PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Europe profiles Darkside Animation

BeeVee
08-01-2003, 03:00 PM
Hi all,

I chatted all this week with Andy Bishop who has long been known in UK LightWave circles and started a business called Darkside Animation some time back. They are engaged in creating three feature films, effects for a TV programme and several adverts, but even so Andy took time out to talk to me. He also gave us a scene and objects, along with a tutorial to show an effect he did for British TV series The Bill with a fireball rushing down the corridor of a police station.

You can read the interview here: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/darkside/1.html

N

Howzat
08-04-2003, 05:03 AM
Great interview Ben, it looks like Darkside do some pretty awesome work :eek:
Very nice of them to share that scene as well.

BeeVee
08-04-2003, 08:08 AM
They do indeed. The main problem with the interview was getting Andy to shut up! There was honestly far too much material for one profile, so we will be talking to him again for the website in October/November to cover his Powers TV series work.

B

lildragon
08-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Awesome stuff there Ben, I plugged it on cgnetworks.com, get will to put it up here also.

-lild

policarpo
08-04-2003, 09:36 PM
I've always liked what i've seen from Darkside...it's good to see them finally get the coverage they deserve!

I just love the Land Rover and Mixing board images....so tight!!

leigh
08-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Awesome interview :thumbsup: I have seen quite a lot of their work before, never knew of them though until now :)
Big props for the explosion scene file :D

BeeVee
08-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks Leigh. I've got Andy to write a tutorial on the most realistic depth charge I've ever seen - all created in LW. We'll post that shortly. Tito: I think William has a real down on CGTalk at the moment, so it's unlikely he'll plug anything on here, so if you wouldn't mind... :)

With Andy Bishop, he's so prolific that a lot of the ads he's shown come as a complete surprise.

Hey Policarpo, as for the mixing board, I'm sure commercial long-haul pilots have enough to do without mixing records since that's part of the flight deck of a Boeing 777! :) LOL

B

yog
08-05-2003, 10:07 AM
After seeing Andy demo on a number of occassions I can well believe that you had problems getting hime to "shut up". The phrase human dynamo comes to mind ;)

BeeVee
08-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Back when I was editor of 3D World, I thought it would be a good idea to get our staff familiar with what the magazine was about. I asked representatives of various 3D software companies to come and demo to us, but the only one that actually worked out was Andy visiting on behalf of NewTek. I had asked him to go easy on them since most of my staff knew nothing about 3D at all - it was more important that they know how to lay out a magazine! Anyway, he came along and brought his machine and a Wacom tablet with him. I asked him to just show some very simple stuff that could carry across the board to other 3D applications and he went off on one, showing them how to make flying logos, HyperVoxels, all about HDR imagery and so on.

The flying logo thing was a real eye opener for them. He created a logo from an EPS of something in about five seconds. Then he put it at the start and end of an animation timeline and keyframed it in the start and end positions, then just spun it moved it in and out so that the path was interesting. He showed them the final animation of the flying logo, explained that it would have to be tweaked and finally rendered, which would probably take four hours of stuff the computer can do on its own, and their jaws dropped open when he concluded by saying "...and there you go, that'll be two grand for that please". :)

B

policarpo
08-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BeeVee

Hey Policarpo, as for the mixing board, I'm sure commercial long-haul pilots have enough to do without mixing records since that's part of the flight deck of a Boeing 777! :) LOL

B

doh!

i haven't had much sleep the past week. cheers! that should teach me to look before i speak.

cool either way.:beer:

BeeVee
08-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Who can tell the difference except commercial airline pilots and DJs? :)

B

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.