PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk annouces Mudbox 2010

egarreau
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Today at SIGGRAPH, Autodesk launched Mudbox 2010.

The feature highlights of this release are:

- FBX support: import and export meshes, object names, cameras, texture maps, shader settings with 3ds Max, Maya and Softimage.

- PSD file support: export your Mudbox 3D View as PSD, at a user defined screen resolution for image editing, color correction, pattern creation, text or decals. Auto re-project saved changes inside Mudbox 2010, across multiple objects and multiple high res texture maps in your scene. Also new to this release, Mudbox 2010 2D texture layers can be exported to PSD allowing you to paint in a flattened texture space. Once 2D edits have been made, the Mudbox layer can be updated to receive the changes.

- Render from viewport: render high resolution images directly from the viewport for presentation.

-New viewport filters: preview the appearance of your model when rendered in another application using the non-photorealistic render filter, the normal map filter, and other new filters.

- New brushes: try the clone brush, dry brush and improved wax brush

- SDK: customize Mudbox using the new C++ application programming interface (API) to integrate it into your pipelines.

- Painting Tools & Workflows Enhancements (http://jprdintprev.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13565928&preview=1#channels_Core%20Features)

If you are at Siggraph, don't miss Wayne Robson's Master Class (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13566979): Advanced Autodesk Mudbox tips & workflows.

Autodesk anticipates that Mudbox 2010 will be available in August 2009. The 32-bit version of Mudbox 2010 will be supported on the Windows Vista Business (SP1), Windows XP Professional (SP2) and Apple Mac OS X 10.5.7 operating systems. The 64-bit version of Mudbox 2010 will be supported on the Windows Vista Business (SP1) and Windows XP x64 Edition (SP2) operating systems.

More info on :

www.autodesk.com/mudbox (http://www.autodesk.com/mudbox)

http://www.the-area.com/blogs/davec/ (http://www.the-area.com/blogs/davec/)

skycastle
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
More info can be found here
Images and videos here (http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/davec/autodesk_launches_mudbox_2010)

Enjoy

vfx
08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Nice find thanks SkyCastle!

Finally a clone brush :P Was so looking forward to that being released! Nice to see some hard surface image examples in there too - I like using mudbox as my 3d paint tool rather than looking for another program (i.e. bodypaint3d) as it keeps the workflow much more simple. Great additions fellas!

aghill
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Ehh.. nice update. wow. I love the dry-brush thingie. So many nice updates!

hanskloss
08-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I was expecting a little more than that. Dry brush and clone look great. Any word on when can we expect retopologizing tools and maybe contextual menus a la SketchBook Pro?

skycastle
08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
New cool free stuff created using the SDK by Wayne Robson.

Mudbox to other apps plugin preview
Mudwalker Video (http://vimeo.com/5911560)

Mudbox to After FX preview for relighting
ReLight Video (http://www.vimeo.com/5912529)

skycastle
08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Also you will now be able to get Mudbox 2010 with Max and Maya. Not sure if you knew....

Link to the software (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13420613)

Array
08-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Merged the two threads to prevent crosstalk :)

hanskloss
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Dave, will the SDK be released as well?
Mudwalker is a great addition:) It will definitely come in handy!

SheepFactory
08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
New cool free stuff created using the SDK by Wayne Robson.

Mudbox to other apps plugin preview
Mudwalker Video (http://vimeo.com/5911560)

Is there a version with subtitles? :D

skycastle
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Dave, will the SDK be released as well?
Mudwalker is a great addition It will definitely come in handy!

Yes the SDK is there ready to use. Be cool to see what other come up with and share.

Nice possibilities to interop with 3dsMax and Maya in a meaningful way. Plus really get Mudbox 2010 going on existing pipelines you may have.

ha-dou-ken
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
sweeeeet!

That one click solution is aaawesome. We have a maya guy, a modo guy, and max guys. This will help a LOT!

FRimasson
08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
So, you're not able to import blendshapes stored in a FXB file ?

Seraca
08-03-2009, 08:17 PM

C'mon Be Nice now.....

mushroomgod
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM

subtitles for his accent or subtitles for his paranoid ramblings? :curious:

SheepFactory
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
C'mon Be Nice now.....

I thought the inclusion of smiley made it clear it was a tongue in cheek joke but I guess not.

skycastle
08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
So, you're not able to import blendshapes stored in a FXB file ?

Yes if you have blendshapes on your mesh in Maya then import that saved mesh as FBX ,Mudbox 2010 will convert each blendshape into a 3d Sculpt Layer. And If you have a mesh in Mudbox with Sculpt layers then export as FBX that file will load into Maya and have a blend shape node with all the Sculpt Layer deltas as blendshape sliders.

So Sculpt Layer to Blendshape and back.

Nice for sculpting blendshape targets and saves you a bit of time on setup. Of course you can expand any of this using the SDK.

Cheesestraws
08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
So Sculpt Layer to Blendshape and back.

That is a nice feature, I knew I wasn't talking rubbish when I said FBX would be good for the interchange format. I guess this will work with any application with a decent FBX import/export then?

Nice for sculpting blendshape targets and saves you a bit of time on setup. Of course you can expand any of this using the SDK.

Will the SDK documentation be uploaded soon? I am curious what the SDK is like.

DarthWayne
08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Remember one very important thing...these plugins are free. Use them or not, its up to you and to be frank it makes not a jot of difference to me either way if you do or dont as neither will stop further developement.

Its a safe bet the version you use when you have a copy of mudbox 2010 in your hands will have stuff in these videos do not show.

Wayne...

SheepFactory
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Remember one very important thing...these plugins are free. Use them or not, its up to you and to be frank it makes not a jot of difference to me either way if you do or dont as neither will stop further developement.

Its a safe bet the version you use when you have a copy of mudbox 2010 in your hands will have stuff in these videos do not show.

Wayne...

The plugins support mac version as well right?

From the videos they look great, glad to see mudbox get this functionality sooner rather than later.

skycastle
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Will the SDK documentation be uploaded soon? I am curious what the SDK is like.

Yea very very soon it will be live. Check back next week.

Seraca
08-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I thought the inclusion of smiley made it clear it was a tongue in cheek joke but I guess not.

I know you were joking Sheep
i just meant be nice to our "English"??:eek:
Speaking Cousins from
across the pond.

cheers

DarthWayne
08-03-2009, 10:42 PM
The plugins support mac version as well right?

From the videos they look great, glad to see mudbox get this functionality sooner rather than later.

By the time you have mudbox 2010 in your hands, yes they will. (Even though I dont own a Mac.)

Wayne...

hanskloss
08-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Will "Mudwalker" be available when Mudbox 2010 ships or later? I'm excited to have the ability to work with image planes in Mudbox. Yea, finally!

vfx
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Great work Wayne! You and autodesk are truely turning Mudbox into my fav app! Hands down some of the best and cleanest tool development I've seen for sometime.

1. Some questions re MudWalker, when you're importing the model into say Maya, is it coming in with the shader thats setup in Mud, or is it just creating say a lambert and applying a diffuse texture?

2. Does Mudwalker handle displacements?

Spinmaster? = 360 turntables? Hope so :P
You've managed to fill the gaps with all the problems Mud had with taking your model beyond design phase. Just need a MR render in there now lol.

DarthWayne
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Will "Mudwalker" be available when Mudbox 2010 ships or later? I'm excited to have the ability to work with image planes in Mudbox. Yea, finally!

Its ready now, already compiled etc so soonas mud is in your hands, so will MudWalker and ReLight.

Great work Wayne! You and autodesk are truely turning Mudbox into my fav app! Hands down some of the best and cleanest tool development I've seen for sometime.

Well the SDK allows user to take control of the features they want to add to mudbox. As I'm a 'lone gunman' I dont have release schdules or shareholders to keep happy. so I can add stuff at my own pace. :)

1. Some questions re MudWalker, when you're importing the model into say Maya, is it coming in with the shader thats setup in Mud, or is it just creating say a lambert and applying a diffuse texture?

2. Does Mudwalker handle displacements?

1 the Mudbox shader that you set up is transferred and translated so that it looks the same.

2 - A request from one of my beta testers at pixar has asked fr just that.... so its being worked on although there is an easy work around that I'lll outline after release. ;)
(Mainly as adding this means I'll have to rewrite the entire baking side for disp maps....)

Spinmaster? = 360 turntables? Hope so :P
You've managed to fill the gaps with all the problems Mud had with taking your model beyond design phase. Just need a MR render in there now lol.

Yes... turntables...but this is aiming for what I call 'Turntables ...PLUS'. There's one kink left to sort then it'll be ready for release. Although I may put a quick and dirty version out to tide peole over while I add the bells and whistles.

Wayne...

TheWraith
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
is this going to work with mudbox 2009? we just got max 2010 like two weeks ago and we're still not using it so who knows when/if we'll get mudbox 2010 where i work!

DarthWayne
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
is this going to work with mudbox 2009? we just got max 2010 like two weeks ago and we're still not using it so who knows when/if we'll get mudbox 2010 where i work!

Plugins made using the sdk wont work for 2009 as there was no sdk support in that build. Hence there was no way to make MudWalker or ReLight backwards compatible.

Wayne...

Threedeemer
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
After seeing mudbox to Headus UV Layout and Topogun; As farfetched as it seems maybe one day we will get mudbox to zbrush and vice-versa.

DarthWayne
08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
After seeing mudbox to Headus UV Layout and Topogun; As farfetched as it seems maybe one day we will get mudbox to zbrush and vice-versa.

I could implement that inside of 24 hours using existing classes and functions I've written..but I wont. (Mainly as it'd be the quickest way to make both companies a wee bit angry and I value what's left of my career lol :) )

Wayne...

ha-dou-ken
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
SPINMASTER!!??

I love you Wayne...in a Martin Luther King way. :applause:

DarthWayne
08-04-2009, 09:20 PM
SPINMASTER!!??

I love you Wayne...in a Martin Luther King way. :applause:

I'm glad you added the last part..of my wife would get worried lol.

Wayne...

kiwi
08-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Nice one Wayne.

Any reason no 64bit offering for the Mac platform? I was really looking forward to chucking heaps of ram at mud for a change :sad:

Mud will be released before 10.6 is out.So I guess a change of heart for AD is not in the cards either.

Ballo
08-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Nice! But I was hoping for topology tools.

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2009, 12:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.