PDA

View Full Version : Blender 2.5 Release Date

rock
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
From the Blender Institute Press Release:

The Blender Foundation issued a press release at SIGGRAPH yesterday with information on Blender 2.5 and its relation to Durian. For the first time ever, an expected release date was included! New Release offers a new interface with full customization and a completely revamped animation system

New Orleans, August 03 Siggraph 2009 The Blender Foundation, the organization behind the free and open source 3D creation suite Blender, today unveiled the result of the Blender 2.5 project, a fully customizable interface layout system, with advanced access to all tools and options Blender offers.

During an almost two year process of design, review, and artist feedback, the Blender team has implemented a new core architecture for Blender. The key changes involve a high level of configurability of the interface and the ways tools are used, and a further elaboration of the original non-overlapping and non-blocking parallel working UI system. All of the interface elements in Blender are now defined using a scriptable layout engine, with scripted access to all of the data Blender provides. Keyboard layouts for hot keys and user input can be changed on the fly, including definition of macros, and reapplying tools with adjusted settings. Blender 2.50 also provides a upgraded animation system. Now every setting and option can be animated via function curves, higher level actions, the non-linear animation mixer, or scripting.

Blender Foundation is also preparing the third Open Movie project, "Durian", which will explore epic action content in 4k digital cinema. Six artists and two developers will work in the studio of Blender Institute, for a period of 6-8 months. A key goal of Durian is to ensure that Blender 2.5 series is production ready.

The first of the official 2.5 versions will be released in October, during the 8th annual Blender Conference in Amsterdam. The Blender team plans to give regular updates, with the 2.5 project to be completed with the Durian film premiere in 2nd quarter 2010.

Geta-Ve
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
That is not even NEARLY a release date. More like a Best Estimate of the Eventual Release...

From what I read, and interpretted, it sounds like October is simply the month of the alpha/betas or what have you, and the final 2.5 will be next year.

Nemoid
08-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Blender improved alot since when they're testing it making those movie projects. It was brilliant idea, because developers can get mmediate feedback from real artists.

Mainly people complains about Blender awkward UI/workflow, and now the team gives them customizability. Good thing!.

If UI and workflow will improve, for a fast working method, Blender 2.5 will get more accepted.
It is a fantastic(and free ) solution for all 3d artists.

Even if it will be there in 2010...

thatoneguy
08-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Mainly people complains about Blender awkward UI/workflow, and now the team gives them customizability. Good thing!.

Definitely a good thing. But I hope they don't use flexibility as a cop-out to solve more fundamental workflow problems than button and menu placement.

MooseDog
08-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Definitely a good thing. But I hope they don't use flexibility as a cop-out to solve more fundamental workflow problems than button and menu placement.

chk it out yourself (http://www.graphicall.org/builds/) instead of just hoping. give 2.5 a test run, get development builds for free.

From what I read, and interpretted, it sounds like October is simply the month of the alpha/betas or what have you, and the final 2.5 will be next year.

instead of speculating, download (http://www.graphicall.org/builds/)development builds for free (which are at this point way beyond alpha).

Stankluv
08-06-2009, 04:12 AM
I have never touched blender really, but I am excited to read about its development. Someday, we will all wake up and say, "holycow, that huge freaking movie with awesome cg, that made a buttload of money was made with that freeware?!?!"

Good luck!!!

Bellorum
08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Work is progressing fast, and Im not at all surprised by an october release date. However, to clear a few things out - the first 2.5 release (as I understand it), will be workable (it will have to be, since theyre using it for Project Durian), though as far as features and UI, nothing is set in stone. Im in doubt as to whether Bmesh (n-gons) will be finished, though its progressing nicely (user testing probable in a couple of weeks), and Im really interested in seeing Freestyle (for NPR rendering), and the new nurbs tools included - none of these tools are official 2.5 targets anyway, though Id like them to be - but Id much rather wait another month than getting the features halfbaked. Personally, I find official releases nice, because they usually come with some documentation but as long as I can play with the unoffical builds from SVN Im happy=)

So, in short, as much as I like official release I would much rather call this a "Preview Release of the 2.5 series".. but that doesnt mean its "unfinished", softwares are always evolving.. it just means "this is what we have finished for you know - more coming your way soon;-)"

verb3k
08-06-2009, 10:05 PM
2 confirmed features of 2.5 will be smoke simulation and volumetric rendering. As far as other features are concerned, I don't mind waiting, just like Bellorum said, it's better to wait than get the features before they are ready.

Geta-Ve
08-07-2009, 05:41 AM
instead of speculating, download (http://www.graphicall.org/builds/)development builds for free (which are at this point way beyond alpha).

How does interpretation = speculation?

Just curious?

Also, thanks for the link.

TetraLynx
07-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Is it safe to assume that the next big release won't be until Siggraph?

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2010, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.