PDA

View Full Version : Golden: VFX heavy opening sequene

deanyurke
08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is the opening sequence to the feature film I'm making called, Golden.

All the effects are done on an inferno including 3D geometry for the sticks and leaves; particle systems for the smoke, leaves and debris and extended bicubics and projection maps for the mine.

http://vimeo.com/3778041

For more info check out the website,

www.goldenthemovie.com (http://www.goldenthemovie.com)

Thanks!

Dean.

Glacierise
08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Very impressive effects!

deanyurke
08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Very impressive effects!
Sweet! Thank you : )

As I'm new to CG Society forums I was wondering if this was the right board to post this on since this is technically 2 and 1/2 d and more about compositing than animation?

Thanks again,

Dean.

Silverwing
08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Wow impressive.
Great camera movement. Good integration of CG effects and very well overall look.
I loved the beginning. May I ask what this Feature is about? Now i have seen the beginning Im really interested ^^.

Really great work there! Keep it up!

Cheers Silverwing

deanyurke
08-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Wow impressive.
Great camera movement. Good integration of CG effects and very well overall look.
I loved the beginning. May I ask what this Feature is about? Now i have seen the beginning Im really interested ^^.

Really great work there! Keep it up!

Cheers Silverwing

Thanks Silverwing! It's a supernatural thriller about a group of frined who discover an abandoned mine.

Here's the Synopsis taken from the website www.goldenthemovie.com : -

Thanks again

Dean

On the surface Golden paints a picture as a typical teen horror slasher. Edgy teens in the woods, sex drugs and rock and roll, victims waiting to be picked off by a potential serial killer... but it's a ruse.

When one of the teens is trapped down an abandoned gold mine and the group are faced with losing a fortune in gold if they send help to rescue their friend, we realize that the forces of evil aren't external, but internal, lurking within the hearts of all men. We watch aghast as their friendships and loyalties spiral out of control into depravity and savagery as the teens are consumed by greed, lust and a heart of darkness. And all along fueled by a supernatural presence in the mine that suggests that it's not by accident that they find themselves in this dilemma.

Brutally unapologetic, Golden hurtles the viewer through a gamut of emotions. Set against the breathtaking backdrop of the California sierras this unique story will leave the viewer shocked, exhausted and dying for more. And maybe, just a little self reflective that all of us may be capable of behaving in a similar way...

deanyurke
09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Been boarding the movie like crazy, up to 1/5th the way through!

There's a ghost aspect to the film, and I'm in the process of designing the effects. Any suggestions of really cool subtle examples you've seen in other films / games etc.

Thanks

Dean.

Bandu
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I love IT! doesn't matter if its 3D or 2 and 1/2, looks super!

deanyurke
09-11-2009, 04:46 AM
I love IT! doesn't matter if its 3D or 2 and 1/2, looks super!

Thanks Bandu! I checked out your reel, amazing particle simulations. Fantastic work man.

RobertoOrtiz
09-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Wow that is a great opening!
You should come to one of our DC SIGGRAPH meetings.

deanyurke
09-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Wow that is a great opening!
You should come to one of our DC SIGGRAPH meetings.

:beer:
Cheers Roberto!
I'm in Marin County CA (hence the redwoods) where's your next meeting?

simyevil2010
09-16-2009, 10:50 AM
good started

very good work i like it 2 much the real work

good lcuk 4 ever :applause:

effstops
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
This looks fantastic. Incredible opening sequence. And the premise of the film itself sounds refreshing and powerful.

This is the kind of film that gets me excited. Low-budget (shot with affordable equipment), yet extremely high production value. Solid filmmaking. Will the rest of the film be shot like this? Or was this more of a proof-of-concept to get people interested?

I'll definitely be checking back in on this project. If I may ask, will this be your first experience directing?

Very exciting stuff, man. Seamless visual effects, amazing sound design too. Keep up the great work!

--Colin

deanyurke
09-17-2009, 12:22 AM
good started

very good work i like it 2 much the real work

good lcuk 4 ever :applause:

Thanks Simyevil :beer:

Great to hear from someone in Iraq! Thanks so much!

deanyurke
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
This looks fantastic. Incredible opening sequence. And the premise of the film itself sounds refreshing and powerful.

This is the kind of film that gets me excited. Low-budget (shot with affordable equipment), yet extremely high production value. Solid filmmaking. Will the rest of the film be shot like this? Or was this more of a proof-of-concept to get people interested?

I'll definitely be checking back in on this project. If I may ask, will this be your first experience directing?

Very exciting stuff, man. Seamless visual effects, amazing sound design too. Keep up the great work!

--Colin

Thanks so much Colin!

Very glad you're excited, that's the ultimate compliment. I shot the opening scene for several reasons one like you said to attract interest and show proof of concept another was that it's in the movie, nothing wasted but mostly to attract a high level cast. And I have to say that it's more than did the trick.

Since this is an intense film the performances are going to carry the movie far more than the visuals and VFX so casting has been paramount. I can't wait to share the casting news but for now I can't elaborate.

The film will be shot with the same equipment that I made the opening sequence with so yep the rest of the film will be up to these standards.

So anticipate some rocking visuals, an awesome soundtrack, gut wrenching performances and a cracking story that'll haunt your dreams for years to come... (okay I'll take my producer hat off now)

Thanks again Colin!

:beer:

Dean.

deanyurke
09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Question:

I'm working on the design of the ghosts at the moment and am looking for successful visual effects for ghosts. Care to share any examples you think are great?

I want to keep them subtle so you do see them they're on for just long enough to be freaky but not over used. I like the idea of seeing the effect of a ghost on the real world and hiding the "creature" but would like to show something in intense moments.

I liked the demon effect in Devil's advocate but that's more for possession.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dean.

arza
09-24-2009, 01:12 AM
very interesting
can't wait to see more

keep it up man!

deanyurke
09-30-2009, 08:42 AM
very interesting
can't wait to see more

keep it up man!

Thanks so much! Casting is almost done, just one more role to confirm!

deanyurke
10-14-2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.goldenthemovie.com/1sheet_eye4pxy.jpg

deanyurke
10-25-2009, 07:45 AM
http://www.goldenthemovie.com/images/eye3d_mon.1.jpg

In 3D - Grab your anaglyph glasses

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2009, 07:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.