PDA

View Full Version : Maya Fires glow leve and reflections

Zerafian
08-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Right now Im having trouble figuring out where, if there are any, controls for mayas fire glow levels. If someone knows where it might be that would be awesome. Im also looking to have the fire reflect off of metallic surfaces and at the moment I havent found anything in the render settings that would alow this.

heres a sample pic. Im looking to have the flames reflect of the armor and the glow level reduced significantly, its almost blinding.

thanks for any help you can be
http://i25.tinypic.com/bgsh2t.jpg

phix314
08-05-2009, 12:14 AM
How are you creating the fire? Particles? Fluids? Texture?

sundialsvc4
08-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Umm... ain't no law on the books that says that "the fire" must actually be "the source of illumination!"

Imagine this: the fire is there, as (say) "a particle-system of brightly-colored particles, smoke and all that jazz." But it isn't, from the computer's point-of-view, the actual "source of illumination!"

Meanwhile, inside of all that is a light-bulb. 'cept you cannot see that light-bulb even though you are "looking straight at it." And the light bulb, even though it's sitting inside of a mess o'particles, magically does not shine upon those particles and is not attenuated nor deflected by them.

Meanwhile, there's an entirely separate bank of white spotlights that are shining straight down, magically illuminating only the suit of armor even though such an effect is absurd to contemplate in the actual world.

Lessee... the human eye naturally expects some amount of yellow light "from the fire" to be reflecting off the armor, and this light ought to be animated somehow so that it ebbs and flows. Come to think of it, the lighting on the back of the wall needs to be animated too.

And if you really wanted to set up this shot in the way that it probably would be done, you'd the background, the torch and its light, the suit-of-armor model, and the illumination that is cast upon that model, all as separate compositing-layers. You'd render them all separately and then composite them all together, "tweaking" them all in much the same way that a music producer does a "mix-down" in a recording studio.

"A little more light? A little different color?" Okay, twist the knob and, right away, "let's have a look at it. Okay... right there... perfect!!" Hmm... "Okay, I think we need just a little bit more 'action' on that wall. If you please, just layer in another loop of that flickering-reflection ... just use the existing loop but stick in another copy of it offset by about eight frames. We'll blend the two together and use that. Go ahead and set that up for me, Jeremy, while I slip off to go to the loo. Be right back ..."

Such is the magic of computer graphics. You can blissfully ignore reality in your quest to imitate it. :thumbsup:

Zerafian
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks for the replies guys. I actually found how to reduce the glow and get refractions and reflections to show up.

in the particle shape node.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.