PDA

View Full Version : unloading Renderman for Maya references?

cgbeige
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
It seems like if you have RfM loaded when creating scenes, it attaches itself to the scenes regardless of whether or not you add RfM nodes or not. Can you delete all references so it doesn't load like this?

joie
08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
It does happen with any renderer you may have, not only RFM.

I guess you can save the scene in ASCII format and delete any RFM references you find when you open it in the notepad.

cgbeige
08-07-2009, 07:27 PM
ah - good call. thx

the problem though with RfM is that if the plug-in is loaded, it latches onto scenes instantly, without being used so any project you open in the course of having it loaded instantly need it or pop up an error message at the start. It's like a software virus.

2stepdmb
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure I totally understand the issue, but if you set the environment variable "RFM_PLUGIN_NOLOAD" to 1, this will prevent RFM from loading automatically. Does that help with your issue?

Ian

cgbeige
08-08-2009, 02:27 AM
well I can set it to not load on launch but what I'm saying is that if I am using it in one scene and then open another, it attaches itself to the new one even without being used. If I sent this scene out, people would get an Error message telling them data was missing. So you're forced to relaunch Maya with it unloaded to keep things clean or manually clean up the .ma file.

2stepdmb
08-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, like joie said this isn't unique to RfM. Customers send us scene files all of the time where it tries to load a plugin that we don't have, resulting in lots of error messages.

Ian

cgbeige
08-18-2009, 02:11 AM
ya, I know but like I said, with RfM it's particularly annoying since it instantly latches onto files without even being invoked. It just has to be loaded and then it will auto load when any scene that has the info in it so it's this cyclical problem. With Maxwell or Realflow or other plug-ins, they don't instantly drop attributes into a file if they're loaded into memory.

tharrell
08-18-2009, 05:30 AM
RFM works kinda like Shave that way. I've gotten in the habit of just saving as .ma files by default so I can strip the cruft out of files that don't need it.... well and fire up the ol text editor on the (rarer these days) occasions when Maya pukes all over its own .mb's.

I haven't bought all the same plugs between my macs & win boxes, so I get to see what you're experiencing pretty often. Come to think of it, I can't think of a plugin that I use regularly that doesn't do that. Shave does, 3DL does, RFM does... MR does too. I seem to recall blastcode and Turtle doing it back in the day as well.

Just be glad that it's not leaving all kinds of nodes littered hidden in your scene I guess :thumbsup:

Textmate is awesome at opening ginormous ascii files... better than BBEdit in fact, and it's a dream to work in if you haven't tried it.

--T

cgbeige
08-18-2009, 06:36 AM
blast code has a nice Delete Blast Code references button so it clears the cruft. I wish more devs did this.

The .ma thing is what I'll do but I hate using .ma because the saves are literally twice as long. It's like it spends a lot of time thinking at the end saves - the files aren't that much bigger

Cheesestraws
08-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Open up the plugin manager and hover over the i next to the RfM plugin. That should have a list of commands that it implements, maybe one of them will do what you need.

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2009, 08:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.