PDA

View Full Version : 1 minute animation = 3 gigs!!! Help appreciated.

NicoAdri
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi,

I have rendered a 1 minute animation (1080 * 607) of an architectural project and it's come out as an avi at 3.6 gigabytes.

Can anyone recommend settings that would give good quality but not be quite so huge?

TIA

Adri

depotVisuals
08-04-2009, 10:44 AM
hi NicoAdri

did you render out your 3,6 gig animation from your 3d app or from after effects?

to get smaller file size, you put your animation sequence or the avi into after effects and create a new composition.

then, i recommend to use the render queue to render your movie.
here is an explanation on how to use the render queue:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/help.html?content=WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79e6.html

the important part is to set the output module right.
there, under "format" your can specify your animation fileformat.
and with "format settings" you can specify the codec which will compress your movie.

which fileformat you should use depends on your purpose (internet or presentation...)
if you want to have an avi. you can choose "video for windows" from the "format" pulldown menu and choose the divX codec from "format settings"

to start rendering you have to push the render button in the render queue panel.

i hope this will help

suztv
08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
At that size - 1 minute is usually around 3 GB uncompressed. Now depending on what you are going to use it for you may need to consider compressing it. But I wouldn't suggest using After Effects for that process because of it's tendency to crash on output when compressing files (esp. certain avi or wmv codecs). If you are rendering for final output to then compress - uncompressed avi or quicktime is the way to go. However - I use the quicktime Animation codec because it compresses the file slightly (enough to cut the size down to a more manageable size) and there is no discernable difference between that codec and the uncompressed codec - at least to the human eye.

Compression routes and formats:

Always start with an uncompressed or Animation codec Quicktime.

For avi, wmv and mpeg - use TMPEG. It is by far the best compressor for these formats and will give you astounding results. The price tag on this isn't horrible and the interface is rather simple. We use it where I work to compress those formats and the control over kbps, sound, video etc., is bar none.

For quicktime - use Quicktime Pro. The price on this one is only $30 USD and it will enable you to compress to several formats as well. This is the best way to compress to MP4 and H264 format - this is the same format used by the movie industry to post trailers on the internet. Very high quality and a small file size. If you're on a mac there are plug-in you can buy to export out to avi and wmv - but please note that playback may be spotty on different machines because of how it encodes those formats.

For FLV or SWF - Use Flix Pro. A little pricey but well worth it. You can handle various formats and export to FLVs or SWFs that will be useable by Flash or HTML. Most people have this player in their browser so it is by far the most universal format if you plan on displaying your work on the internet.

If you are uploading to YouTube or Vimeo - pay attention to their upload requirements. They can usually handle large files but it might be wise to render out to Quicktime JPEG format - especially if your connection isn't very fast.

Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.