PDA

View Full Version : single sided geometry SSS or translucency?

cgbeige
08-02-2009, 02:48 AM
I just saw this render feature and drooled since I'm doing this seaweed and it's a pain in the ass doing it as double sided since I need to wrap it around things. It's a fake object depth for single-sided meshes in Maxwell render:

http://maxwellrender.com/version2/muchmore.html

Does something like this exist for MR?

nfrancisj
08-02-2009, 06:20 AM
yea...just use the SSS in MR..you'll get the same result. You need to really tune in the radius and depth. You can also use a texture map that defines the translucency.

Depending on your shot..you can even just use a lambert and just define the transparency with a map as well.

cgbeige
08-02-2009, 07:19 AM
I haven't seen any input for a "fake depth" - do you just change the translucence weight?

edit: sorry, I was referring to the mia_mat

which SSS shader is that in?

nfrancisj
08-02-2009, 07:28 AM
oh ur talking about MIA
I would use the MISSS SIMPLE/FAST

in the mia u can play with the transparency and translucency.
paint a gray scale map of a leaf...where the stems and veins are..make that part black..everything else make a gray or so.

i'm busy at the moment..but if you have difficulty I can make you a vid tutorial. :beer:

cgbeige
08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
no - that sounds pretty straightforward. thanks. I had wrongly assumed that the SSS in MR required a closed volume.

nfrancisj
08-02-2009, 08:17 PM
alrighty...let me know how it turns out:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2009, 08:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.