View Full Version : Game Dev App, 3D "RAD" for PC is now Freeware

Seraca
08-06-2009, 02:53 AM
For Commercial and Non Commercial Use.
Cheers

http://3drad.com/

R10k
08-06-2009, 02:55 AM
I posted that to the indie game dev thread the other day, but good to see its made it to news :) It's a good little program, despite the rough looking exterior. The developer is also a decent guy, looking to try a different business model to keep development going.

Hauzer
08-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Oh wow this is old program. I remember playing with this back in 2002. It was pretty powerful for such a small package, and should be of good use to indie developers and people just starting out with game programming.

R10k
08-07-2009, 02:39 AM
It's also good if you have a model you want to display in a realtime environment. The basic physics and camera models are solid, and work without almost any setup.

moogaloonie
08-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Oh wow this is old program. I remember playing with this back in 2002. It was pretty powerful for such a small package, and should be of good use to indie developers and people just starting out with game programming.

It is, however, an entirely new program based on the 3Impact engine. Development started around 2004-5, IIRC. It shares a similar RAD approach to visually placing game elements, but is much more modern with respect to shaders, physics, AI, input, pretty much everything really.

Would try it out, but it looks like either Unity or Shiva will be the one I end up going with.

R10k
08-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Would try it out, but it looks like either Unity or Shiva will be the one I end up going with.

I'm currently having a play with it while waiting for the Shiva 1.8 beta.

XDragon
08-09-2009, 03:00 AM
They really need to update the look of the website, it's been exactly the same since I first looked at it perhaps more than 5 years ago, could help to attract new users (does anyone care about the origional 3Impact engine anymore?)

Also when first reading about the monthly updates I was surprised, I really thought this was abandoned before then. At least they now have it free, gives indie users more choice, but still it would help if the creator made a long reel of many different types of gameplay with it featuring games in completed states (and as I mentioned before update the website)

moogaloonie
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
They really need to update the look of the website, it's been exactly the same since I first looked at it perhaps more than 5 years ago, could help to attract new users (does anyone care about the origional 3Impact engine anymore?)

Also when first reading about the monthly updates I was surprised, I really thought this was abandoned before then. At least they now have it free, gives indie users more choice, but still it would help if the creator made a long reel of many different types of gameplay with it featuring games in completed states (and as I mentioned before update the website)

Good question, I wonder if there are still many active 3Impact users...

Free, but not open.

R10k
08-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Are you talking about 3drad.com or...?

...but still it would help if the creator made a long reel of many different types of gameplay with it featuring games in completed states (and as I mentioned before update the website)

Try the samples that come with it (also, see Youtube for a few user videos, which are pretty interesting).

Hauzer
08-26-2009, 06:12 AM
I know this thread is kinda old, but I had intended to come back with pictures of the OLD 3DRad just to demonstrate how far it's come since I played with the free version back in 2002.

I found 3DRad 3.0 Free on an ancient CDR of mine and it still works! (just requires an old DX file)

Here are some screenshots, just for fun. These screenshots are in no way indicative of the current engine, and in fact, 3D Rad appears to behave totally different today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Howitzer/3dradfree30.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Howitzer/3dradfree30-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/Howitzer/3dradfree30-3.jpg

16 bit at 640x480 - amazing! This used to run really bad on my old computer at the time because it had an ATI-Trio, which came about before the Rage series.

R10k
08-26-2009, 06:30 AM
Heh, nice pics :) It sure has come a long way.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2009, 06:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.