PDA

View Full Version : News & Pictures from SIGGRAPH

jeremybirn
08-02-2003, 06:53 PM
As I try to do every year, I just uploaded a few pages of news & pictures from SIGGRAPH for anyone who's interested:

http://www.3drender.com/jobs/sig03/index.htm

-jeremy

show
08-02-2003, 06:54 PM
nice one jeremy :)

what on earth is going on with those lcd backpacks.

SheepFactory
08-02-2003, 06:59 PM
thanks for the report jeremy :beer:

slime
08-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey Jeremy, you are doing a great service to the community. The siggraph report was great and you have a great ammount of interesting stuff in your website! :) It's worth a read for everyone in the industry and even better for those willing to get inside it.
By the way, no I remember why your name was familiar to me; we met at siggraph on tuesday. We have the same digital camera, remember :)

Cheers and keep the good work!

Daniel.

ZeroNeuro
08-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Yup! And I love his article on how to get a job in the industry. BTW: I have now had 3 copies of Jeremy's book but someone keeps stealing it from me... I really need to buy lighting and rendering again.

Hooked on Birn worked for me!

Cheers ;)
Ritchie Roberts

vangaans
08-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks very much for posting Jeremy. Have never been to Siggraph but hopefully will be in a position to get there next year. Great to get a feel of what the event is like from posts like this.
Great tips on your site as well. Bought your book about 12 months ago,... invaluable.:thumbsup:

Paul Van Gaans
www.vangaans.com

ceql
08-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Wow, that was great, thank you sir! :applause:

Gilgamesh
08-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Hey Jeremy. In regards to SIGGRAPH in San Francisco, I was talking to a board member about that, and they have been dying to come to SF. The main reason that she blamed it on were the hotels up here, which refuse to negotiate a lower price. Even with all the money that the conference brings in, it's still too expensive to have it up here. It's going to be in LA the next two years, because the city offered up their convention center for only a dollar.
So the advisory board knows that SF is a good place for SIGGRAPH, and peopple should complain to the city and hotels instead. I live literally across the street from the Moscone Center, so I would love to have it up here. It would be awesome.

Srek
08-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi,
thanks for the pics,
as usual i wasn't able to attend myself :(

Sorry to see you missed the introduction of the new BodyPaint 3D version.

Cheers
Srek

Kenter
08-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks ,that's really cool.:beer:

JA-forreal
08-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Great pics of Siggraph Jeremy. I am so near to San Diego yet so far away. I didn't know that Siggraph never made it to San Fran. That's my home area. The Moscone Center aways holds some of the best tech conventions in the world. I hope it makes it there the next time round. I had wanted to meet up with some of my "grassroots" 3d developer fellow members from the Blender.org community but there's aways the next Siggraph event.

The Blender tribe was there-

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1914

I think that the Pixar and Maya exhibits were looking real good this year-

Pixar-

http://www.blender.org/bf/sigpics/IMG_0123.JPG

Maya-

http://www.blender.org/bf/sigpics/IMG_0133.JPG

jeremybirn
08-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Gilgamesh
The main reason that she blamed it on were the hotels up here, which refuse to negotiate a lower price. Even with all the money that the conference brings in, it's still too expensive to have it up here. It's going to be in LA the next two years, because the city offered up their convention center for only a dollar.

Coming to the bay area would mean most of the attendees could just commute to the conference, so it would greatly lower hotel expenses. The prices for booking hotels through SIGGRAPH's website were hardly much of a discount anyway - most people found hotels at a fraction of that price on pricefinder, etc. Also, if they wanted a "discount" class of hotel offerings, the convention center is only 5 minutes from the Bay Bridge, so they could arrange for some places in Emeryville with competetive rates to be a low-cost choice - there are some tall hotel towers over near pixar that give deep discounts to nearby companies bringing in visitors.

-jeremy

malducin
08-04-2003, 09:17 AM
The way I heard it from on chapter official is that it was not the price but occupancy, like they wanted a guarantee that the hotels would be full to a very high percentage, lets say 90% for example. With that insanity SIGGRAPH decided to pass.

jason-slab
08-04-2003, 11:40 AM
hey

nice, thx for all those who couldn't make it!:thumbsup:

interesting to see the growing interest in xsi, nothing like good competition for maya, i just wonder, is it going to be down to the workflow, or is maya still stonger, or or errr umm ok nevermind:D

have fun

|jason

Neil
08-05-2003, 06:00 AM
That Discreet booth babe was cute, wouldn't mind seeing her again :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.