PDA

View Full Version : BSP2 problems in Maya?

InTerceptoV
08-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey people... I was just wondering if there are any problems in Maya when using BSP2 and image motion blur? In Max, BSP2 works fine till the moment when you try to do image motion blur on image, or if you try to output motion vectors... at that point MR completely slow down, plus the memory is going up drastically compared to pure BSP2 without any motion blur (like it's building some kind of scanline data???)

What's funny is that they killed Large BSP which was working ok for more complex scenes, and now we are stuck with BSP2, which is still buggy.

But before I blame Mentalray for this, I wanted to know if this is happening in Maya so that I know if it is MR or integration problem in Max?

BTW I was working on forest, initial objects were around 200 000 polys, instanced several thousand times.

Thanks.

techmage
08-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't know about your specific bug. But I have ruled out BSP2 for my current projects due to it having other bugs.

InTerceptoV
08-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know about your specific bug. But I have ruled out BSP2 for my current projects due to it having other bugs.

I agree... on last project I tried to use it with rasterizer on one huge scene, but once I switched to BSP2 it instantly crashed max, so I gave up in the end. I wasn't able to pinpoint that specific bug, but I will try to check it in the future.
The great thing about BSP2 is that particle instancing works great... you can basically have million trees rendered with 1 gig of ram, and you don't need any proxies or assemblies, it works with simple instancing.

I wish all these new features are production ready, but... it's buggy world out there! :)

techmage
08-07-2009, 06:50 PM
hopefully this is fixed in 2010....

it should be. How could it not?

it is autodesk though

Although I'm partially relieved BSP2 is fubar in 3DS as well. I've been debating all week if I should go back to 3DS max in order to use proxies and BSP2 in combination. But now I'll stay with maya.

Cheesestraws
08-07-2009, 06:54 PM
hopefully this is fixed in 2010....

it should be. How could it not?

it is autodesk though

If it is a bug in Max and Maya then surely it is a mental ray bug in which case it is mental images that need to fix it?

techmage
08-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I dunno. Supposedly mib_binaryproxy + BSP2 work in max just fine. But not in maya. Atleast that issue is on autodesks side.

InTerceptoV
08-11-2009, 03:04 AM
I dunno. Supposedly mib_binaryproxy + BSP2 work in max just fine. But not in maya. Atleast that issue is on autodesks side.

It works just fine until you want to do some sort of motion blur, and then it becomes useless... specially if it is a high density mesh that you are instancing.

I tried same stuff in VRay, and it works perfectly... it doesn't matter if you are using image motion blur or not, it just takes 1 sec to do motion blur post effect on VRays image, and it doesn't use 5x times more memory when you turn on MBlur.

So Maya has the same behavior?... just do a simple test, one teapot with 200 000 polys, instance it 100 times, switch to BSP2 and it should work fine... then put the HDR image motion blur shader and render again... do you get same render time and memory usage or?

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2009, 03:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.