linda.

Ac0rN
08-03-2003, 01:44 PM
*cant se image* :cry:

Enayla
08-03-2003, 01:55 PM
http://www.gfxartist.com/community/elite_gallery/26499 (at gfxartist)

Okay - if you're having problems seeing it, go there. I'm afraid I only have one host and it doesn't seem to work for everyone, arr :/

AndersEgleus
08-03-2003, 02:05 PM
I've browsed through your gallery before, and I must say that this is one of your best work. You've truly outdone yourself, and most other digital painters too for that matter.

You've really nailed that archetypical fairy tale look that gives the viewer the sense of being inside, but at the same time looking at something completely detatched from this world. It's hard to describe, but there is the feeling that "this is what fairy tales look like, I just didn't realise until I saw this".

You've even got that Arwen serenity in the fairy (or maybe your friend/model simply looks like Liv Tyler :) ).

Typically enough, the one thing I was gonna crit was the sharp shadows from the leaves on her skin, but someone has already pointed that out.

Just curious about one thing: does it help to live in Norrland when painting these kinds of subjects? I mean, given the amazing outdoors you have up there?

Good luck finishing it.

|edit| PS. By the way, the image was a great way to cure my sunday hangover :) |/edit|

tauism
08-03-2003, 02:25 PM
she looks a little bit like liv tyler!

paintbox
08-03-2003, 02:26 PM
This is one of these pictures which tell more than a 1000 words ever can.

Fitharn
08-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Finally saw it... what can I say.. absolutely gorgeous. All the detail is very impressive and the foreground is almost a photo. There are lots of parts which I can distinguish (sp?) from a real picture... oh and I love the colors too.

:eek: :love:

starqueen
08-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Wow.

:beer: the drinks are on me!!! ;)

Enayla
08-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Aw, thanks :D I'm glad to hear the colours are appreciated, too - it's funny, because though I was feeling very pleased about the colours, I've received several comments strongly disliking them. I was aiming for a late summer kind of colour scheme - before the autumn really hits full on, but after the strong green overlay of vegetation has slowly started to turn yellow.

She's also wearing apple blossoms in her hair - a small detail I'm pretty happy with :) I thank my friend Kristoffer for that idea.

Anders -- thanks for your thoughtful comment :) I will try to fix the shadows on her. As for living in Norrland... oh yes, it helps. The image I did before this one (called "do not whisper into the wind") had a background I later realised was really similar to the hills right nearby my parents' house outside a small town a little further into Sweden. I hadn't even known I was painting that, when I painted it, but when I went there last weekend I recognised it immediately :) It's great how the mind works like that. Very tricky.

This background is mostly inspired by a place I used to go to when I was little. It was right next to a lake and had birches and other trees spilling their leaves just like this, across the water... with a calm, placid reflection just like a mirror. I miss that place.

And I prattle too much, again. Pardon me.

souleage
08-03-2003, 03:30 PM
WoW. Very Nice work !! nice Songs under the apple tree:beer:

Kel Solaar
08-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Impressive work! :buttrock:

mv
08-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Enayla
I have used a model for this one (...) I might as well say that the foot is pretty highly referenced

Ah I was wondering. That foot looks utterly awesome. The detail that made me think you used a model.

After having looked at your site, I can say that among plenty beautiful pictures this is one of the best.

I also agree that the colour scheme is totally magical and also tickles my childhood memories.

Blackhorse
08-03-2003, 03:57 PM
em, cool!
"L"constrution, blue & orange contrast, the beautiful background, and the quiet character with two motion birds. yes! how nice the composition.

I like!:blush:

DigitalOmega
08-03-2003, 04:46 PM
this is an awesome work! i am very impressed, when i saw your picture i felt like if i was watching an oil painting from the XIX century, do you know william bouguereau? its a french painter, one of the best artist of all time (but unfortunately he is unknown for the most of people) i think that you have his touch, i really want to see your work in a few years! because for me you can have the touch of the old masters! congratulations!.

jacky liu
08-03-2003, 04:46 PM
:drool: :drool:

Very Nice work !! I like ~ the drinks are on me:beer: :eek:

ZrO-1
08-03-2003, 05:08 PM
This picture is so good in so many ways it makes me want to cry (and I'm a tough-a$$ New Yorker :p ). This image is one of those perfect pieces of art that totally trancend the medium they were created in.

Bravo Enayla, bravo

Hopefully you'll be back in here before the 5th of September, but if you're not; happy birthday (mine's the 10th :) ). You deserve a great big, best-ever, birthday present after your great work on this piece.

ceql
08-03-2003, 05:18 PM
:drool: :drool: :applause:
Wow, wow, Awesome!!!!!!

(I wish I had something constructive to say, but I'm in too much awe :p)

RenierBanninga
08-03-2003, 05:20 PM
I love forest backdrop. realy feels like winter is around the corner in that one.

Anthony
08-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Definately my favorite of the ones I've seen you do. Great work kid!

SDIT
08-03-2003, 07:12 PM
beautiful work.

wahahaha
08-03-2003, 07:38 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: great drawing...................too good to be critiqued

Nemoid
08-03-2003, 08:09 PM
very good good work!drawing is excellent the pose is really awesome, and the environment looks very good.& accurate
I like the birds very much ! good that u got inspired from classics (insome way it reminds me
Le dejeuner sur l'herbe)
maybe you'd arrive to the status of a classic if you made the athmosphere more based on light,
like in Impressionism works (Monet kinda light expecially)

but since this can depend also from your committers, GREAT work indeed.

P:S: checking to see more in your website!! :D

mehdianim
08-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Beautiful image. Of course no comment on your technical skills...

Ultragames
08-03-2003, 09:03 PM
HOT DAMN THAT IS SWEET! Thanks for the new wallpaper. And you have AMAZING talent!

boomji
08-03-2003, 09:57 PM
hi,
1.youve nailed the skin/flesh on her feet...havent seen a better rendition of flesh/skin anywhere...on the feet that is.

2.The environment seams a bit encroaching...for lack of a better word, this along with the color scheme suffocates me a little.

3.Her hand(next to the wing) looks undetailed from the forearm down...and her wrist looks a little thick(not my impression of a gentel butterfly lady of the woods ;)).

4.The pond seams unpreturbed...movement within stilness is what i'd prefer...but you've conveyed that with the birds.

FYI...i cant draw a straight line.But i love landscapes and environments...wish i was as seren'dipitous as the lady :)

ace work.

b

cupcake
08-03-2003, 10:39 PM
VG!!!:applause:

Check out my thread.:wavey:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77444

symantix
08-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Really great work, Linda! I've seen your work around quite a bit, and I checked out your web page...you have some incredible talent.

I do agree about the shadows of the leaves on the skin. The problem, I think, is very simple; you have established the light source as coming in from the upper left, but the shadows of the leaves on her skin kind of look like that are being cast from the upper right. Seems like you might be better off losing those shadows altogether.

By the way, what size wacom do you use?

5an10_fr
08-03-2003, 11:21 PM
hey man realy great work! great style! i just have one critic, the fact that the wing is from a butterfly, in my opinion it dosen´t suit the beauty of the fairy, when i see butterflys i see them as a little creepy, but that is just me. keep up the great work and style!

c-yaa!

brunner
08-04-2003, 12:10 AM
I think (heck, i'm sure) that this is THE painting that impressed me the most, in all these years that i've been in touch with the digital art..
I'm just engulfed by the atmosphere, the colors...
The technique is astonishing..

Linda, i will definately send you a card for your birthday.. you realy deserve it.:love:

tuzz
08-04-2003, 12:16 AM
dont reply very often.

but this is just so inspiring...

but i dont like the wings.. especially the right one. (the one facing the viewer...) they look ... special... yeah whatever. you made it - so its good i guess.

perhaps the "wings comment" is already made ? dunno - dnt care. good work!

davidSingha
08-04-2003, 01:06 AM
Nice work! I like the over all color scheme and shadows.

cheers:beer:

Kirt
08-04-2003, 01:18 AM
If you want to see the image ... check the gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery_image.php?image_id=363)

I can't help her with her site ... I'm afraid that's going to be hit quite a bit in the next couple of days. :D

Viper3d
08-04-2003, 01:38 AM
absolutely breathtaking...

I love the shadows from the tree above.

onlooker
08-04-2003, 01:45 AM
OMG you are awesome! Need I say more?:thumbsup:

goodlag
08-04-2003, 02:40 AM
Beautiful work:love:

Draco-84
08-04-2003, 03:38 AM
Nothing that hasn't already been said...
Truly stunning work!
I should only aspire to achive such brilliance!

raden
08-04-2003, 07:49 AM
to be honest , personally i'm not into this kind of theme. but my hats off for your mastery on techniques, lighting & mood.

the light on those greenery, on the water, on her feet...romantic.

HapZungLam
08-04-2003, 07:50 AM
oh Jesus, look at her sexy feet and thy. :drool:

how long does it take you?

Traiven3d
08-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Wow. I think this is your best work yet. I've been following your work for a long time, and its been highly enjoyable. The rendering of the light interplaying with the fabric is absolutely breathtaking.

My only crit would be that i find the background elements are slightly lacking in depth, but its nothing that can't be excused as artistic license.

Still amazed at how you raise the bar with each piece. Can't wait to see what you cook up next.

Cheers!

Stahlberg
08-04-2003, 08:14 AM
A bit like something Bougereau might have painted, except... better!! My god this is beautiful and magical! I want to go there when I die. Right there, and to that moment. In fact I could imagine someone actually wanting to die to go there.

ja, jag saknar Norrland har borta i tropikerna... :)

Enayla
08-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Oj, again, thanks everyone :} I feel so welcome.

Painting took me three or four days - it's difficult to say. When I start on something like this I work nearly non-stop (on Saturday morning, I went to bed at about 7AM, for example), so it's not ordinary 'work days', it's, err, 24/7.

I work on an A5 sized Wacom, after having tried out nearly all of the other sizes. The bigger ones worsen my shoulder problems. The smaller one is too small. This one's perfect.

And to those who likened my work to Bougereau... dear god, people, don't make me blush like that ;] He was truly a master and this painting was very much inspired by his work (and by the work of others like him), so, thank you very, very much :)

Stephen -- det har varit en jättefin sommar i år :) Jag är rätt säker att det är ännu vackrare där du är, dock :)

Aelius
08-04-2003, 11:41 AM
You must be bored of reading these things now, so I'll keep this short - the feet are amazing. Beautiful.:applause: (I'm a detail person!!)

The whole thing is breath-taking, but the feet grabbed me!!:)

fnselmi
08-04-2003, 12:11 PM
I CANT SEE ANY PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

sablebrush
08-04-2003, 01:16 PM
your illustration is wonderful

Congratulations!

jacky liu
08-04-2003, 03:54 PM
My God!!

This can see only inside the mythology :drool: :love:

NowhereMan
08-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Broken links

Hope to see the imgs when fixed!:hmm:

Rivendale
08-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi there fellow Swede...The image is very beautiful,..I really like the lighting and the serenity of it. I'm a sucker for late summer/autumn moods and you did a good job in capturing that. You said you had problems with painting feet? Not anymore I think. That area, with the cloth and all, is what I like best in the image.
If I would have a small crit it would be to give the apple some more contrast.

lovely, ha det:)

NowhereMan
08-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Might you be Linda Bergkvist? I tried to check the link to your website and it doesn't work...

Despite the style being different (nothing morbid, gothic-like or too mysterious) i think you might be her, maybe i'm wrong.

The picture is top notch, you are seriously pushing the limits of digital painting on this one. Whoever you might be, you are a master artist. if there was more stars to rate this i would do so.:drool:

:beer:

Kris-Rusinek
08-05-2003, 12:57 AM
It's so wonderful to see you here Linda! I love your work and it's really amazing stuff...
hard to believe it took you 3 days to paint!
Keep it up and God bless you!:thumbsup:

Enayla
08-05-2003, 01:10 AM
Aw, again, thank you everyone :}

I'm Linda Bergkvist, yeah :) I don't always paint dark things - especially not when I'm paid. It seems like people are more interested in the cute, classic fae and elves than they are in my more moody work (which is bitter, I like painting somewhat twisted things a little more, ah well ;])

I'm again very sorry for anyone who can't see the picture :/ It's uploaded somewhere in the cgnetworks gallery, maybe peek at it there? :)

My site is the most unstable thing in the history of man (well, if you don't count my temper :D) so it has a tendency to go belly-flopping from time to time like a half-demented fish.

Anyway, yesh, thank you everyone, once more. Mwah :)

malcolmvexxed
08-05-2003, 01:42 AM
great work, no crits.

Intonater
08-05-2003, 04:05 AM
Wonderful!!!:applause:
I so love it!!!:drool:
But, those little birds let me feel a little uncomfortable
at composition of this picture.
Or maybe you should figure the birds more lifelikeness?
(sorry my English skill is too bad,I hope you understand
what I said)
:beer:

FIREDD
08-05-2003, 04:06 AM
very beautiful£¡£¡£¡£¡£¡£¡£¡£¡

illustr8rX
08-05-2003, 04:23 AM
I always love your work, but this one is absolutely wonderful. the shadows and colors are SO nice. looks perfect to me as always

cgg
08-05-2003, 08:36 AM
:eek: >>>:drool: >>>:applause:

Edouard
08-05-2003, 02:34 PM
verry nice work:drool: :drool: :drool:

Russell Campos
08-05-2003, 06:11 PM
perfect job, as always :applause:

ChandlerL
08-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Oh goodness.

http://www.myny.us/smilies/touched.gif

Russell Campos
08-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Aww c'mon Linda, show us a lil step by step or at least comment something about your production workflow and approach!!!

Everything you could share with us would be a blessing!! :love:

Enayla
08-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Oi, how about I first promise that with the next picture, I'll take screencaps for you guys?

As for workflow - this picture started with the idea of a beautiful dark haired fae underneath an apple tree. Following that, came the story, and then the colours because they belong to the story. Let me explain that:

The yellow and green symbolise life and the decline of it - the rush of summer fading into autumn, but before the brightness and blood of autumn leaves are sprinkled across the landscape. That is instead represented by the four reds. The birds, her lips, the apple - always when there are birds in my images, there is an underlying thought of love and relationships. It's my own little symbolism, if you will, and I don't know if I've even talked about it before, elsewhere, but that's how it is :)

The two red robins, with their chests so red they seem to be bleeding, represent the oncoming of broken hearts (where two white birds, in another image, represented other aspects of a relationship). The four reds are the focal points of the image and they're important parts of the story. So what I knew long before I started on the image was that the overlaying colour scheme would be yellow and green - broken only by four red points

As for the actual image... I started off with her, and blocked her in - worked myself up to vague features in her face before I started with the bright yellow blotches of the background. I tried several different hairstyles before deciding that this one suited her best - the dark colour is suited for its contrast with the background, and to avoid the all-too typical blond-innocence. I also went for a more Greek look - I used to wear my hair like that all the time when I had longer hair and I find the tousled curls to be quite lovely :) Didn't want her to look typical. I spent a long time working on the features of her face and her hair once I began with the detailing, wanting very badly to give her an original, cute appearance.

The colours were carefully chosen. All the green and the yellows were bleeding out, so I brought in that turquoise-blue of the water and once I had, I just knew it was right for the image so I worked it (vaguely) into the sky as well :]

Most of the painting was done with a sharp edged, round brush in Adobe Photoshop 7. Textures with a smaller brush, while shading and highlighting with a considerably larger one. I cut out areas and took them into Painter, where I worked with the water colour tools, the oil brushes, and anything else I felt would fit well, to creature some more original textures :] Painter 7 is really slow on my computer, which is why I only copied the painting in bits and pieces rather than in its entirety. Since I'd already 'staked out' all the areas with Photoshop, this wasn't really an issue.

I love working like that - I find Painter has things that Photoshop lacks, and the other way around... I wouldn't like to use solely one or the other, I think they compliment each other excellently. Picture is pretty big for my old computer - some 7800pixels tall, I think, though I'm not entirely sure. Somewhere around there.

Sooo, I hope I shared at least some useful information :]

I know lots of you can't actually see the pictures I post, and that sucks :/ But I'll leave those of you that can with three close-ups.

Full resolution eye:
http://www.furiae.com/images/eye.jpg

Closeup of her face :) :
http://www.furiae.com/images/head.jpg

And the foot - my own favourite part of the picture :D :
http://www.furiae.com/images/foot.jpg

(if someone wants to host the pictures to be able to see them, give me a holler)

oxhido
08-05-2003, 08:29 PM
i´m...speechless... just an incredible work!!!

i really love your style.

you know, my favourite artists: friedrich, bocklin, furiae...:rolleyes:

Russell Campos
08-05-2003, 08:46 PM
I cant see the pictures but im pleased by your comments!! Thanks a lot for this sharing!! :bowdown:

kohse
08-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Linda, once again my jaw is on the floor. I am so glad that I have been fortunate enough to see your progression over the last 4 or 5 years since we first crossed paths online. Your work is not only beautiful but inspirational.

And for those of you that dont know Linda, she is a multiple Grandmaster Award Winner in the new Expose book that keeps flashing in those banners in the CGTalk headers. A well deserved award Linda.

SkyNet
08-06-2003, 03:30 AM
Nice work!!!!
I love it!
:love:

R3Koil
08-06-2003, 06:22 AM
I don't know what to say about these peices, maybe I will just say that you should be super proud of yourself. :) It rocks.

Icestar
08-06-2003, 06:48 AM
wow, digging it, glad to see a bit more illustration works than usual lately

Nemoid
08-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Thx for posting closeups!

shadows over her face and shoulders
seem little disturbing to me. in someway they don't
work so good .
yap, I know that she's in a wood and the sun leaves shadows on her,and this is "realistic" but they appear distracting.

Jan Sandahl
08-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Hi Linda...

I discovered your work this year, and was happy to see you were both swedish and female. It's really stupid, but I got impressed because your were female. But the truth is, your sex is outnumbered (or underexposed for some reason) in this field. Except for the honour of being part of the book EXPOSÉ 1, you're also having the honour of residing at my desktop right now with "eyreequel". :)

The foot is also my favorite part of this image, and the texture of her clothing is superb!. My critique is mostly about a small lack of consistency in the overall surface and texture. Maybe it's part of your goals and style, and then this critique has no value.

Example: The upper body, including shadows, is almost of 3d render quality/style while the background has a much more painterly (very nicely done) style. This shift in style makes the background feel a bit flat, like a backdrop/side-scene (kuliss in swedish). You were compared to Bouguereau and if I were to continue that comparison I'd say that he's better at this consistency. I don't mean the difference you get from more detailed parts in focus of a painting, more worked on than less important parts, but a shift in style. I also suspect you're a PS "layer-painter"? On a few spots (ex: In the yellow trees), there are orange lumps of colour that doesn't quite fit in because they feel like they are layer-blended rather than painted on the same canvas.

I also think her pose is a little stiff. Maybe it's about taste, but I'd like a little more relaxed, natural pose (maybe even more sensual, as the enviroment/scene itself). Her facial expression is simliar to that of a portrait session. It affects the mood of the painting, at least to me. Facial expressions don't have to be very pronounced (See Borguereau) to have depth. Anyway... you're SO close to be the same legue though, in my opinion, and I will continue to eagerly look forward to your work. :)

stelvis
08-07-2003, 12:58 PM
beautiful painting Linda - as many others have said you have amazing technique and a wonderful sense of colour..

my main criticism would be that the tree she is resting against looks like it is much further back than it should be - it almost looks like it's on the opposite bank of the river.. I'd be tempted to up the contrast on the tree to give it more punch and bring it further forwards.. either that or push the BG further back - that might actually help give the whole piece a bit more depth as well - a few folk have said they find it a bit claustraphobic - I actually quite like that effect, but pushing the BG back would certainly give mopre of a feeling of space I think....

fantastic work in any case - congratulations :)

stu aitken

AndersEgleus
08-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the workflow sketch, Linda, and thanks to all those who have contributed with insightful criticism (most recently Jan and stelvis). Since I'm an absolute, but enthusiastic beginner in the 2d painting field - just got my AceCat tablet working - this is really invaluable to me.

Even though I'm mainly a 3d/comp/animation person, reading the thoughts behind great 2d art is extremely helpful in creating good art in my own field.

|edit|Congratulation on the prize also, Linda.|/edit|

lildragon
08-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Wee bit behind on everything these days, but I'm catching back up :) Welcome to the board Linda, it's great to have you here posting finally, I've had your painting "the melody of your demise." on my desktop for sometime now, and looks like I might do the same with your latest! There's not much I can say here, I'm seriously in awe yet again.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Inspiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_aug03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

GreenIce
08-19-2003, 06:49 AM
wonderful work:thumbsup:

lily chang
08-20-2003, 01:02 PM
it's perfect!:wip: :love: :applause:

LowJacK
08-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Let me guess......this will be is Specrum?

VizStorm
08-20-2003, 08:17 PM
beautiful, congratulations!

Self-Designer
08-20-2003, 09:11 PM
OMG i've fell in love in that picture... :love:

That's the 1st pic here as far as i remember that instead of thinking "omg! that's awsome!!! how did u do that?!!!" it went directly to my right-brain part - directly to my feelings. If i was a girl i would have cried :)

All those details, and colors, and her face, position, the cloth, the birds, the reflections, her feet! oh her feet! r so awsome!!! I don't know how u did it, but it's feeling me with classic-galleries-from-the-museum-nostalagy-memories! oh it has smells, and temprature and all the things i didn't understand when i looked at those pics when i was young and went with my parents to see classic galleries. Then i thought "that's boring, it's like a camera, i prefer sourialistic" and in a matter of fact i do prefer it even nowadays, but that picture is like a teacher of loving classic art - now i know... :rolleyes:

-sigh- :applause:

Pinky_Powers
08-20-2003, 09:13 PM
I have not seen Art this beautiful in a long time. Speachless, LOVE IT!!!

Self-Designer
08-20-2003, 10:13 PM
I have a 9GB collection of photos, pics, 2d, 3d, non CG who knows what else (i try to put each artist's work in its own folder to save copyrights - for those who open a big eye :) ).

Anyway I so loved your work i wanted 2 put it (under 2d arts\artists\Linda Bergkvist) according to your name as u said.
I've found some pics u've done in 2001 or something - 3 or 4 drawings. similiar style to that one. but the signature isn't W but B, or just the whole name written... did u change your signature? and do u mind i'll add those works to my collection?

U can b sure i'm not using them in my own works, except some photoes (animals, views, no artistic) for photomontajes i do sometimes. So they r all under your name.

Yeh, i know, 9GB of pics collection is crazy, specially if they r orginized (like i do). but hey! who knows when u need some? or just search for inspiration! :)

lily chang
08-21-2003, 06:45 AM
"Songs under the apple tree"
I like this feeling

lily chang
08-21-2003, 06:45 AM
"Songs under the apple tree"
I like this feeling

Apocrypha
08-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Angelic face and those wings...... kinda reminds me of Dawn from nVidia :)

Oooh, one thing, her right arm is a bit short and fat.
I mean, she's almost perfect and all that :drool:

lily chang
08-22-2003, 10:49 AM
i can't find a word to describe the painting ¡£:drool: :love: :applause: :wip:

cyrenevjacob
10-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Wowwiie! The composition is fabulous and so is the ambience! The background is fabulous too!! This is one of the best works I have seen for a long time! However I am not happy with the shadows...on the fairies body...the light sources on the apple are not good either...it looks like you painted that apple in a studio with 3 lights! The details of anatomy is absolutely great...I love the way you did the feet and hands....like a maestro! Keep it up....way to go! :thumbsup:

alexyork
11-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Oh my.

This has to be one of my favourite Choice images in a long time.

There's a whole story telling itself.

I hope you post more here!

GFX-Arts
11-28-2003, 06:27 PM
really great work :)

Common Terry
11-14-2004, 02:07 AM
Just wanted to add my appreciation to this beautiful painting. Excellent work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.