PDA

View Full Version : Per Shot Lighting Vs Full Environment Lighting

B4C
08-07-2009, 11:50 PM
How is lighting done in production? I'm currently lighting a cinematic that takes place outdoors. The easy solution would be to just set up some directional lights to fake GI, but I think that setting up lights per shot would give me much more control over directing the focus of the shot and hiding distracting geometry. I would think that the latter would be more time consuming.

I've seen plenty of workflows for lighting still scenes, but I don't think I've seen anything regarding lighting animations with multiple shots.

Thanks for the help.

mister3d
08-08-2009, 12:57 AM
You should keep the continuity, so the viewer wouldn't be aware of cheating. So use your common sense. You can cheat lighting, furniture position etc. Just make it not to be popping out.

jeremybirn
08-08-2009, 07:35 PM
After you have the overall lighting looking pretty good for the whole sequence, then you can go in and modify what you need per-shot. That two-step process works well for a smaller project. On a bigger project, it might be more steps: overall lighting of each sequence, adjusting that lighting for sets of similar shots (all the close-ups on the same character, all the shots facing the same direction, etc.), then final adjustments for each shot.

-jeremy

B4C
08-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Alright, I have a pretty clear understanding now. Thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2009, 07:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.