PDA

View Full Version : AVI wirter for nuke 5.1

tex1820
08-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi all, I am have some trouble finding an AVI writer plug-in for Nuke 5.1, I thought it would come with one but i guess not :/ Anyone know where on the web i can find one? I have googled every forum i could find

James S

beaker
08-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Nuke doesn't write avi files. You would have to write your own plugin to do this. Why in the world do you need to write to avi?

Njen
08-23-2009, 11:42 AM
For the same reason you would want to write to a quicktime.

For instance, When I submit my comp through my custom script to Backburner, The script then automatically submits a second comp that is dependent on the first to finish, and makes a QT from the rendered image sequence of the first comp.

Aneks
08-25-2009, 10:01 AM
but seriously Ryan, who in their right mind is using avi in production ? What is is the use of a low res movie file that you cant frame by fame and that only plays back reliably (and I use the term loosely) in Windows ??!

it has literally been years since I have been in a windows based produciton environment......

Njen
09-01-2009, 06:26 AM
People that have lower end systems like me who are making short animated films at home.

I can't play back a 500+ frame shot of full res HD frames on my system. So I create a half res version so I can reliably view and certainly I can frame by frame through if I have to.

It all works perfectly fine for me.

Do you mean to tell me that if you quickly wanted to check the motion of something in a shot, that you would wait a minute or two for the full res frames to load up into Framecycler every time? That seems like a waste of time to me.

And when you have 200+ shots that you are comping all by yourself, it becomes necessary to have a quick and fast way to view shots, that's why I render a half res version of each one. If I didn't do that, then my work flow would be seriously slowed down. I can't count the number of times I open and close those half res versions to quickly check things every day.

So the question is not why would you want to make a lower res movie version of your shot, but why wouldn't you?

Tagger
09-01-2009, 07:17 AM
with the latest 5.2 update you can use ffmpeg to read and write avi i think

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2009, 07:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.