PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for SMC 14

Digitool
08-01-2009, 07:58 PM
OK, so I'm disappointed in the fact I didn't get time for the last SMC, I was really looking forward to modeling a WWI / II era plane... but personal life trumps certain things.

Anyway, big thanks to all the folks who contributed to the challenge and feel free to still post up some work. It has been long past due that we start the next challenge, so I'm posting up the prep. thread in hopes we can come to a topic by monday for the next challenge.

So what do you guys feel like now?

here are my choices..

-Props (you model 3 props, 30 minutes each. Can be anything that you would consider a prop to a scene)

-ConceptArt.org challenge (this one is kind of tricky. you have to pick a peice of concept art from conceptart.org and give full credit of course to the artist for your reference material, and post what image(s) you use, but you have to model something from that site. we could refine this to characters, robots, architecture, etc. but I'm just tossing out the idea of using another site specifically like this to see what people can come up with)

-food (model your favorite dish!)

IRAFK
08-01-2009, 09:32 PM
all 3 sound good to me

SKeller
08-01-2009, 11:33 PM
i liked the second idea (the conceptart.org one). It's different from everything we've made so far.

IRAFK
08-02-2009, 01:33 AM
yea, that ^^ was my favorite of the 3

Digitool
08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
It will probably be more challenging and a longer time limit.

I understand it is speed modeling, but speed doesn't mean it has to be done in a short period of time. It just means its an accelerated technique and a more difficult timeline.

With a character or something like that, we may have the longest time-limit yet, because modeling facial features and details can be time consuming.

I'll have to say of the 3 that this conceptart.org is my favorite of my 3 suggested....

Keep in mind though, suggest some ideas and help out, I'm not trying to be a decision maker, we are all in the same boat here and so it would be nice to see some other suggestions unless you absolutely would just love to do one that someone had already mentioned.

Katzenminze
08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
hi, i like your ideas!
i think number 2 (conceptart.org) is a good idea beacuse thats a sort of real work condition, having a concept art to work from on a fixed time line. but regarding the fact that we try to speed model to sort of refine our techniques it might be a bit overwhelming (for me at least) so id appreciate something a bit less complicated.
Why dont we restrain our selves to a robot or machine, i find it less ofa hassel than organic modeling. could be any type of machinary, like weapon, robot, wroking gear/vehicle anything with mechanical moving parts?! so its free for everyone to determine his/her own level of difficulty.
what do you guys think?

IRAFK
08-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I saw a past challenge of modeling a dock, someone had modeled a dock that kinda looked like something from far cry, each plank of wood was unique and the dock looked rather, old and dilapidated. I think it would be cool to model something.... destroyed :) like an old castle gate, or bombed out store in a city, or a shack that got caught in a fire. So much of the time we try to make our models look pretty and perfect, this would be an opportunity to create something of the opposite. Theres also a lot of low poly "game" modelers around, this would be good practice for low poly environment modeling. Maybe not for this next challenge, but perhaps the next?

Katzenminze
08-02-2009, 05:42 PM
-double post sorry-

Katzenminze
08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
hey IRAFK
do you maybe have a link to the dock you were talking about? id like to see it
i actuall think its a wonderful idea to model something like this!
we could have a topic like " something that has been destroyed" or "a building that has been destroyed" or a vehicle or an object or and ousehold object or a weapon, sounds cool :)
but we should include texturing cause this adds a lot of dirt and noise and "borkenness" very easily dont you think?

oh and, where would i post a model that was not speed modeled but that i worked a bit longer than? what section would be appropriate?+
thanks

Digitool
08-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I would say work in progress section more than likely.

I'm liking the feedback we're getting. These challenges keep getting more and more interest! I like it!

Katzenminze
08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
okei, ill just post it in the wip threads then, thank you

i like the speedchallenges forum as well, still a small community as far as i can see as a newby here but i like how constant the feedback is.
im looking forward to the next challenge! doesnt feel to me as if there is any pressure while participating. thats good :)

Digitool
08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah. When we got these things started back up, we kind of settled on the decision to leave out the voting for a "best". I felt that a poll would just make it about being the best instead of working on technique and getting practice in. It could also discourage beginners and would go off on a path that would end in a dead end all over again.

So here we are, no competition about it. It's a speed modeling challenge, against yourself, to learn more and get better and stay in practice.

OK, so we have have:

-Destroyed object / building
-Weapons (1 vote)
-ConceptArt.org challenge
-food
-props
-mechanical model, based on concept.

That sound right so far?

Whats everyone want to do (hopefully we can get this started later today or early tomorrow)

Wualforvalle
08-02-2009, 07:29 PM
i liked weapons :P

IRAFK
08-02-2009, 08:06 PM
decisions decisions. For myself I can narrow it down to 3, destroyed building, concept art, and a weapon.
Ranked in order.

Katzenminze
08-02-2009, 10:23 PM
as stated before i like a robot off of coneptart.org best, but i could also settle for weapon or detroyed building food coul dbe fun too :D

dont know yet how much time ill have next week since i have to do a math course first :( not looking forward to it ;)

so hope to be able to participate regardless of what the topic will be

take car

Digitool
08-03-2009, 12:48 AM
hopefully challenge will start tomorrow, and you'll have a week (or so) to make an entry

SKeller
08-03-2009, 02:35 AM
i still like the conceptart idea. I was taking a look at the site and it also has robots and environments.
The only problem i see is that the challenge subject would become too broad.

Digitool
08-03-2009, 03:11 AM
I meant that the topic would be narrowed to a character, robot, or whatever... would probably make it easier....

IRAFK
08-03-2009, 03:39 AM
concept it is

Wualforvalle
08-03-2009, 03:48 AM
that's way to broad

Katzenminze
08-03-2009, 07:43 AM
conept really is too broad in my opinion.
lets try to narrow it down, maybe everyone of us has a look at conceptart.org and well find something? im voting for robots :)

OmarO
08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
how about vegetable? Carrot, tomato etc. with colors and so.

IRAFK
08-03-2009, 02:19 PM
agreed. Digi, can u pick a piece to model from conceptart.org?

*edit* this one is cool -> (cant link the individual images) the steam punkish blue robot fighting the monster. 11 of 15. http://conceptart.org/index.php?artist=Matt+Dixon#

SKeller
08-03-2009, 02:26 PM
what if we did robots from conceptart.org like Katzenminze just said?

IRAFK
08-03-2009, 02:28 PM
this one is the one i was talking about.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii127/jusjoesh/blue_steampunk_robot.jpg

Katzenminze
08-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I have to forward sKeller lets just do as I said ;)

nimbiot
08-03-2009, 05:46 PM
sorry for not posting, I keep forgetting there is another thread besides the current SM session. I like weapons or the concept art suggestions. If you want to narrow it down to robots, that's fine with me. We can do the "destroyed" models next challenge.

Wualforvalle
08-03-2009, 06:31 PM
i fell this is going to robots or weapons...

Wualforvalle
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
am i the only one waiting for the challenge? -_-

SKeller
08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
We have to confirm what the theme will be, since it hasn't been decided yet.
I think robots will be the best choice, since weapons have already been done

IRAFK
08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
i agree...again. are u guys not able to see the pic i posted? thats a robot, from conceptart.org lets roll!

icekiller
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
ConceptArt.org challenge

Digitool
08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
sorry, hadn't had a chance to keep up with the posts until just now.

well, it looks like some sort of mechanical device found from conceptart.org will be the challenge.

I'll keep it from being robot, just in case someone finds something on there that technically doesn't fit under the robot name.

creating thread.

Thanks for the participation, I don't think I've ever seen such a turnout since we got these things back up and going.

icekiller
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Cool, this will be epic

Digitool
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
conceptart.org challenge is up. GOGOGO

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.