PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story / Oblong Eyes

Tristonius
08-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey everyone,
Im currently modelling a female character based on Elastigirl from the Incredibles and Jessie from Toy Story 2. Both of these characters have large, irregular-shaped eyes that allows them to work within the chacracter design.

The problem im having is this- in my replica im using spherical eyes, but they burst through the skin because of their size (and i dont want severe curvature when viewed from the side). I've though about using oblong eyes, but dont' see how it would work when the eyes rotate. Thus I'm wondering how to emulate the effect, deformers maybe?

I feel there may be a very simple solution to this, but im having a mind-freeze. Any help would be really appreciated! Meshes attached

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/32087294.jpg/
http://img44.imageshack.us/i/90302208.jpg/
(bare in mind these eyes etc are just placeholders)

Jessie:
http://pixar.wikia.com/wiki/File:Jessie.jpg

x-GLYTCH-x
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm still kinda new to stuff like this, but I think you could achieve those results by animating the texture instead of the geometry of the eyes.

I've heard about morphing materials... stuff like that XD. Hope that helps.

x-GLYTCH-x
10-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Also you could do it by modeling the head a little better (I think), Try increasing the width of the temple, space the eye holes accordingly and (most important part) sink the eyeholes in slightly deeper.

Good Luck

ViolentMaid
12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Instead of having the whole eye move, try modeling an iris over the main part and animating that.

TheGreatDane
02-23-2010, 01:47 PM
hey, the best way i've found to do this is to do your regualar eye contraint set-up with spherical eyes, then use a lattice to deform the shape to how you want, that way the sphere will rotate within the lattice and maintain the cartoony shape you made :)

spiralof5
02-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Instead of having the whole eye move, try modeling an iris over the main part and animating that.

As stated in this quote, forget about what is realistically possible and go for the achievable. It will take a lot less time and it will be much more convincing. It would be well worth it to try and slide the parts of the eye over the vitreous body (Retina? Sorry I'm not an optical expert.....) especially since, unless you have realistic veins (which I assume you won't copying Pixar), as long as you fake it well, won't be able to see the vitreous body actually move (because it hsould be all one color).

I have been venturing into Tex Avery style characters and have found it more convincing to model an oddly shaped eye with morph targets. Lattices won't work. Your eye will keep shape until you venture beyond a certain radius. At that point it stretches your important parts of the eye and is not acceptable. You could spend weeks writing a script and fail than just doing it the old fashioned, hard and tedious way. When you think about the work involved in trying to shape the iris and cornea via lattices, sculpt deformers, or code you might as well make your eye one mesh and set up 30 morph tagerts, which, incidentally will only cost you a half days work if you are handy.

I know others will completely disagree. That's fine. They probably know the right way to do it but when I asked the same question in a Maya forum 3 years ago I got the same responses you did. My technique was the only thing to solve it.

Sorry so long winded and if others think I'm steering you wrong, listen to them. I just have found no other way as of now?

Spiral

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2010, 06:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.