PDA

View Full Version : No shadows appear in Renders, but they're switched on!

Narfnarf
08-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi, I'm having a strange problem in Maya and Mental Ray, I have a Direct light for Sun, and I have raytraced shadows switched on but when I render just using GI and not FG no shadows appear. Why is this?

Thanks

InfernalDarkness
08-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Which Maya version are you using?

Perhaps post a render so we can see?

Narfnarf
08-07-2009, 07:09 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/spidersart/Base_Tunnel_22.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/spidersart/DirectLightsettings.jpg

Here's a render, and a screen grab. I'm using Maya 2008, I don't know why no shadows are being cast, its very strange. Do you have to render with FG turned on to see shadows? The FG renders take too long.

Thanks for the help

klingspor
08-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Are the shadows enabled in the render globals as well?

klingspor
08-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Also, your ray depth limit is way too high unless you have an insane amount of transparent surfaces hidden in that landscape...

epq
08-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Looks like there is a giant sphere enclosing the scene. If this sphere casts shadows it will block light and shadows from the directional light to enter the scene.
If this is the case uncheck 'Casts Shadows' under Render Stats on the sphere.

/eric

InfernalDarkness
08-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Agreed. Hopefully it's as simple as adjusting your environment sphere.

Also, FG should never take "too long". It's highly tweakable and you should be able to experience very fast FG if your settings are proper.

Those ray-depth settings are seriously absurdly high, especially for a scene with no complex glass or gems!

Sybexmed
08-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Stefan, probably not the appropriate place to ask but i mailed you acouple of days ago asking if you had a tutorial about celulite with no answer.. Did you have one or no?

klingspor
08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Stefan, probably not the appropriate place to ask but i mailed you acouple of days ago asking if you had a tutorial about celulite with no answer.. Did you have one or no?Celulight is not publicly available so I don't see the reason for a tutorial.

Sorry for going off topic.

Narfnarf
08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi, thanks epq! That worked, I forgot about the Sky sphere casting shadows. Its all rendering correctly now. Cheers
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.