PDA

View Full Version : Mia Material to make fabric/wood floor

Mrguy
08-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm using mia materials to make all my shaders in my room scene.

How would I create a shader that appears like a darker green in the shadows and a lighter green yellow in the highlight and lit areas.

Also having trouble getting my wood floor material just right. :(

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/room_CGsociety.jpg?t=1249633194

Hamburger
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Looks fine to me, your exposure and gamma is a little out though. Try using a sharper filter for rendering too.

Here's the exposure adjusted in PS: Gamma .8, Exposure +1.22

Mrguy
08-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Thankyou Hamburger, lol.. hamburger :) nice.

Do you think both the floor and the couch is working?

Yeah I haven't yet attached that mia exposure node to the camera yet.

InfernalDarkness
08-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Looks great on both my Acer (cheap) and my Viewsonic 22" LCD's. The first render is very convincing; the floor looks perfect, as does the sofa fabric.

cgbeige
08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm a little confused - is the first shot a photo and the second your render? If so, I'd say that your pillows are a little playdough-ish (they feel like mottled cubes - make the cage mesh like you would a pillow and then pinch and wrinkle for realism). I'd give the couch a good sweep with the artisan smooth brush or bring it into Mudbox/ZBrush to get the billows and pinches a little better. Also, the bump scale of your floor is a little off - try and make it smaller and you'll probably get more scale out of the room. I'd say scale the planks down 25% too. Whether or not it's like the photo doesn't matter - they feel too big

cgbeige
08-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Just a follow-up - it's not far but a lot of what it lacks is just detailing and maybe some tweaking of proportion. The bars on the windows feel thick and so the room feel like it's a doll room (sorry if that sounds harsh but this is a common problem I have to work through too). I think that if you nailed the feeling/proportion of the windows and bars, added the detailing to the couch and got the exposure right, it could be done in a couple hours.

Mrguy
08-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Sorry InfernalDarkness the top is reference and the bottom is the render, that's my fault for not labeling. But I am trying to get it as close to that as possible. Again sorry about that.

Thanks cgbeige I brought the a pillow into Zbrush just to see what I could do with it. I really need to push it farther so it doesn't look so doughy.. but I fully agree. I'll also fix the wooden planks they are feeling a bit too big. And as for the rest I couldn't agree with you more. I rendered out a shot and then complied it with the ref. and was like humm.. windows are a problem! And detailing yes! Right now I just wanted to get my materials working corectly and my lighting correct before I go into UV mapping.. bleh and then adding a bit of wear and tear and discolor and whatevers. Then connect the mia_exposure_photographic towards the end.. or maybe I should do that now?

Thanks guys for the comments, there's alot going on on the forum so your comments are very much appretiated.

InfernalDarkness
08-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Well I guess I should have known the top one was a photo... But I really WANTED it to be amazing CG work! You'll get there. Just keep at it. That said, I haven't ever made a scene as nice as that photo, but my workflow is usually one single day to get a project "done", and in one eight-hour work day I never really approach realism in time. I think if you just keep at it, you'll certainly nail the realism in time, and if this isn't a commercial project then there's really no rush. You can always come back to it later and "pimp it out" if you want!

As for linear workflow, I would certainly set up your Framebuffer and Exposure node now. It'll help so much for each render, and you'll meet your goal much faster.

cgbeige
08-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I suggest starting from scratch with your pillow mesh. It's often way more difficult (and a waste of time) to un-suck a model based on a wonky base mesh. Try and get your cage mesh as close as possible before bringing it into ZBrush. So make one that's not a cube but a pillow (ie: with pinched seams along the edge).

cgbeige
08-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Also, for the wet-ish sheen on the floor, try using a phong or highly reflective (but black in the diffuse) mia_mat and plug it into the Additional Color slot of the mia_mat_x.

I find this gets me closer to the additive Maxwell-style shader layering. That's why I like Maxwell so much - because it doesn't really fake anything, it makes you realize, after goofing around "glossy" bullshit in MR, that a glossy floor is just a lambert wood with a highly specular layer on top. In other words, it's obvious when you think about it physically instead of in Mental Ray terms.

Mrguy
08-09-2009, 04:13 AM
I still have to do the last thing you were saying cgbeige but here is where I'm at I got the photographic exposure to work correctly in my shot and changed a few materials and sized down the floors.

I'll post some more later. Gotta ride the bike back before it gets too dark.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/CGSroom002_aug07.jpg?t=1249787779

cgbeige
08-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Looking better but honestly I would just render in 32-bit and tone map in photomatix for a better photo feel but that's me. Is this for a single archviz portfolio frame?

I use Maxwell for phys sun sky stuff so I can't help you there

Mrguy
08-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Thank you, nd are you talking about rendering at different exposures and then compile in Photomatix? I think you can do that in photoshop too?

Not sure what you mean by archviz portfolio frame? If i were to guess I rendered this completely out of Maya.. though not too sure what you mean.

Just when I start to get a handle on mental ray I start really learning about better renders like Vray and Maxwell (maybe not better but like one click = correct render). I'm actually relatively new to CG, only been doing this for about a year and a half.. so much to learn, trying to cach up to where I should be. Anyway... Maxwell wow some really mpressive renders. What's Maxwell like? How quick is it to pick up? Does it use it's own shaders and lights?

mister3d
08-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Your outdoor lights are too dim, make them much brighter. Usually you start from 20x intensity. That's why you can't get the reflections of a needed brightness.

Mrguy
08-09-2009, 06:31 AM
20 times more intense? Wouldn't that blow out the light that's hitting the floor? Or should I just adjust the glossyness/reflection of the material?

Your talking about the reflections on the ground right?

Mrguy
08-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Oh Cgbeige I think i just got what you were saying are you asking if it's an architectural visual piece like for a client maybe? If so this is just a personal project. Going to school at San Jose State and am working on this as a summer project. Sorry if I'm way off the mark if I'm wrong with what your asking. :surprised

cgbeige
08-09-2009, 07:22 AM
ya, then render in 32-bit and use Photoshop or (better) Photomatix to tone map the EXR file. You will get a lot more control over the exposure than with the exposure lens shaders and much better results.

But 32-bit is essential for a shot like this - it gives you like photographic 20 stops of information, which you need to get the broad spectrum highlights and shade. The only time you should use a lens shader in my opinion is if you HAVE to render an animation and need to keep it all in Mental Ray. For archviz stills, use a good tonemapper after rendering 32-bit.

Mrguy
08-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Hows the Maxwell render?

Do you have an suggestions for rendering the rug... I'm testing fur right now and knew that it would be hard to render though I didn't know it would be this long. Renders are like 20x... I can figure out ways to cheat it or to skim off render time, but I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

fabergambis
08-09-2009, 12:34 PM
@Mrguy: I know there are some maya shader you can find on highend3d, that can help you to achieve the desired result for your couch, I mean especially Plush shader and a Velvet shader but I cannot remind the right name: you can try a search for velvet shader on highend3d, within maya shaders.
They're maya shaders but you can 'rebuild' the network with mia_material, I didi it a long time ago and it worked very fine.
Or you can simply search for any mr velvet shader, hope it helps.

ytsejam1976
08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I think puppet shaders help you. they are great and have a velvet parameter.

cgbeige
08-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Ya, the megaTK shader has a velvet option built right in. The highend 3D plush shader is really nice and has more realism/layers than just a simple facing ratio approach.

Maxwell is amazing and I personally wouldn't do a single still/archviz type image in anything else. It's my main renderer but I have this project that requires a lot of not-so-photo realistic stuff so I'm using MR. My last Maxwell project was this:

http://www.3eige.com/ars/fiorito_mediumres.jpg

Maxwell makes it a lot easier to get consistent high quality light since there is no fake "photons vs direct light like Maya/MR). It does things like diffraction, displacement and SSS really well. But it doesn't do volumetric stuff so that smoke is just a cheesy image plane and alpha map. But the best part of working with is the light mixer - you can interactively change the lighting WHILE it renders on a little mixing desk. I can't wait for 2.0:

http://maxwellrender.com/version2/

cgbeige
08-09-2009, 07:22 PM
oh and look at how nice the phys sky system is:

http://vimeo.com/2019751

anevsky
08-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Regarding the original topic:)

In terms of lighting and general shape you are getting there.

Main problems that jump out - all your pillows are identical like good soldiers.

- you have to reduce the filter amount on your bump (node and texture node which feeds into the bump) for the floor.

for that rug I think you will have to use maya fur.

Main advice I can give i guess is - keep looking back at your reference\s and try to catch what is still different between that and your render.

Mrguy
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Hey anevsky lol yeah the pillows are just place holders.

I fixed the floor last night tell me how it looks...

I tried maya fur last night and was able to bring down my render times... though not too sure about the outcome. Is there a way to map like color information to the fur? Like the ref image instead of randomness?

And I couldn't agree more. I am flexing a little bit or artistic freedom because the image was shot with another light behind the camera and is really knocking back the cast shadows and bringing the saturation up in the photo.

Dang CGbeige it's like real world correct instead of like Maya where numerical values can mean ANYTHING. My main thing is that it seems that you use Maxwell and are working at a job that uses Maxwell so you are accustomed to Maxwell. I'm still in school and I have no idea what I want to focus on. I really need to figure it out soon, modeling, lighting, rendering, shaders, rigging. Being a Maya Generalist won't help me create a strong portfolio. Sigh... just so much to learn, and everything is relevant. What I'm saying is if I want to be a architectural visdev-er then yeah i should learn Maxwell.. I just have no idea what I should focus on.

Very nice project, I check'd out your images and videos, very cool, lot of insperation, but I'm sure you hear that all the time.

I downloaded highend's shader a while ago and it just seem'd too unstable. I'll give it another go and check it out and figure it out. (what I mean is that changing colors on it was a bit complex.. I'm not one to give up easy.)

Thank you fabergamis I'll most definitely be checking them out and breaking them apart and figuring them out.

Whats the differences between mia_material and mia_material_x ?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/room_aug_10_09.jpg?t=1249893719

InfernalDarkness
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
The main difference between mia_material and mia_material_x is that _x supports bump mapping directly. No need for other nodes to make your bump maps work. I'm sure there are other differences, like mia_x works better with render passes and stuff like that, but the proper working bump node is the feature I use most in mia_x. I wouldn't use mia_material anymore unless I knew I wouldn't need a bump map.

cgbeige
08-10-2009, 05:45 PM
the scene is looking okay (the chair at the right looks really nice) but the scale of the rug is off. I'd say if you scaled the whole thing down and made the rug out of 4 tiles of the thing you have there, the scale would be better.

cgbeige
08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
the scene is looking okay (the chair at the right looks really nice) but the scale of the rug is off. I'd say if you scaled the whole thing down and made the rug out of 4 tiles of the thing you have there, the scale would be better.

It's also a bit of a light vacuum so try and lower whatever occlusion or whatever you have causing it. I suggest doing ambient occlusion as a last pass (you will need it to get the finish though).

And don't be fooled that a professional interior shot is JUST exterior lighting - it's not. Use some subtle area lights in the inside to brighten up your dark areas but still look like it's reflected light. I guarantee that the nice brighter edge you see in the photo on the left side of the green couch is a light. If you are looking to do archviz more, I recommend getting Light: Science and Magic. It's a photographer's studio lighting book and helped me a lot with this type of lighting scenario.

cgbeige
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
So here's an example of what I mean by studio lighting techniques. I'm using white cards and gobos to bounce light back onto objects, appear in reflections and create shadows. If you put a similar reflector around dark areas of your scene (and set them to not have primary visibility), they'll help brighten areas without having to use a bunch of lights.

http://www.3eige.com/cgtalk/fieldtestinglights.jpg

http://www.3eige.com/cgtalk/fieldtesting_intro9.jpg

These are used in conjunction with the IBL but are easier to control and create nice light effects and cut out edges and details in your scene. The nice white highlight on the skull in the fiorito shot above is just a white card.

This isn't a final render - it's blown out and it's supposed to look more illustrative than like a photo.

Mrguy
08-14-2009, 06:52 AM
I can't thank you enough CGbeige for taking the time to continue posting to this thread. It really means a lot.

So you just make a white Lambert or black Lambert plane and apply where needed? Do you adjust how it's affected by FG in any way or any other attributes.

Hopefully tonight I'll get some more renders up.

Mrguy
08-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Well I didn't get much done. But here's some shots of the kitchen area. I want the kitchen to feel warm and the living room to feel cool... but I haven't done any lighting there yet.

Mainly it's just a few mia materials made and just showing the kitchen.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/kitchen_Aug_14th.jpg?t=1250238090

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/fridge_close.jpg?t=1250238091

cgbeige
08-15-2009, 01:26 AM
looking good - it needs more dynamic range for the final but the scale is good. I'd still make the floor planks smaller though.

So you just make a white Lambert or black Lambert plane and apply where needed? Do you adjust how it's affected by FG in any way or any other attributes.

I use surface shaders since they don't eat any light but ya, that's it. You need to turn off shadows and primary visibility for the reflectors in the Mental Ray node in the object's options so they don't get in the way (turn off Derive From Maya).

cheebamonkey
08-15-2009, 02:18 AM
I won't post links to maxwell, talk mindlessly about it, or post old images that need tweaking.. instead I'll direct the poster to the end all be all thead for interiors in MR:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=190232

Look there for an exhaustive thread on interiors. It's a great thread you could spend a bit of time in and come out it with a lot more information.

cgbeige
08-15-2009, 05:18 AM
ya, it's not like I'm giving him any real help here...

You really need to stop shitting on my posts. I'm beginning to think you like me in a grade four kind of way.

The last post in that thread is someone loving VRay - why don't you go follow him around like a ****ing angry child for a while. Or better yet - work on some portfolio. No one around here thinks you actually do anything other than complain about Macs.

Mrguy
08-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks cgbeige once I start adding the warm lights I'll start experimenting by lowering the photographic exposure effect and start messing around with white and black cards.

Thanks cheebamonkey I knew about that post but that's something you need a cup of coffee and a good amount of time to go through and read, which I haven't really had all that time to be able to do. But yes I am familiar with that thread. And not too sure where your coming from cheeba, I was the one that inquired more information about Maxwell, and Cgbeige has just been pointing me in the right direction... it's easy to just post a link, but it's hard to continually add to a thread even though the information is cover'd elseware. So if you have a problem with cgbeige or anyone else can you please take it somewhere else?

3d165p05
08-16-2009, 11:46 AM
did you tried Maya/Mental Ray Help file solution for wooden floor? It gives nice results.

"General Rules of Thumb for Glossy Wood, Flooring, etc.

This is the kind of "hybrid" materials one run into in many architectural renderings; lacquered wood, linoleum, etc.

For these materials brdf_fresnel should be off (i.e. we define a custom BRDF curve). Start out with brdf_0_degree_refl of 0.2 amd brdf_90_degree_refl of 1.0 and apply some suitable texture map to the diffuse. Set reflectivity around 0.5 to 0.8.

How glossy is the material? Is reflections very clear or very blurry? Are they Strong or Weak?

* For clear, fairly strong reflections, keep refl_gloss at 1.0

* For slightly blurry but strong reflections, set a lower refl_gloss value. If performance becomes an issue try using refl_interpolate.

* For slightly blurry but also very weak reflections one can often "cheat" by setting a lower refl_gloss value (to get the broader highlights) but set refl_samples value to 0. This shoots only one mirror ray for reflections - but if they are very weak, one can often not really tell.

* For medium blurry surfaces set an even lower refl_gloss and maybe increase the refl_samples. Again, for performance try refl_interpolate.

* For extremely blurry surfaces or surfaces with very weak reflections, try using the refl_hl_only mode.

A typical wooden floor could use refl_gloss of 0.5, refl_samples of 16, reflectivity of 0.75, a nice wood texture for diffuse, perhaps a slight bump map (try the no_diffuse_bump checkbox if bumpiness should appear only in the lacquer layer).

A linoleum carpet could use the same but with a different texture and bump map, and probably with a slightly lower reflectivity. and refl_gloss. "

Maya Help - Mental Ray - mental ray for Maya architectural guide - Tips & Tricks

By the way, it's very useful that mental ray for Maya architectural guide. If you want to know everything about mia_material than it's place to start. ;)

3d165p05
08-16-2009, 11:57 AM
And what is your light setup?
If you are using Portal Light u can get rid of that noise shadow by bumping up the High Samples in mental ray section of that area light (i sometimes use even 128 value, but it will increase your render time)

techmage
08-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Mrguy.

One thing. For doing archviz still shots set your AA settings to
min - 0, max - 2
jitter ON
filter - lanczos

for things like your shag carpet, or trees, you can adjust the per object max sampling rate to be 1

Mrguy
08-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks 3d165p05 I started in Maya 8.5 and found Maya Help to be ok... but now I've seen that they updated it quite a bit in 2009. I used that all day yesterday thanks! I did find that high samples value in the portal and have increased it to 64... I'll bump it up to 128 when I start doing the final renders thanks for that!

Very cool rygoody I did that for these renders.

I'm still trying to fix the outside picture. When there's good weather I'll go out and get some pictures. Also the Maya Fur wasn't being nice too, so I just took that out for the time being. The cushions on the couch are still the same, this week I'll model them more acurately and then bring them into zbrush. And the kitchen lighting is close but still needs work in th shaders and textures. And then I'll go in all over and start adding a little wear and tear.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/room_aug18.jpg?t=1250618531

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/dinning_aug18.jpg?t=1250618534

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/kitchen_aug18.jpg?t=1250618535

cgbeige
08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
looking great. I'd say just increase the AA for the fridge anisotropic metal texture. It's pretty noisy. And the pillows still look like play-doh and it detracts from the overall high quality. Otherwise, it looks really great.

I'd try and get some more shadow detail in the rug finals too.

InfernalDarkness
08-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Coming along very well. The hardwood floor is impeccable. The pillows' material is looking very nice too, and only some variations between the four would make 'em better.

As for the Fur carpet, honestly every time I see one of these, be it done with C4D, Maya, Max, whatever, they always look horrifically fake. The fibers are too long, too silly, and generally ruin the illusion of photorealism. I find your current rug to be just right, maybe a more interesting texture, but it looks much more convincing than any Fur-based rug I've seen.

The outside world is always a fun one to work on. Keep us posted! Great work on this scene.

Mrguy
08-20-2009, 07:52 PM
So I thing this shot is completed and will be moving on to finishing the kitchen.

I'm not gonna lie, I love my rug. :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/LRmainshot_render_SMLfinal_PS.jpg

3d165p05
08-20-2009, 08:06 PM
superb!!! :applause:

so, what's the secret about carpet? displacement? anything else?

live long & prosper :thumbsup:

p.s. waiting for the kitchen :bounce:

3d165p05
08-20-2009, 08:12 PM
p.s. Maybe it'd be better that background picture is a little bit blown out in brightest areas, but doesn't matter. btw, it's very lovely background :beer:

edit: One more thing. I showed your render to my roommate (she's not into 3D) and she pointed out to me that bump on the couch is to big (not that bump value is big, but size of the bumps is big - you should repeat texture a bit).
Still, the overall image quality is great :) (that's why I bothered my roommate to see it - and she loves it, too :) )

keep up the good work

Mrguy
08-21-2009, 09:11 AM
The carpet is a normal polymesh with a texture on it I made sure that the Filter Type was set to off because any other setting will slightly blur the texture.

Then I made like 15 cards(two polygons one for the base and one to create the round tip) and duplicated them and moved them around the edge equaling out to about 10,000 tris. I just made the cards to break up the edge that comes along with the simple poly mesh. And then ta-da carpet better then fur and better then createing like 30,000-40,000 fibers.

Yeahhh background I'm still not set on some time I'm gonna have to take a picture of San Jose. I agree with you on the bump map. I adjusted it when I was doing the small renders but when I rendered big and let it go over night I saw that I was a little off. So Yeah, good eye, I'll be fixing that.

cgbeige
08-21-2009, 06:19 PM
looks really great. I would just do a final retouch and colour tweak for style. It feels a bit CG right now still.

http://www.3eige.com/cgtalk/mrguyretouch.jpg

That might be too grainy and blown but I just did a quick filter to show how the contrast and more photo-ish response becomes kind of refreshing and unifies your palette (the background is blue-er than your interior). Take something like that and fade it into the original and you're good

Mrguy
08-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Made this for the Vray thread.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/rug_tut.jpg

Sincrol
08-25-2009, 01:06 AM
looking awesome man.

just add some fresnell on the sofa.

cgbeige
08-25-2009, 04:09 AM
ya, it needs more velvet reflection. I think Fresnel reflection is different from velvet style reflection at the edge though. With Fresnel, it reflects only what's away from the eye but velvet reflects all around the point since it's emulating a vertical fibre from that point. Am I wrong?

tuuhia
08-25-2009, 05:45 AM
there's some great mia_material preset here...http://www.mrmaterials.com...i found some really great cloth material...

Mrguy
08-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks sincrol.. yeah I was going to give that a shot tonight.

Your right CGbeige I'm going to try and make a regular Fresnel for it and see how that looks.

Hey tuuhia, I did come across this website but it mainly has max shaders not maya shaders. Unless I'm doing something wrong? Maya MR has only like 28 shaders. (2 cloth shaders)

tuuhia
08-25-2009, 06:25 PM
yes most of the shader are for max so i open them in max and copy to maya...a bit :D method...

Mrguy
08-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Did a little bit of tweaking.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/LRmainshot_render_final02_PS_sml.jpg

cgbeige
08-26-2009, 03:35 AM
nice - the couch looks great now. I'd just say that the background looks a bit blown out and too blue for the interior. It might be the quality of the shot too - it feels a bit JPEG

Mrguy
08-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Yeeahhh.. I'll figure something out. All I know is that next time if I do a room, you won't be able to see outside. That portion has been giving me the most trouble and aggravation.

Sybexmed
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Wow, one of the best interior mental ray render's i've seen. Can you share your settings?

Mrguy
08-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks Sybexmed, through there are some really great artists better then me out there (using mental ray). But thank you none the less. Now I need to learn Vray :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/lightandrender.jpg?t=1251002354

Kel Solaar
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Really nice render though as it has been already said you have a severeal problems with the background :

- Considering the Lighting your interior seems to be receiving a strong 12 hour or 13 hour Sun Light ( seeing the shadows contrast and sharpness on the floor and right sofa ) but your Background picture seems to be totally Overcast with no real lighting direction ( the walls of the buildings are equally lit with one no shadow at all ).

- The Background picture gives the feeling of being vertically compressed ( the buildings we can see fully seems to have been Y Axis Scaled :) ) and / or slightly horizontally motion blurred.

- There is an obvious Sharpness problem. Your Render is Crisp and Razor Sharp and your background seems be coming from some fast googling ( I'm not saying it's that bad but that's the feeling it gives). Something that would help immediatly is putting a strong but low radius unsharp mask filter on it.

To finish my blablah, the background is almost important as your render in this picture, considering it's taking about 40% of it ( you get my point :) )
Anyway that's a good work, showing a really impressive improvement since the begining. Keep it on !

KS

royter
10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Made this for the Vray thread.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/Mrguy45/rug_tut.jpg

do you have bump or displacement for the carpet or is tt just a diffuse texture?

Mrguy
10-06-2009, 01:29 AM
It just has a regular texture on it but changed the filter type to off. It looks good on still images but like hinted before it will flicker when your doing a move with the camera. So this works well if your doing a still image, but not when your moving.

I think you could potenially use a bump map instead of changine the filter type to add more varition.. but not sure.

Mrguy
10-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Really nice render though as it has been already said you have a severeal problems with the background :

- Considering the Lighting your interior seems to be receiving a strong 12 hour or 13 hour Sun Light ( seeing the shadows contrast and sharpness on the floor and right sofa ) but your Background picture seems to be totally Overcast with no real lighting direction ( the walls of the buildings are equally lit with one no shadow at all ).

- The Background picture gives the feeling of being vertically compressed ( the buildings we can see fully seems to have been Y Axis Scaled :) ) and / or slightly horizontally motion blurred.

- There is an obvious Sharpness problem. Your Render is Crisp and Razor Sharp and your background seems be coming from some fast googling ( I'm not saying it's that bad but that's the feeling it gives). Something that would help immediatly is putting a strong but low radius unsharp mask filter on it.

To finish my blablah, the background is almost important as your render in this picture, considering it's taking about 40% of it ( you get my point :) )
Anyway that's a good work, showing a really impressive improvement since the begining. Keep it on !

KS

Thanks much Kel, sorry I havent replyed soon I did read what you said but then school started and we instantly started jumping on a project.

The background comes from semi fast googleing. I went through about 4 different images and finally came to this one.. but yeah I couldn't agree with more.

When I get a chance I'll be revisiting this piece and fixing some of the problems.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2009, 02:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.