PDA

View Full Version : Number of constrains in different rigs - Hereīs a list

Leffler
08-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Hello again,

I made a little list with how many constrains there are in some of the more "common" free rigs out there. I made the list just to compare with my own latest rig(with 92 constrains), but maybe itīs interesting for you guys too.

Here is the list:

Andy: 22
JJ (from the AFR tutorials): 32
Acme: 70
Moom: 107
LowMan (the grey one): 109
Alfred: 123
Packageman: 134
Blake: 165
LowMax(the brown one): 215
IK Joe: 276
Animatik: 379
Teddy: 720

Of course speed in a rig depends on alot of other diffent things:
* Number of expressions
* Textures
* Geometry resolution
* Segmented geo or smooth bound geo
* Deformers for the geometry
* etc, the list goes on and on ...

In my experience, the JJ-rig by Jason Schleifer is the KING of speed. Itīs wicked fast! On my slow computer, the frame-rate almost never goes below 40fps! Itīs a pretty complicated rig and he still get that speed ... impressive. The pros know how to do it I guess :)

Finally, I donīt want anyone to take the list as critique to your rig. If you donīt want to be on the list, let me know. I just think itīs interesting.

The script I used for finding out.

//list all constrains in the scene, and print out the names and number
//It asumes that the constrain-nodes are not renamed, but thatīs not something anyone does as far as I know

select -r ("*Constraint1");
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;

for($x=0;$x<size($sel);$x++)
{

print ("Name: " + $sel[$x] + ", nr: " + $x + "\n");
};

mlefevre
08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Woohoo, second to last! ...giggity.

uiron
08-05-2009, 08:55 AM
major problems of rig's speed does not come from amount of constraints used. in my practice (that's maya) most of the bottlenecks are geometry deformation related. that's why we're moving far away from the concept that animator is seeing same geometry that will be rendered, and using two completely different rigs (swapped via references), one build for speed, one for rendering.

more on topic, you'd get more precise results with "ls -type constraint".

theflash
08-05-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree. The high geometry and deformation is the one that really starts slowing things down. I don't think constraint alone even with probably few hundred can slow things down, however optimization is always desired.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2009, 09:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.