PDA

View Full Version : Discreet issued a press release on Expose

ZeroNeuro
08-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Discreet, a division of Autodesk, Inc. issued this press release on 07/28/2003
Discreet 3ds Max Dominates Digital Art Book (http://www1.discreet.com/SITE/PressN.nsf/5245eec90119c9cc852566a6005884a4/93f067388642926e85256d710050b9f5?OpenDocument)

Now, the statements that are made in this press release are correct, however there are no mention of any of the artists who used their software to make the images. It is, afterall, the artist themselves that are the center of the Expose book's content. Yet, to not acknowledge the individual artists who are responsible for the work contained in the book, to me, is a disregard for the integrity of the artist. To use the book as an official PR campaign without asking the artists, or getting a use of consent form from them detracts from the artist. Especially if used by a company to sell software. Any commericial use of an artist's work must be expressly consented to.

I sent Discreet an E-mail concerning this Press Release. It read as follows:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,

It has come to my attention that you recently reported in an official Press Release that over 50% of the artists in the Ballistic Publishing art book ‘Expose’ has used your software. This is a correct statement, however I believe that your use of the book for advertising purposes without acknowledging the individual artists detracts from the integrity of their work. I think that it would be in the best interest of the artist, and your company, to acknowledge these artists by name, or to get a consent of use statement from them before using their work as free advertising. If there were no artists, there would be no need of software companies who create products for the artist.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Ritchie Roberts
ZeroNeuro Arts Ltd.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

What is more, what of the artists in the book who did not use Discreet's software? Have they become unwilling partners of a company's advertising campaign? What of the rest of the 50% contained in the book? I think that the integrity of the artist and the ownership of such work is the most important issue here. And I hope that this situation is improved in the near future, or the artist will take a second seat to the corporate advertising campaigns that exploit their work.

Cheers,
Ritchie Roberts

Icarus
08-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Very interesting,

I personallly Dont like to see it being used as a PR book, this book was put together for the best, and its their chance to show of their work, not the company to say, we allowd them to do this,

I really dislike that...

TyR-

danylyon
08-02-2003, 05:09 PM
well.. this is publicity for EXPOSE. And..additionally.. those discreet people really make it sound like EXPOSE is THE book for the 3D art community, which is cool too. (We all know it is.. but the outside world has to hear about it to.)

(btw I've got a piece in EXPOSE and I didn't use MAX..)

Izu
08-02-2003, 05:11 PM
BAKA NO DESCREET!!!

...yeah...if they don´t do something about this real quick...i think many people would be dissapointed in them, not only the artists who are featured but also many other artists...even those who don´t use 3ds max....

I hope this will be resolved...

-JT-
08-02-2003, 06:43 PM
The competition is becoming harder and harder between software companies, but i'm not shocked with this press release, it's just marketing and if what they say is true... (look at the other companies, i feel thay all created star wars, harry potter or spiderman...)
now another question, if exposé is only about art, why are the softwares mentioned in it ?

headengine
08-02-2003, 08:24 PM
It's business. As you say - everyone else grabs onto the shows they were used on - Maya on Spidey, Apple showing Nemo shots on their new machines etc etc etc.

And no mention of the artists there in other folks PR bumpf... hey, its all good for Expose, building up its rep to those who aren't aware of it, so in the end it *does* big up the artists... I don't think its dissing them *at all*, in fact on this very board I think someone from Newtek was saying well done to all the artists using LW that made it into the book.

CHill, people! :D

ZeroNeuro
08-02-2003, 08:37 PM
My intentions was not to say that I do not think that companies should congratulate artists who use their software, but I have not yet seen any other company use Expose as a means of promotion in an official PR press release, using it to claim:

“The results speak for themselves. 3D digital artists prefer 3ds max as the most productive and flexible 3D software to help them realize their creative vision, and create quality animations, visualizations and evocative works of art,” says Paul Lypaczewski, General Manager of Discreet and Executive Vice President of Autodesk, Inc. “We are absolutely thrilled that the 3D digital art industry continues to prove that 3ds max is the leading choice for 3D artists worldwide"

What Newtek did, by offering congratulations was in perfect order. They not only gave a nod to LW users but also to ALL the artists in the book.

My intention in creating this thread was to generate awareness to the subject of artistic integrity. I have every faith possible in the CG Networks staff, moderators, and community. I just wanted to alert people to the issue of when using artists for promotional material and press goes too far. All I want is for the artists who did a damned good job on this excellent book to be recognized over the software they used to create it. Focus on the Art, and the Artist.

Cheers
Ritchie Roberts

headengine
08-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Fair do's, Zero, I'm with you all the way.

I don't think it's the first time it's happened though - it's really how a lot of PR works for companies, hitchin a ride on the great artists coat tails if you will, in every industry. You're right, it is always a priority to give respect to the artists. However, how many *companies* have you worked at where the team members have gotten their mentions in PR/press.... erm, there's not that many - not unless they are great companies to work at :) The big bosses are always keen to blag credit and just mention the 'team' all too often...

As long as they all get their props - which I have no doubt everyone in Expose will - then I guess it's no big deal is all I'm saying. Hey my copy is in the mail - I don't even know if it mentions the software used with each image...?!

Keep fighting the good fight for artists though mate

:thumbsup:

Leonard
08-02-2003, 10:42 PM
I will jump in and make a statement about this, as we were part of issuing the press release as much as Discreet was.

Discreet really gave us mad props at SIGGRAPH. They had Limited Editions on display and eight of the collectors cards at the booth circulating. This really helped in promoting EXPOSE', which directly gave all the EXPOSE' artists extra promotion irregardless of what tools they used.

Essentially, what I am saying is that Discreet is doing all the artists a big favour by giving PR attention to the book. It really doesn't matter if you're using 3ds max or any other package, everyone who is part of EXPOSE' is getting good PR the more people talk about it.

There was nothing inaccurate or sly in discreet's PR message - the facts are true and we stand behind it. At the end of the day, everybody wins - the artists, and the companies that make the tools that enable them to make the stunning imagery.

Also bear in mind that the cover image by Steven Stahlberg is a Maya image - discreet had no problem with this. Ultimately, they embrace all digital artists and hope that you'll consider using discreet products in the future. That's the simple truth to the matter. :thumbsup:

Hope that clears things up.

Leo

headengine
08-02-2003, 10:59 PM
The more the word spreads about this amazing book and this amazing site we all frequent, the better.

Now... where's my copy, the suspense is killing me!:p

ZeroNeuro
08-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Leonard, my whole reason for doing this is to just get discreet to name the artists and give them direct exposure. I just want the artists named so they can have the credit if they are going to be used officially.

I think its important to focus on the artist. Like add a line to the PR release listing the artists using their product.

Cheers

Leonard
08-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Zero,

Point taken. What's done is done though, and Discreet/Ballistic will not be following up on the PR. We'll keep it in mind for future releases, thanks for the feedback.

Leo

Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
Leonard, my whole reason for doing this is to just get discreet to name the artists and give them direct exposure. I just want the artists named so they can have the credit if they are going to be used officially.

I think its important to focus on the artist. Like add a line to the PR release listing the artists using their product.

Cheers

ZeroNeuro
08-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Thank you. :thumbsup:

Izu
08-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by headengine
in fact on this very board I think someone from Newtek was saying well done to all the artists using LW that made it into the book.

CHill, people! :D

I think Proton said it..but infact i believe he said well done to all the artists...not all LW artists..

Mahlon
08-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Leonard,
Thanks for the voice of reason before things got discreet bashing.

Mahlon

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.