PDA

View Full Version : simulating magnetic/electro motor

webster
08-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Hi everybody,

Id like to simulate an electro-motor with some little real-world-physics.

As many of You will know, an electro-motor is made of an rotor and a stator. Normally, the stator has static magnet, while the rotor is made of copper-"cables" where the electricity passes thru (which also is a magnet, but you can regulate its magnetic force and so the engine is faster or has more power).

Now I would visualize this magnetic force between rotor and stator. But it need also real-world - behaviour.

So my first thought is to use active (rotor) / passiv (stator) rigid bodies for the real-world stuff, and particles for the magnetic force. My goal is, to get some new attributes (Volt, Ampere, Distance between rotor and stator, etc) on eg. an Locator which are connect to different attributes of the Act/Pass-RiBo with SetDrivenKeys. As the particle-simulation derivers and is dependend from the magnets, they are also connected to different attributes of the A/P-RiBo

Easier said:
Locator with new attr. ---> real-world simulation with A/P-RiBo ---> Particles for magnetic-force visualization

Any ideas to my thoughts ??
Does anyone have experience with real-world simulations in Maya

daniloxl
08-07-2003, 01:38 PM
In your case I think you should forget active and passive rigid bodies because rotor and stator are not touching each other.
Your solution is in .mel script.
Add some new attributes to your rotor and stator objects and link them with some math formulas via .mel.
If I knew the formula for rotor speed by heart I could help you in writing that expression but unfortunatly I don't...but let's try improvising...
Let's asume that speed=U/I (I know it's not..it's resistance but let's asume)
You could add 2 float attributes to rotor object "volt" & "amper" and write a simple expression like:
$v=rotor.volt;
$i=rotor.amper;
rotor.rotateZ=$v/$i;
This way you can add all the neccesery attributes to your objects and then calculate voltage,resistance,etc...and use it to drive the rotation speed of your rotor...
Hope this brings some ideas...
Good luck

webster
08-07-2003, 01:59 PM
MEL ? Well, i never thought about it :rolleyes:

Sounds benissimo.
:thumbsup:

Mille Grazie

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.