PDA

View Full Version : What is the simplest render pass system for MR?

cgbeige
08-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm looking to use render passes in my print renders since it gives more control over the result but I'm yet to settle on a solution since they all seem to have big drawbacks. Here are the ones I've seen/tried briefly:

Maya 2009's: This be find if it worked with mia_material_x_passes but it seems like barely any work so you're stuck using Maya's lambert/phong/etc which is useless. Am I wrong?

MegaTK: Great but the whole scene has to be constructed with this shader or passes won't work.

Luma Nexus: This seems like the best one (nice UI, shader, per-light output, Mac support, etc) but it's not updated for 2009 so it breaks the MR globals windows. If someone could hack the Mental Ray MEL files that comes with it, that might fix it but I have no idea. But I hear that it's still unstable.

What other options are there?

cgbeige
08-07-2009, 09:28 PM
also, if someone can point me to a good EXR / Nuke / AE or Shake compositing tutorial, it would be a big help. I'm really starting from scratch here so I just really need to learn how passes are applied (order, apply mode, etc).

Galakgorr
08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
if you're using mia_material_x_passes it will render all of the passes you need to equal your beauty pass, generally speaking.

beauty = diffuse + indirect + reflection + refraction + specular + translucence + incandescence.

all of those passes will work as long as you're rendering to a float format. if you can't do float EXR, you can use 16-bit integer if you want but you have to tell each pass you create to render to integer or else they'll come out black.

the built-in depth and motion vector passes will also work in any situation where you're not using transparent cards, though they only work with floating point output.

cgbeige
08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
ok - thanks. I'm using 32-bit EXR, so I should be good. Can someone give me a brief rundown of the apply modes for the passes (I know AO/multiply, shadow/difference, but the rest I'm not sure about).

Galakgorr
08-07-2009, 11:33 PM
just add all those passes i listed together for the beauty pass. AO is tricky-- if you're using the mia_material's built-in AO then it effectively appears in your indirect pass. if you're using a traditional AO pass, you can multiply it against the indirect pass to get a similar effect. shadows would be considered part of the diffuse and indirect passes, and you'd see them in both. you could render out a separate shadow matte pass using mip_matteshadow to have more control over shadows in post.

if you read the documentation for the mia_material shader, they go into detail as to the theory behind compositing all those passes together. unfortunately, the more complex variant isn't possible right now straight out of maya because a lot of the passes they mention (such as diffuse_raw and diffuse_level) need to have custom framebuffers built in order to work, and custom framebuffers are broken in maya 2009 and cause huge slowdowns.

Stellios
11-29-2009, 06:46 AM
just add all those passes i listed together for the beauty pass. AO is tricky-- if you're using the mia_material's built-in AO then it effectively appears in your indirect pass. if you're using a traditional AO pass, you can multiply it against the indirect pass to get a similar effect. shadows would be considered part of the diffuse and indirect passes, and you'd see them in both. you could render out a separate shadow matte pass using mip_matteshadow to have more control over shadows in post.

if you read the documentation for the mia_material shader, they go into detail as to the theory behind compositing all those passes together. unfortunately, the more complex variant isn't possible right now straight out of maya because a lot of the passes they mention (such as diffuse_raw and diffuse_level) need to have custom framebuffers built in order to work, and custom framebuffers are broken in maya 2009 and cause huge slowdowns.

Wow, what a disappointment. Lately ive been trying to get passes out of maya as well. How sad is it that max can get all these tools and we maya users cannot. Praise the day when Maya pays attention to things like linear workflow and passes. My life would be better i think.

Skoczylas
11-29-2009, 09:40 AM
and custom framebuffers are broken in maya 2009 and cause huge slowdowns.
Anyone knows if that is fixed in Maya 2010?

Puppet|
11-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Anyone knows if that is fixed in Maya 2010?

No.
Relative to this issue:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=828928

MasonDoran
11-29-2009, 08:04 PM
if you use framebuffer method, you need to use ALL Mia_passes shaders and do not mix with standard maya blinn/phong/lambert shader. It will break the passes otherwise. Otherwise use only Maya shaders.

Shadow pass does not work in 2009 when using Mia materials.

cgbeige
11-30-2009, 04:08 AM
thanks but I bought VRay for Maya since the OP. Works great with passes. Never using MR again.

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2009, 04:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.