PDA

View Full Version : Ideas On How To Get Pants To Follow IK Legs?

damage inc
08-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I'm modifying a rig and that has a cylinder for the upper legs, a cylinder for lower legs, and a sphere for the knees. I modeled pants (solid geometry, not 3 separate) to fit over the original leg geometry and wrapped it to it. It works well enough except the knee won't hold its shape. When I add the sphere as an influence the knee streches all over and makes things worse.

Can anyone recommend an easy way to get the pants to follow the IK leg? I would have replaced the original geometry with the new except I don't know how to get the new geometry to follow the skeleton correctly. Therefor I just wanted to try a wrap deformer.

Thanks for any help.

mlefevre
08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Is the sphere parented to the one of the joints?

You might get a more realistic deformation if you use an aim constraint on 2 of the axis, and leave the 3rd, so the influence object doesn't rotate when the leg extends/compress.

I've attached a file if you want to take a look. I would have thought you'll need to do a bit of weighting to tidy the deformations up a little eventually.

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.