PDA

View Full Version : Carnival

Lindsay4410
08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
So...this is my first time posting in the critique section. I've already got my armor on so I'm ready to be critiqued! :)

This is my final from Digital 2, kinda the last thing I did in college. I don't have anything more recent because it is only last week that I finally got my own copy of maya to work with. hurray!

It's boxy and not the greatest quality..but there it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMw_M_ms5vI

ndeboar
08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey mate,

Been reading your degree thread, good to see your asking for some crit :)

Ok, get your armor ready:

Nothing here really stands out. The modeling is extreamly poor, no lighting/shadows, and a lot of objects dont even appear smoothed.

There are also lots of obvious errors. Like, the texture on the boat is swimming like mad. If something isnt working, your best just cutting it out. Don't put un-finshed work in a final peice.

Generally in cases like this, i say "concentrate on one area and nail it".

Instead of making an entire fair ground, just make, say, a bolt, or a blade of grass. But make it look perfect. Get the small things right first.

Good luck :)

Nicko

Reche23
08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Well a few easy fixes for some of the geometry.

Click your Ice Cream Shop and click conform normals.
Also click the edges on a lot of your geometry and use Bevel. Nothing in real life is that sharp of an edge, you could also click the edges and hit soften normal to make them appear softer.

Your swimming texture might be caused by it being a projection instead of normal, create a material, go to color click checkerbox and see if its set to normal or if its set to projection, you want it to be a normal.

Lighting wise, go outside and at night and see that the sky is a very dark blue and the moon emits a white light, play with the create lights and see what lights would work well for the entire scene.

Might want to look into putting a sky dome or matte painting for background shots.
Might want to rebuild the geometry by finding a lot more reference pics and remodeling from references. Might want to look at the texture you use for grass and play with that as well.

I could go on for a while about a lot of little improvements.

ndeboar
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I dont know though, like it would take a team of 5+ people a month to model/texture/light/animate/render an entire fair ground. Just start again, but something manageable.

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.